RRC BRONZE - How proved ?
  • Dear Mutharasan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sivapuram,_Thanjavur_district

details related to Sivapuram Nataraja idol theft and how it was brought back to India.

Wiki has not detailed Dr. Nagaswamy's (State Archeology Head then) special efforts arguement on this substantiating how the Bronze is dated and credited to a specific period of a monarch.

These details are avl in our archives.

I am sure Vijay / Chandra will furnish relevant details.

London Court observed that Dr. Nagaswamy is very through in his approach and his methodoligies need to be relied upon.

rgds/ sps

===========
  • dear sps

The London Nataraja case was won with solid background work.

However, for the current bronze - all studies till date - give an outer date
    of second half of 12th C. ( it was earlier assigned to 13th C). The key
    feature that is used to identify this bronze as a chola king is the anklet
    worn on one leg - only - the left leg. I have seen similar anklet in one of
    the sculptures assigned as vanavarayar king in a temple near kovai. Are
    there any ref to this practise in chola texts - wearing a single anklet on
    left leg.
  • That is nice point dear Vijay.

Let us await other points too.

rgds/ sps
  • Many thanks, SPS. I also read VJ's comment on sole left-leg anklet. Any insight on my "lack of mustache" observation? It is difficult to visualize mustache-less kings in those days. Perhaps there are other evidences that might give us added insights. Thanks, Regards, Raj Mutharasan
  • The bronze statues of Rajaraja and Lokhamadevi were provided along with the Thevara devar (CHandrasekhara)

This means, the entire set of three bronzes were given in such a way that Rajaraja will always be seen worshiping chandrasekhara - who was to be positioned in front of him.

These three were given by the sri kariyam of periyakoil - adittan suriyan thennavan moovenda velan

Precise measurement about the length and weight (palam) of this bronze is available in big temple inscriptions - if I remember correct

all that is required now is a verification of these measurements against the sarabhai bronzes
  • hi gokul

need help to trace the inscription - sps sir
  • interesting that the bronze wears the channavira - the cross belt / chain -
    characteristic of warriors - which we see the brahmasasta sculpture in the
    tirumurthi madabam in mallai

http://www.poetryinstone.in
    Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man
  • Dear Gokul - Vijay - Mutharasan,

Gokul - thanks for the details.

Vijay - I recall it was not solid image. And the metal was not usual Aimpon ( Panchalogam ) also. The composition of this Image (stood corrected from using Idol - dear Katherine ) - was different from regular ones. I was even wondering why it was so.

Currently travelling.

But Vijay - whatzindia Vol II - contains the Bronzes inscribed on the northern corridor - granted by Thennavan moovenda velalan along with Thevara thevar.. ( No : 40 ? ) just check .. currently travelling..
    will try best to revert within couple of days.

We will be having Composition (alloy name ) of the metallic image - Height - and also Solid / Not Solid .. with pedastal - pdestal height - image height - 2 arms etc., etc.

THE INVENTORY MAINTENANCE PROCESS WAS FANTASTIC... and meticulous - true to Chola Administrative Style.. !!

Dear Sakthi - thanks for your kind words.

rgds/ sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters