Period of Azhwars :: Handy reference
  • A member has observed ::

"" your point number 10. includes a period too long.
    Rajashima to Nandivarma PallavaVarma is not definitely in a life of a normal human being.
    In this period was built Kanchi Kailasanatha and Vaikunda Perumal Koil.
    Vaikunda Perumal Koil was a ground up development of Nandivarma. Thirumangai Alawar has sung many poems on this.
    He was definitely closer to Nandivarama Pallava and not Rajashima or Sambandar.
    These are my views..your point number 10. includes a period too long.
    Rajashima to Nandivarma PallavaVarma is not definitely in a life of a normal human being.
    In this period was built Kanchi Kailasanatha and Vaikunda Perumal Koil.
    Vaikunda Perumal Koil was a ground up development of Nandivarma. Thirumangai Alawar has sung many poems on this.
    He was definitely closer to Nandivarama Pallava and not Rajashima or Sambandar.
    These are my views..
    Do let me know if I am incorrect... "

Dear Member,

I agree the period of Thirumangai is covered too long :

The Summery is to bring flashes in our mind (as respected Dhivakar - reacted without scanning through pages !)

Summary of Summary for Bakthi Greats ::

1 ) Appar was a contemporary of Mahendra, Mamalla and the Pandya Arikesari. 580 - 660 AD

2. ) Jnanasambandar was a contemporary of Mamalla I, and Pandya Arikesari Nedumaran. 640-656 A.D.

3 ) Thirumangai was a contemporary of Rajasimha and Nedunjadaiyan of the Pandyas and Nandivarman Pallavamalla and may be assigned between 700 and 800 AD.

4) Nammalvar's date would be about 745 to 780 A.D.

5) Periyalvar was a contemporary of Sri Mara Srivallabha and his date would be Circa 800-885.

6) Andal is to be assigned to the second half of 9th century.

THIS CHRONOLOGY will be more useful & handy - more for History Fiction Writers !!

regards/ sps

===========

best regards / sps
  • Dear SPS,

Andal's period:

I have come across an article saying Andal's period to be second half of 6th century. Reason cited - in theĀ  13th song of Thiruppaavai, there is a phrase "Velli Ezhundhu, Viyazham Urangitru". This is a rare celestial event and based on this Andal's period has been traced to second half of 6th century. I am not sure how far this would be true. Let experts comment on this.
  • Dear Muruganandam,

That is what for these details are brought to light.

But obviously PERIYAZHWAR date is to also to be ascertained.

Sure we will get more details and revert.

best regards/ sps

========
  • Dear Muruganandam

I have heard this from my acharya once, let me chk back with him on this.

- Ravi

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters