tirumal epigraphs
  • Friends

I have got the entire volumes of TTD inscriptions by Sri Sadhu Subrahmanya Sastry. It isvery heavyand informative butpriced very cheap. ( just Rs 500)They areso heavy that my brother had to hire a help to carry it to his car.

I started reading them andthey arevery absorbing.

In the First Volume he had given the lineage of each empire. For eg if Samavai’s inscription is mentioned, the lineage and history of the entire Pallava race – including Parthivendrans (Samavai is the wife of his subordinate), follows it with Kopperunchingan, Ganda Gopalan along with brief history of each one.

Similarly Pandyas traced from Kadunkon.

The volumes are compiled from Samavai onwards chronologically.

He had given the actualepirgraph in Tamil, Granda, Sanskrit, Telugu and Kannada scripts with word by word English translation.

He also details, where it was found and now where it is kept. (If an epigraph was found on the floor, it was removed and kept in a separate platform/wall propoerly)

The last volume again has the lineage of Kings, Acharyas, Pundits and Traders mentioned in the epigraphs.

It also has a tabular column like – donor, year, and donation details.

I came across a smaller work on Thiruvotriyur temple inscriptions. Our friends have done a similar one on Thiruvalnchuli.

While searching for Ramayana – I had to struggle for finding inscriptions. Then I saw a link by Tamil Arts Academy giving temple wise epigraphs mentioning the ASI volume, where it could be found. That helped me a lot.

Thevaaram.org is listing a few epigraphical details.

Can we do something as “ Sthala Varalru “ along with Sthala Puranam for some temples in these lines. Konjam Puranam, Konjam Pariharam and konjam history.- which can kindlekonjam intrest in history and epigraph protection.
  • Hello Sir,
    May you please let me know from where this book be arranged? Is it possible to
    get it when I come to Chennai next month?
  • > I have got the entire volumes of TTD inscriptions by Sri Sadhu Subrahmanya Sastry. It isvery heavyand informative butpriced very cheap. ( just Rs 500)They areso heavy that my brother had to hire a help to carry it to his car.

Excellent. TTD has actually taken up the work of re-reading and re-editing epigraphs recently

G
  • very nice dear SN.

"" Can we do something as “ Sthala Varalru “ along with Sthala Puranam for some temples in these lines. Konjam Puranam, Konjam Pariharam and konjam history.- which can kindle konjam intrest in history and epigraph protection.. "'

like Ramar before Kambar - start some series on these lines.

Let us get this orgainsed well with more inputs.

warm regards & best wishes, sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters