Ramayanam before Kamban - 67 Part I - Thirunandikkara
  • Friends - My recent Kanyakumari visit has brought out some interesting items. Also there are many additionally interesting things and hence this week's post will be long and also need to go all over the places.

I will load the images once i complete the 4 or 5 parts. Then that will be interesting.

Thirunandikkara - A cave in Kanyakumari district. Though Popular in Sivalaya Ottam, many in Nagerkoil bus stand dont know the place. This place is close to a place called Kulasekaram. Kulasekaram is about -6 Kms further to Thiruvattaru. Need to take an auto from Kulasekaram ( 30Rs). The cave is just above the main temple. Main temple closes in by 10, and the cave is open till 12.

The cave has many epigraphs.

1. vatteluthu 8th C ( w.o king's name) The sabha met in a year when the ship at Talaikkulam was destroyed - a grant of nadimangalam was made to Nambi Ganapati for a midnight offering.

2. in 9th an offering was made both to the cave temple and the main temple.

3. On a slab in the path of the main temple - Chera Princess Kilanadigal w/o Vijayaragavathevar and D/o Kulasekara thevar made offering for a lamp. ( Inncidentally i happened to have darshan at Thiruvotriyur yesterday where she amade another such offering. She had made offering to temples in Chola country also. Our Vira Rajendran sir had written in detail on her offerings)

4. RRC in 1003 made an offering of a village muttam ( Bharathiraja's kadalorakkavidaigal village is also muttam. both are same?)

This temple once had Chola period Murals on the walls, roof and the inside walls of sanctum. There are info on these murals having Ramayanam. But today part of Vinayaga and a Traces of something like dakshinamoorti alone survive. But looks some body made a book on this when some more murals were visible and that has some Ramayanam. Searching the book. If any one finds that, please inform me)

The Vinayaga and the traces of the other will be posted. (treasure 1)
  • Dear Sankar

Thanks for your detailed mails on your southern tour! Excellent treat as usual. I have studied this area to some extent because of Cherar Kottai. So, many thoughts bubble up in my mind and I shall share a few:

- Thirunandikara is the hailing place of Nandikkaraipputtur vellan kumaran the great general of Rajaditya

- Parantaka did Hiranyagarba at Kanyakumari

- Narayanopanishad is not an irrelevant observation. Its period can be discussed - but the information is not irrelevant. We can open doors for discussions on the concept of Kanya Bhagavati which is not very popular in TN but found in Kerala, ancient TN)

- Guhanathaswami temple records the existance of Srivallabap perunchalai alias rajarajap perunjalai something I have extensively used in Cherar kottai.

- Animal rows are called Prathivari. Majority are Yali busts.

- All chera princesses were called Kokilanadigal. The one you are referring about was the daughter of sthanu ravi. Vijayaragava succeeded sthanuravi

- Vediyach Chattan is a beautiful opening. I request you to visit the dedicated temple of Sastha at Tiruppattur (Chola period). Remember thiruppattur's association with Cheraman perumal
  • Thanks Gokul.

The Kanyakumari concept is in Silambu also. Kotravai referred as Kumari. Will post them in the week end.

The usage of " Kanya Pidari" is also a point to be noted.

ASI sources say that, the so called Ramayana murals disappeared even before their take over.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters