Evolution of Saivaism and it's development in Tamil Nadu
  • That is madurai Kanchi satish

purananooru has many reference.

1. avvayar comapring the three kings sitting together as the 3 fires of andanar
    2. There is a section in sangam - parpana vagai for songs on them
    3. There are many references in Puram itself on sacrifices.One full song on a Kouniyan Vinnandayan - a anadanan doing havans.
    4. Patitrupathu has a andanan and his wife performing 10 yagams for going to heaven with mortal body and after the 10th yagam they disappear physically before the eyes of every one.
    5. Silappadikaram has - kannagi marrying, indra vizha and kannagi temple kumbabishegam all with velvis.
    can quote n number from sangam

But parapanar came from parpadam ( which is parvadam) has no proof.

i will quote thevaram reference once back to chennai.
  • We also dont understand how Adisaivars alone are sangam age andanars?

Sambandar belongs to the Non Adisaivas and Sundarar is an Adisaivar.

This research totally ignores Vaishnavaites. What about them?

There is of course migration from North, Telugu and Hoisala Country - The research should include the various reference to vedisam.

Any such research should be given clear proof.

Siva Brahmans did exsit even before Cholas - I posted this while discussing Rajaguru. - The Thirupprakadal temple epigraph of parantaka period.

Also we have seen that a brahmin looses his caste once he takes up Administartive and Military responsibilty and called Amadyar and Pramadyar hence after.

The division came when a eprson has to chosse between. Tholkappiyum clearly lists the six duties as discussed earlier. Doing temple job is not of the six duties mentioned in Tholkappiyum

Vedic religion dose not give much importatnce to Temples and in Vedic religion every one can enter the sanctum. Entire North and Upper Andhra practises this till date.

The higher importance given to Temple worship in South and restricting the entry of people to sanctum and making it a full time job of brahmins brought the difference and divide

As per the four groups of Brahmins - Namely Vadamas - Vathimas - Bruhadcharanam and Ashtasahasram.- - Gurukkals belong to Vadamas.

Further it can be argued that - they were all from North Tamilnadu as they belong to 3 groups namely - Kanchipuram, Thiruvalankadu and Thirukkalugukundram. Their head is in these 3 North TN - Thonadi Nadu. Even a Gurukkal in Thirunelveli will be belonging to these 3 temples only. ( This can also be taken for people who study the Adisaivars)

There is another sect - which has a name Chozhiya - who have a central kudumi like deekshidars - who by name itself belong to Chola countey and not follow these 4 division of iyers.
  • sir,
    My observations are:
    they are dark and have several southindian characters.
    Many brahmins of North are also black. There is a wrong notion that all north indians are very fair and theories float on the basis . Chanakya is a kala brahman.
    these adhisaivars are not fluent in sanskrit. when observed in their natural habitats they speak a very common tamil like the locals
    99% of today's tamil brahmins dont know sanskrit. Hence it is not right to assume that not knowing sanskrit makes them different. In fact it is pathetic thatsivachariyars dont know both sanskrit and Tamil.The Saiva conference at Chidambaram, Thiruvavaduthurai Maha Sannidhanam clearly mentioned that he would be happy at least if they maintain the acharam.
    All brahmins in Tamilnadu speak Tamil well and it is not Adisaivaras alone speak in tamil and rest in sanskrit. Many in chennai speak only in madras senthamil.
    They are not treated equally by the other modern sanskrit-andhnars.
    It is true across the country. This clearly shows that brahmins dont considers pujariship as their duty.In north gurukkals are called pujaris and are always treated like that becasue it is considered low to take up job leaving duties. Whatever be the job - Minister, Senatipati or Temple Priest. There is no rule which calls that only Brahmins should do poojas in temple except the agamas.

they are also poor. some of them are frankly below the poverty line. yet they are classified as forward communities. many lack education and women have very miserable existence.
    Is that not the same across the community. Have we not noted so many poor cooks, servers?

many of them admit that they were the first andhanars in the tamilagam. the others (san-andh)came late and they were scholars and got to higher positions and worked as government ministers.the adhisaivars hence had to be subservient to them.
    Did any on enjoy more power than eesana bhattar?

in my anthropological researches( using interviews and social observations) the adhisaivars fit the bill for the sangam age andhanars.
    How? Can you give counter views?

they may have been having higher social status prior to the 10th century(like sundaramoorthynayanar).but after cholan hagemony the so called professional sanskrit-andhanars became dominant!
    Everybody enjoyed equal status - till the temple lands were with temples and private lands were with private people. The moment lands were taken over, the others went to jobs and took up various professions and business. The Sivachariyars inspite of all difficultiesstayed with the temples. Before this Bhakthi Vellam, what ever little food they had, used it for temple poojas. They only saved many temples. Even today many poor temples, some poojas are happenning becasue of them. At the same time, the sivachariyars of bigger temple are well off.
    This is the fact. This is not to demean Gurukkals without whom the temples could not have been protected. I dont have any regard for the moden brahmins either as they left their duties and have a high respect for Sivachariyars for not leaving whatever duties they took up.
    My regard for Gurukkals is different and arguing against these theories and bringing out the facts is different.
  • sir, iam not a professional anthropologist. but i pay interet on variety of people. recently i helped prof.pichappan of madurai for his human genomic project. i identified a small coastal veddoid population in pichavaram and informed him about their significance and he also acknowledged it.

the adhisaivars are very good people. i have been associated with them very closely in chidambaram and mayiladuthurai taluks. i wish more discussions will take place so that more informations will emerge.

gandhi

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters