Uttama vs Arulmozhi
  • hi Friends,

Just working on an intro post on the big temple - am stuck in my tamil
    version with regard to defining the relationship between Amv and
    uttama - is he periappa or chittapa?
  • Vijay,

I dont get what you are trying to say about Nandhini here. And what stops Uttama to be AMV's Chittappa? Keeping aside the fiction part, atleast considering that he is the son of Kandaradhittha and that was older than AMV, he is very much his Chittappa.

Just for information, if he should have been AMV's periyappa, ideally, he should have been older than Sundara Chozha which, obiviously, is not the case. So even with all confusions prevailing, by Theory of Elimination, Utthama has to be AMV's Chittappa.

yappa.......
  • -
    Hi
    Having an uncle younger than you is quite common in extended
    families in rural india.

some communities have a name for the younger man of a elder
    generation.
    they call him 'maani' in chettinad.
    venketesh
  • it would definitely be chithappa..
    since ur uncle is younger than u which means he is younger than ur dad!
    hence chithappa
  • 2 of my 2nd cousins are younger than my son.i come from an extended
    family of 3 generations which used to live together 30 years back.
    then it was around 70 members .
    he calls them vada poda- but the relationship is still valid.
  • In Kalki's version, Uthama (be it madhuranthakan or Sendan) are shown as
    almost the same or a little older than AK hence younger than Sundra Chozhar.

In Inscriptions,
    Could it be that he is mentioned to be AMV's 'Periappa' because he is the
    son of this dad's periappa?
  • VIjay,

I dont understand your confusion. A man is termedperiyappa or chittappa, not by theage in comparision with the person to whom the relationship is said.

Simply put, no matter if that person is elder or younger than me. If he is younger than my dad, he is mychittappa. Period. No obviously, Periyappa hasto be only elder than me as he is elder even to my father. 

So, taking the above, Utthama is much younger to SundaraChozha who is theFather of AMV. So he has to,necessarily, be Chittappa and not Periyappa at all. How does it matter if Uttama was elder to AMV? He is not elder than Sundara Choza, who is hiscousin brother,right? SoI still dont understand why you are confused.
  • Oopps !!!!

In the second para, please read "No obviously" as "Now obviously"
  • Father's younger brother is chittappa (we call chittiya); elder brother
    is periappa.

But the proverb 'athaikku meesai mulacha chittappa' is intriguing! Athai
    can be elder or younger to the father!

Sampath
  • That's true. My son (6 yrs) is an uncle, his nephews and nieces are in their early 40s with teenage kids and college going kids!!

Anandhi
  • Hello,
    Naan porakkumbodhey chithappa. Kalyanam aagalame thatha aagitenn! Idhu yebdi
    irukku. Yenakku yennoda annakkum 44 vayasu vidhyasam. 3 Thalamuraikku
    munnadi - Yennoda Thathavum yenga annavoda thathavum sondha anna Thambi -
    Oru thai vayidru pillaigal (Mootha pillai Ilaya pilla saaku pokku kidayadhu)

~ Udanx

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Anandhi Subramanian
  • whether he is younger than you or not, does not count. whether he is younger or elder than you father counts (chithappa and periappa, respectively).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters