Panangudi - Agastyesvara Temple
  • Hi Friends,
    Next in line of the early Chola temples is a Shiva temple at Panangudi. I am
    not very sure why these temples are put under early Chola architecture
    classification, probably only based upon their simple architecture and small
    structure. As there are no foundation inscriptions so dating these is very
    tough. Also it is very possible that these temple were not constructed under a
    royal order so their structure is simple and kept small due to constraints of
    funds etc.
    There is a Vishnu temple in this village however I missed it as I did not have
    prior information of that temple.

http://msg4saurabh.blogspot.com/2011/04/panangudi-agastyesvara-temple.html
  • Dear Saurab / Friends

In some prior studies, Panagudi Agastyeswara, Visalur Margapurisvara, Kaliyapatti and Viral Bhumisvara are all termed Muttaraiyar temples

The conclusion is predominantly based on architectural features of the temples not epigraphy.

These are the first generation of Muttaraiyar temples to be built.

The Second generation is Senthalai Sundareswara, Niyamam Iravatheswara and the pinnacle Vijayalaya Choleswara. Some include Nangawaram Sundarswara - an irrukkuvel/muttaraiyar combination - in this group.

Lost temples of Muttaraiyas include a Jain temple at senthalai, a Makali temple at Vallam and another Makali temple at Niyamam.

Interestingly, all of the first generation Shiva temples have / had ashtaparivara sub-shrines.
  • Excellent analysis
  • Hi Gokul sir,
    That study, assigning these temples to Muttaraiyar, might be correct.
    Koranganatha temple at Srinivasanallur has a donative record of Aditya I in his
    24th regnal year (895 CE), the time when he was taking over the Pallava
    territories. This suggests that the temple at Srinivasanallur was already
    constructed by this time and most probable candidates for this construction is
    Muttaraiya-s.

Koranganatha is built with a developed architecture in comparison to Panangudi,
    Visalur, Kaliyapatti etc which further suggests that these other small temples
    would have been dated before Koranganatha. Kodumbalur and Narthamalai are other
    sites which were previously thought of the Cholas however later when foundation
    inscriptions were found these were assigned to Irukkuvel and Muttaraiya
    respectively.

However as I stated earlier, without foundation inscriptions, it is very hard to
    say anything. May you please let me know, if you remember, the name of the book
    where this Muttaraiya theory is talked about.
  • The DMK candidate contesting against Jayalalitha is a muttaraiyar, I
    read in a magazine. Mutharaiyars are a sizable community in Srirangam.
    sampath
  • Dear,
    In olden days, they are very good warriors. Sandilyan in his Mohanasilai, he elborately discuss their life. It is excellent story
  • Very interesting and informative details dear Gokul.

rgds / sps

========

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters