Maangadu - Surprise - Ashtaparivara temple?
  • In the last 2 months - been visiting various temples in Pallava country for Ramayanam series. Though i am not getting any Ramayana images, there are some surprises.

Mangadu has 3 temples : Velleeswarar, Vaigundapperumal and Kamakshi temples.

Velleeswarar - inscriptions of 3rd Nandivarman, Aparajitha  recorded. Kamakshi temple  a Parantaga inscription recorded but suspected to be of
    Siva temple and in Vaigundapperumal temple inscriptions of Rajendra onwards were recorded sometimes in 1920s.

Later these temples were totally ruined and had to be completely renovated. The inscriptions were all lost except 1 in Velleeswarar temple.

We need to visit once to enjoy the Goshta moortis. Photography was not allowed.

The surprise was in the Perumal temple. 2 dwarabalaks of the temple were looking different. When observed closely,
    found one having 3 legs. On checking with the Bhattar, he confirmed that the image is of agni. The other one is unknown. Eesana is kept in a corner.

A Vishnul temple as Ashta parivara temple. Very interesting. Bhattar allowed me to take photos and are enclosed.
  • so he and Kubera along with Bringi - 3 legs

http://www.poetryinstone.in
    “*Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man*” – Nobel
    laureate, Rabindranath Tagore
  • If we confirm that it is Kubera - then he will have a separate shirine and will have a very good time. ( The Bhattar too)
  • Dear Vj

Lot of temples are waiting for you

Maangadu, Tirutani
  • Do you have the image of agni from big temple?
  • Till now I have not seen Agni with three legs, I will go through all my
    ashta-dikpala pics and try to find if ever he is shown with three legs,
    btw, do you have pic of this three legged image?
  • Dear SLN / Vijay

KUBERA !!

ALREADY MANGADU HAS BECOME
    IMPORTANT SHRINE FOR BRIDES..

NOW FOR ALL THE FAMILY MEMBERS !!

WONDERFUL.

thanks and rgds/. sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters