Are the later Cholas a 'robber dynasty'? - Can Cholas Be Gods?
  • Adiyen would just like to add a small point. While I respect swamin's desire to call the Vijayala kings "gods" - it is important to ask this question: can anyone defame "gods" as per IPC? One can only blaspheme against gods, not defame them.

You can only have it one way - either later cholas are gods and cannot be defamed, or they are humans and can be defamed. Which is it swamin?

Finally, adiyen would like to humbly protest at this mixing of historical discussion with mythology and worship. If we are to discuss personalities rationally then we have to stop calling them gods and hero-worshipping them. If not, we do a disservice to both history and literature.

Sriman Kalki was so magical that he could transform anyone to a hero by his writing. Like he wrote in the song 'Kaatrinile varum geetham' - Kalki's writings are - kangal panitthida seiyum geetham, kallum karainthidum geetham. But it's all literature, not bare history.

Finally, the true Tamil definition of a god is 'vaiyathul vazvaangu vaazvan vaanuraiyum deivathul vaikkap padum' - I am sorry I cannot see how later Cholas fit this definition.

With my humblest namaskarams

Pallavanambi Mark Sargunam
  • Pallava Nambi Marg Sargunam,

ARE YOU MOCKING AT US ?

sps
  • SPS Sir

I assure you I am not. I take your points seriously. Adiyen would like to apologise if I have spoken wrongly.

And I agree that Gangaikondan may be correctly attirbuted to a king who brought back ganaga jalam to Tamil Nadu.

Please forgive me. But my other points, I feel, are sincere and are worthy of the group's consideration.

Pranams

Pallava Nambi Mark Sargunam
  • Shirman Mark Sargunam-

Kings have status of worship inmany cultures including ours. Dr. Kailasam was referring to that belief; for exampleKandrathithya Chozha is one ruler who devoted his lifetime in the service of Lord Shivaand certainly deserves to be in the class of 'saint king'. Poet Valmiki'sShri Ram is worshiped as God and believed to be an avatar of Vishnu.For non believers he was another king of Ayodhya from Ikshvaku dynasty.  Kalki's RRC sure does not qualify status of God or an avatar, but revered and worshiped as a great hero, like God.One should refrain from the character assassination ofsuch heroes, especially in a forum that espouses the heroism of Chola dynasty in the eloquence of unparalleled writer genius Kalki lest feathers be ruffled.

Let usstick to the subject of your reasoning for calling Cholas the 'robbers' or usurpersand not so great administrators and poor strategistsin their war endeavors.

I am sure you will hear a lot from the members whythe medievalCholaswere exactly the opposite of what you think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters