Start your day with an architectural marvel - Devgarh
  • Hi Friends,

You would have heard about Devgarh and its exquisite panels, probably. If
    not, then to put it in a nutshell, Devgarh Gupta temple is considered the
    epitome of the Gupta architecture among scholars universally. No one has
    dared to think of another Gupta monument which can surpass this marvelous
    edifice. I would also not dare to do so.

I present to you The Gupta Temple at Devgarh, panels and sculptures of which
    may make your day, if you feel attached to art and architecture. This is the
    last monument in my studies of the Guptas. Few of their temples are still to
    be explored by me, Bhumara and Ahichchhatra are the main ones among those. I
    will try to visit these in my next year's trip to north India.

The next study would be about the Pratiharas and then next the Chalukyas.
    After this I would take up Pandyas. Any friend from the groups, if wants to
    help or get associated with the tours, I would be most pleased to have you
    on board.

Link -
    http://puratattva.in/2011/08/09/devgarh-the-epitome-of-the-guptas-884.html
  • Dear Saurabh

In most books that I have read, the place is known as Deogarh. May be the present name of this down is Devgarh - not sure.

I agree with you that no other Gupta period temple has captured the imaginations of art lovers as much as this temple - popularly known as the DASAVATARA TEMPLE.

Dr C.Sivaramamurti - in his monumental work Art of India - gives two full pages right at the beginning to the reclining Anantasayi

It is one of the earliest occurances of Panchayudha Purushas of Lord Vishnu

Also I remember to have read a paper on the structure of this temple and how this might have served as the prototype for Vishnudharmottaram - the famous work on art and architecture, probably written during Gupta age.
  • Dear Gokul,
    The pronunciation of the place is same, earlier the spelling was Deogarh but
    now it is spelled as Devgarh.
    Identification of Nara-Narayana panel was done on the basis of
    Vishnudharmottara only hence it may be possible that this work was composed
    in the Gupta times, as I have not knowledge about this work so can't comment
    much.
    Thanks for referring Sivaramamurti, I will go through his paper.
  • " ... I agree with you that no other Gupta period temple has captured the imaginations of art lovers as much as this temple - popularly known as the DASAVATARA TEMPLE... "

Ydy was talking to Dr. R. Nagaswamy. His book Chola Bronzes is published by his Tamil Arts Academy - priced at Rs. 1600.

His Vishnu Temples in Kanchipuram - Delhi publication - is priced at Rs. 4800 .

He is kind enough to share a bit of detail quoting the Vedas that RUDHRA ( siva ) was also known as VARAHA !!

anbudan / sps
  • Dear Saurabh

Was crossing Hassan on Tuesday. Thought about you.

Start Mauryas too from Hassan ( Sravanabelagola) where both Chandragupta and Bimpisara spent their final years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters