History of Marriage, Thali, Pundit's view
  • Dear Friends

Discussed with a learned scholar s on Thali today. According to him Thali is a later addition. No mention in Puranas, Kavyas and Vedas.

The nearest mention he remebers is Soundaryalahari.

He told me that one of his student argued with him that after "kanya Dhan" the father has no right to keep the daugher in his lap and hence the Thali sadangu is ridiculous and the couple should straight away go for thee valam.

He said, i told him that Sastras thought that you will ask this question and have clearly mentioned that " One after a dhan forefits all his rights on the thing except in case of his Daughter. He has the responsibilty of the daughter till her death and passes that responsibility to his son after his death.

Simillarly in case of he having no sons, he has the first right over the first son of his daughter. That grandson will have to the last rites in place of the son. ( No son, Budh narag all later additions to scare people)

In kanya dhan the dhan is not the daughter but her partnership, according to him.

• Hi,
    I had held back this mail for some time, since this discussion thread was not active.
    In this thread there was the mention of Sapthapadhi mantram.
    Kannadasan had done a translation of this in a movie called Lalitha. I had got hold of the lyrics..
    here it is.
    சக்தி ஒரு பாதியாய் சிவனும் ஒரு பாதியாய்
    தர்மத்தில் இணைந்து வாழ்வோம்
    தாய்மை எனும் கோலமாய் தந்தை எனும் பாலமாய்
    தத்துவப் பெருமை காண்போம்

பக்திவழி நேர்மையாய் பண்புவழி மேன்மையாய்
    பாரெல்லாம் வணங்க வாழ்வோம்
    பள்ளியறை கொள்வதில் பரமனடி சேர்வதில்
    பக்தியில் பங்கு கொள்வோம்

பாததிகேசமும் சீரான நாயகன்
    பணிக்கென்று தலைவி வாழ்க
    படுவதொரு துயரேனினும் வருவதொரு சுகமெனினும்
    பதியயித் துணைவன் வாழ்க

தாய்வீடு விட்டபின் தன்வீடு தைழீடென்று
    எண்ணியே தலைவி வாழ்க
    சமகால யோகமிது வெகுகால யாகமென
    சம்சாரம் இனிது வாழ்க
    I hope members will be able to see this, as I have typed it in Tamil.
    Members who do not understand Tamil or read tamil, will have to await a translation, I am sure one of the members would soon deliver.
  • Hi,
    I had held back this mail for some time, since this discussion thread was not active.
    In this thread there was the mention of Sapthapadhi mantram.
    Kannadasan had done a translation of this in a movie called Lalitha. I had got hold of the lyrics..
    here it is.
    சக்தி ஒரு பாதியாய் சிவனும் ஒரு பாதியாய்
    தர்மத்தில் இணைந்து வாழ்வோம்
    தாய்மை எனும் கோலமாய் தந்தை எனும் பாலமாய்
    தத்துவப் பெருமை காண்போம்

பக்திவழி நேர்மையாய் பண்புவழி மேன்மையாய்
    பாரெல்லாம் வணங்க வாழ்வோம்
    பள்ளியறை கொள்வதில் பரமனடி சேர்வதில்
    பக்தியில் பங்கு கொள்வோம்

பாததிகேசமும் சீரான நாயகன்
    பணிக்கென்று தலைவி வாழ்க
    படுவதொரு துயரேனினும் வருவதொரு சுகமெனினும்
    பதியயித் துணைவன் வாழ்க

தாய்வீடு விட்டபின் தன்வீடு தைழீடென்று
    எண்ணியே தலைவி வாழ்க
    சமகால யோகமிது வெகுகால யாகமென
    சம்சாரம் இனிது வாழ்க

I hope members will be able to see this, as I have typed it in Tamil.
    Members who do not understand Tamil or read tamil, will have to await a translation, I am sure one of the members would soon deliver.
  • Hope it works this time.
  • Hi arvind

cant read the words but tell me in the thanglish the starting words

which lalitha was this
    gemini and sujatha? or earlier

venketesh
  • http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/938.html

check this out on the history of that song
  • > http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/938.html

M.S. Viswanathan's music was a delectable highpoint. Armed with Kannadasan's bounty, the Mellisai Mannar composed a set of scintillating songs. Besides lending his own mystic mystique to the SOTD, MSV summoned all his favourite singers to do the needful and then called upon the venerable Thevaram singer of the Kapaleeswarar Temple, Lalgudi Swaminthan to render a few traditional verses.

P. Suseela and MSV sing two versions of `vasanthangaL varum munbE', MSV's fitting answer to Kalyanji-Anandji's touted `mEra jeevan koraa kaagaz'. MSV further springs a surprise by getting Lalgudi Swaminathan to chant the Thevaram verse `maNNil nalla vaNNam vaazhalaam' which flows into `Oradi kadavutkaaga', where Kannadasan's lines glitter as veritable treatises on marriage vows and the spiritual union that the seven steps enshrine. K. Veeramani and Sripathi join Lalgudi Swaminathan midway and whole song takes on the aura of a benedictory hymn.

>
    > check this out on the history of that song
    >
    >
    >

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters