Is Jainism an offshoot of Hinduism
  • Hinduism - Believes Karma, Rebirth and God. Maya covers you and once Maya is removed you will realise infinity ( Poornam)
    Bhudhism - Believes Karama, rebirth and No God ( original one of bhudha). Once Maya is removed you will realise that there is nothing ( Poojyam)
    jainism - Believes karma, rebirth and - God maybe or maynot be after maya.

Later the Bhudhism got divided into mahyana and hinayana. Mhayana made Bhudha the god andadded more gods,

jainism though divided, took the teerthankara lineage as gods and added more.

The Major Difference is on What happens once you overcome Maya and realise. In essence the original Bhudhisam is Athesiam.
  • Hinduism is an evolved religion. It is infantile to say it existed much before Buddism.
    Buddism explained what is "right way of life". It did not shift responsibility for your behaviour to someone like God!
    Buddism pinpointed the right way of life by enunciating the eight-fold tenets. Jainism was slightly different, but placed emphasis on ahimsa.

R. Narasimhan
  • HI Shankar,

I agree with you. I spoke to couple of my Jain friends but they mostly are
    ignorant beyond Mahavira or their history. If Mahavira is the 24th and last
    tirthagara and his time is about 580 BCE, they should have had a very rich
    history. This is what I could get from the Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirthankara

Going thorough the above link, assuming it is true, Jainism looks like an
    offshoot of Hinduism.
  • agree on point no 2. But after Bhudha's death , they changed to "God" and lost relevance.
  • > Hinduism is an evolved religion. It is infantile to say it existed much before Buddism.

:-) Intha kulappam thaan theeratha kulappam
    Major: This confusion is unending confusion...

> Jainism was slightly different, but placed emphasis on ahimsa.

Jainism is an evolved religion. It is infantile to say it emphasized on ahimsa only (Refer history).

Nothing against these religions or what ever,future gen's care a rat's .... what is rebirth and beyond death, they have so much pressure in making a survival now, help them fix the karma concept clean and rest will leave to God or no God or Definitely maybe ...

:-)

- R

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters