PVSP Blog?
  • I would like to know whether we can start a PVSP Historcial blog.

Lot of scholars and researchers are there in this forum. This mailing list/yahoo group serves it purpose. But thinking about the peruvizha souvenir , lot of members specifically wrote articles for it .

Stating a PVSP Blog and members contributing essays or articles to it on a regular basis, say once in a month - would encourage people to write as well as be storage house of lot of information .

Writing in Blog format would allow the main essay to be seprate and responses/comments to be separate. Unlike yahoo groups the topics wont get diverted and more focus can be given on the topic.

I own a theme based blog(Tamil Literature) - but I come across lot of information on History (which is not suitable for Tamil Lit blog) but can be contributed so that the knowledge gets shared. I also know how much wealth of info people like VJ have but cant contribute in their blog since their blog is also based on some theme.

Either this can be made as a blog or PVSP online magazine which releases every month or some specific period.

I guess Thiru is testing or using Yahoo group blogs already.

Taking such a step would encourage all the group members to regularly write and also we can have easily searchable pages with valid infomation(its difficult to search articles in yahoo groups).

SPS and other Group Moderators,senior members please consider this.
  • Hi Thiru,

I will start the initiative and contribute a series on Tamil Literature studies.

You decide the method you feel the best to post.

Lets see the response...

If groups members are fine with this I will start of with a blog series.
  • Sir
         1. I want to know whether PSVP Blog is for history or for Tamil Literature or combined. There are blogs already for Tamil Literature, I think.
         2. Whether the blog is going to have articles in Tamil? If yes, how to present articles in Tamil? There are lot of untold facts and findings in history which can be put in Tamil conveniently.

• Hello Sir,

I think as first step start members should start contributing. Irrespective of the field. Lets start of with a broader sphere and if things go well we can narrow it to history or combine Tamil Lit and History or how ever the senior members feel.

I am proposing this due to one major reason - in this group we should develop an attitude of posting articles separately and having discussion separately.

One thing I am noticing quite often is that a topic is started and then replied start coming in. Once replies start coming in counter replies and discussion start - then track is lost.

So starting blog or similar thing would effectively make people to make their post in different place and discussion in a separate place.

This would also be really helpful while searching for articles.

We have so much wealth of information here - but to search and retive from yahoo groups is a big fuss.

Say suppose for example Kalki's character ages...
    if some body post the question in forum, if any person has a valid reply with quotations - he can post it as a blog. So this will effectively separate out the people who want to chip in with one line or few comments and the main article. IF any body feels there needs to be more supplements on the post or feels details are incorrect - he has put counter blog in an article format.

This will help us archiving the better post in one place and all nakkal,comments, diversions in another place.

I remember History of Tamil Scripts series here. Like that people can start writing mini series and comments and discussion of the topic can as usual take place in our group.

Classic example of what I am saying is Kannapar discussion. It started with 'who is older- Kannapar or Karikal ammaiyar' and ended up with probing virginity of Kunti and Mary.

The blog idea is essentially separate out the place to post articles and a platform for discussions and comments.
    This will also encourage some members to search for some reference and also take some time in posting the articles in a proper format instead of an one min email.
  • > 2. Whether the blog is going to have articles in Tamil? If yes, how to present articles in Tamil? There are lot of untold facts and findings in history which can be put in Tamil conveniently.

This should be possible. Unlike Yahoo groups - other sites accept UTF 8.

Thiru can give more details.
  • Dear Vairam,
          The reason you said for creating a Blog for our group is absolutely correct. We never had a discussion to the end in a single path. The replies come like octupus with headed tails. The only discussion we had with minimum deviations was about the PSVP Meet. But this indicates that we have more persons with knowledge and interest to write. Let us share between us and others.
          Just invite for contribution of articles and see, You can edit, check primary sources, and publish. The comments and discussions may continue on another platform.
          Please go ahead and take the first step.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters