Ancient migration
  • Hi,

>Dear Sri:
    >I like to know the number of 4000 years that you use. Thanks. If my memory serves me right, I read that according to Christian scholars and >dating of various lineages in the Bible, the earth was supposed to have been created around 4004 BC. With that as the back drop some of the >earlier proponents of AIT or various flavors of AIT went about dating the >Indus Valley Civilization.

>regards,
    >GRS

Bible is not based on scientific proof.As per Bible Adam and Eve were the first human beings. But as per science, a different theory exists.

Bible was telling sun moves around the earth Now we know what is correct.

As per the findings human being were living in the earth more than 100,000 years ago
  • > Bible is not based on scientific proof.As per Bible Adam and Eve were the first human beings. But as per science, a different theory exists.

yes it is not
    the bible mentioned creation of the world in one stroke some 4000 years ago.
    JERICHO a town repeatedly mentioned it is the oldest inhabited settlement in the world today.carbon dating takes it to 9000 years ago or 9000 bc. one of the two.

venketesh

>
    > Bible was telling sun moves around the earth Now we know what is correct.
    >
    > As per the findings human being were living in the earth more than 100,000 years ago
    >
    > Regards
    > M.A.Eswaran
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
    >
  • Indians knew the sun theory long back sir...

read somewhere that rig vedam mentions that "sun neither rises nor sets"..

also indians knew that earth was round...

kambar mentions in ramayanam while describing narasimhar's avataram ".. kizhindhadhu.. gagana muttai kilarndhadhu..." meaning "torn.. the world egg uprised".. clearly indians knew earth was round and was rotating around the sun..

without this basic understanding indians could not have predicted / continue to predict eclipses to the last possible second. iam referring here to panchangams

with regards

B. Dhiwakar
  • Hi

people in the west have indeed pointed out the huge error
    i lked this one that i read
  • > without this basic understanding indians could not have predicted / continue to predict eclipses to the last possible second. iam referring here to panchangams
    >
    ellam oru kanakku

the way of indian sciences and philosophy to be linked to maths caused greater analytical thinking

but truly speaking diwaker for every good theory we had we had one bad

so it was not a universal beleif.

venketesh

> with regards
    >
    > B. Dhiwakar
    >
    >
    >
  • sir,

good and bad exists .. god and evil exists..

and that is what iam also telling sir. whereas in other cultures, there was not alternative thinking .. so only one belief existed. like galileo or other being targeted by the reliegious establishment reigning supreme at that point of time and in the georgraphy which they operated.

but in India, alternative thinking existed. what we call only the correct one right now also existed previously.

the maths as you say is derived from either analytical thinking or from aathma anubhoothi.

i was discussing about eclipse with my friend having alternate religious belief - he follows islam. he said that our people say that raaghu or snake eats sun during eclipse and was asking what explanation i could give.

it is as simple as this.

i can call you as anusha venktesh, venkatesh, abhivenkat or any other name of you known to me..

similarly raghu is chchaya graham .. i.e. shadow planet, nizhal graham.also he is called as a snake...

so when shadow covers the sun, i can say that raaghu is eating the sun.. so you can interpret in either way that snake is eating or shadow is eating.

like what the acharyas interpreted about the god according to their various schools of thought.

so when the message is being passed on to the generations, it is very much possible that somethings would be more prevalent...

so , what you call bad might be a interpretation of the right thing which has lost its real meaning through the passage of time or due our mccaulay system of education .. condemning all our ancient beliefs which were based on scientific explanation relevant even today.

seeerious mail....
  • Dear GRS

I meant 4000 bc apologies...It is not based on the Bible

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com
  • LoL. I agree and if I might say so you are preaching to the choir here. That is why I used the words "supposed to have been created".
  • All such corrections will have to be done slowly over the course of years; some of the Christians strongly correlate the history and their religion. One reason why they do not attach the word "mythology" to any of the biblical stories - they are called "Biblical Stories"; whereas all miracles in Greek, Roman, Indian etc are usually put into the bucket of mythology.
  • Some of you might have already seen this: http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/

For those who have not, ensoy. It is history so nothing is "Vedavaakku"
  • I'll open a small can of worms here. Naming puranas Mythology vs.
    Bible Stories
    is somewhat comparable to calling murthis -- 'Idols'. That I. word has
    an ugly connotation
    to western ears, meaning worshipping something false - a mere picture
    of the real thing, like in the old Bible, forbidding worship of
    'graven images.'
    I think using term 'murthis' gets away from that negative impression.
    kathie
  • > > Bible was telling sun moves around the earth Now we know what is correct.

If u look at the system from the sun, it would look as the sun moves around :)
    May be the guys have written from the sun, heard sun spots are cooler :)

- R
  • Kathie:
    Yes, one can work on the nuances; and probably discuss the significance of vigharams or murthis. But on the flip side; not all worshipers know, understand, believe or care about the background. In certain cases people do "idol worship".

is really no positive or negative impression. And there is nothing true or false. It is up to each individual - if one person wants to revere and worship a black stone called lingam it is upto the person, similarly if any body wants to revere a black cuboid stone in Mecca or piece of wooden sticks.

Unfortunately some of the Indic scholars or folks work under the Western perspective and try to prove how even in Hinduism there is just one God and we all worship the Supreme under different names. Etc Etc. If you get down to the street, villages and towns people do not know, care, understand or believe in all the philosophical aspects.

To me there is no worms :-) It is one thing to understand different religions and cultures and it is another thing to bend over backwards to please each other. I don't believe in the latter. No point in trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. We are what we are.

regards.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters