A rare work on Pandyan Nedumaaran
  • Hi

Please find below link for the latest upload in Project Madurai - titled
    Pandikkovai.

http://www.projectmadurai.org/pm_etexts/pdf/pm0336.pdf

Not much is known of the author ( even his name is not known) nor the period
    of the work. The end note of this work poses some interesting leads.
  • Dear V.J. Kumar,

I thank you very much for highlighting - that "Paandikkovai" has now been uploaded into the Project Madurai Website and for providing the relevent URL of same. I was in search of this rare Tamil work for quite some time.

My thanks to you again.

Anbudan Virarajendra
  • Dear V.J. Kumar,

I had a quick 'shallow-depth' study over "Paandikkovai" and note the Pandiya king in same is referred to as 'Nedumaran', 'Arikesari' and also as 'Paraankusan'. It also states that he won the region 'Nelveli'.

The Tamil Saiva Saint Suntharamoorthy Naayanaar in his 'Thiruththondar Thohai' of the 7th Thirumurai, refers to the Pandiya king of the period of the Tamil Saiva Saint Thirugnanasampanthar - who was re-converted from Jainism to Saivaism. The reference reads as "Nirai konda sinthaiyaal 'Nelveli' ventThiruththondar Thohai we note the Pandiyan king who won over the Nelveli region is the same 'Nedumaaran' of the Paandikkovai.

Further the Sinnamanur copper plates refers to this Pandiyan as "....Villavanai 'Nelveli'yilum viri polil Sangaramangai Pallavanayum puramkanda 'Paraankusan'.....". Here again we see the Pandiyan king who won over Nelveli is mentioned as Paraankusan as also seen mentioned in Paandikovai.

Further we are aware from the 'Eanaathi Kalvettu' from Maanamathurai which was issued in he 50th year of Sendan Maran (Maran the son of Sendan)as "...Neyveli (Nelveli} poaraar enenthth poli kuruthi.....Sri Sendan 'Maran Arikesari'....". Here too it is confirmed the Pandiyan king who won over Nelveli is the same Maran Arikesari as that of Paandikkovai.

But the Pandiyan king Sendan Maran (Seer Nedumaran of Periyapuraanam)of the Saint Thirugnanasampanthar period, succeeded the Pandiyan throne in A.D.642 and ruled up to A.D.692.

Hence we could safely conclude the literary work Paandikkovai was composed glorifying the Pandiyan king Nedumaaran also known as Paraankusan and Arikesai of the Thirugnanasampanthar period - between A.D.642 and A.D.692.

Virarajendra
  • Hi

there is a referecce that nedumaran was impressed by a bridge of elphants across kollidam by pulkesi.
    this was used by kalki in SS

pulikesi's son perhaps had a battle with nedumaran at thirunelveli. i vaugely remember a reference.

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters