Kodumbalur - Glory of the Irukkuvels
  • Dear Friends,
    Please enjoy a new post on Kodumbalur's celebrated Muvar Koil. This temple has
    some of the most splendid sculptures of India. I would like to know your views
    on the Pallava influence on the art and architecture on this monument. Such an
    influence was suggested by few scholars so would like to know what and how you
    think about it.
    Another interesting thing to notice is the application of Nagara and Dravida
    architecture styles. I put this question to experts here what is major
    difference in these two styles. If someone can help me in this I would really
    grateful for this favor.

http://msg4saurabh.blogspot.com/2011/03/kodumbalur-glory-of-irukkuvels.html
  • was told that some scluptures from this temple were moved to viralimalai temple and most of the goshta devadas in viralimalai belong to these temples.
  • Dear Mr. Saurb, Your coverage is just brilliant. After a quick browse, a smal slip (1) was noted by me.as given below

"Muvar Koil – Muvar Koil in Tamil means ‘three temples’. This complex is known by this name probably because it has three temples inside

Muvar Koil – Muvar Koil in Tamil means ‘three temples’. This complex is known by this name probably because it has three temples inside

'muvar' = three persons ( var is a suffics that implies a person like oruve, iruvar, muvar, nalvar, ........)

'munru' = three ( mere number only )
    onru,irandu, munru, nangu...( 1, 3, 3, 4,...)

Muvar koil
    indicates the collctive comlex for threedeities, seems appropriate.

Thank you,
    VKR
  • Thanks Sankar sir,
    Will try to visit Viralimalai in my next trip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters