Thanjavur
  • Dear all

To experience the beauty of Chola valanadu is something only people of the Ponni(cauvery)delta will understand the lush green feilds and rivers(though dry now)

For those who want to see a bit of tHanjavur,Rajarajacholan and Periyakoil this is useful link.

http://thanjavur.com/bragathe.htm
  • Dear all

I found this in a website
    http://www.hindubooks.org/temples/tamilnadu/tanjore/page17.htm

Its interesting read

Introduction

Tanjore is the headquarters of the Tanjore District of Madras State It is a big town having a Railway Station of the same name on the Southern Railway. The Tamil name of the place is Thanjavoor. Since the time of the Imperial Cholas, Tanjore has
    become famous.

Vijayalaya Chola conquered Thanjavoor about 850 A.D. from the Mutharayar Chiefs and made it the capital for his newly founded line of Imperial Cholas, who ruled over Tamilnad for more than 400 years (850 to 1279).They have left an imperishable mark on its history. Probably
    Tanjore was previously called Tanjai. But others give a derivation to the name from
    Tanjam, a demon who was haunting the locality and was destroyed by God The demon's dying request to Vishnu
    was to name the place after him. His request was granted. Some others also give a derivation from Tanjam meaning refuge; the city being thus called the city of
    refuge.

Tanjore became famous during the reign of Raja Raja Chola I and his grandson. Raja Raja I ruled during the period 985 to 1013 A. D. He built the magnificent temple of Brihadeswara or Raja Rajeswara. It is said that the king was suffering from black leprosy. The remedy to get rid of this was to build a great temple to Lord Siva after bringing the Sivalingam, from the river Narmada. The disease was the result of
    infliction of injuries to animals during his past birth as hunter, said his spiritual preceptor.

The King did not waste time and within six months visited Narmada River with 64 merchants and brought the Sivalingam. It is said that when the Sivalingam was taken out of the water, it went on increasing in size; that is why the Lingam is known as
    Brihadeswara.It took 12 years to complete the construction-of the emple, which is the tallest in South India.

The Great Vimana built over the sanctum sanctorum is 216 feet high with 14 storeys. The style of construction is
    peculiar to the South and is akin to Orissan art of construction of temples, like Bhuvaneswar. The site on which it was constructed is said to be the place where the great sage Naimisaranya lived in
    meditation and prayer.

In the south, generally, Gopurams or towers at the entrances to the four sides of the outer walls or Prakarams are of great height; the central tower or Vimanam over the sanctum sanctorum is usually over- shadowed by the height of the Gopuram. But at Tanjorethe main temple rises above the Gopuram as is seen in the temples of Orissa. Within twelve years the temple was completed and King Raja Raja 1. Did the Kumbhabhishekam (installation ceremony) on the 20th day of the 26th year (1011 A.D.).

The King took his bath in the tank and was cured of his black leprosy and shone in lustre like the moon. He made very liberal
    grants together with his elder sister and queens and son and others. Raja Raja I and his son Rajendra Chola I was great
    conquerors and their territory extended from Ganges to Ceylon and parts of Malaya ArchipelagoThe glory of the newly enlarged empire was reflected in the grandeur of the great temple, a master piece of Dravidian architectural glory. Erected out of the spoils of the conquests, the temple is a fitting memorial to martial achievement. It towers as a monument of piety and religious zeal.

It is interesting to note that a very large sum was spent to construct scaffolding to carry the central stone of the Vimanam, to the summit, for which an incline four miles long on scaffolding had to be made. The huge expenditure and the labor involved can well be imagined.

In the east and south sides of the encircling cloisters are the Yagnasala, the Kitchen, Store Room and Dining Hall and on the west and north sides stand Parivaralayattu Pillaiar, the nine planetary deities in the shape of Lingas, 108 Lingas, and the figures of the guardians of the 8 directions. On the walls are depicted the 64 divine Plays (Lilas) of Siva.

In the sanctum sanctorum stands the Mahalinga like a huge hill, all glowing with lustre. The beauty of the tilak and the purity of the white cloth - on the Linga are unparalleled. There is nothing like this anywhere else in this world. It is unequalled and beyond description. The Avadayar (the lower broad stone) is 54 feet in circumference and 6 feet in height and the Banam. (The upper cylindrical stone) is 231/2 feet in circumference and 9 feet high. When the construction of the temple was completed the Adi Saivas
    installed the Shivalinga in its place.

When they applied the sacred adhesive paste generally used for the purpose of cementing Avadayar and the Banam, the paste melted away and did not bind the two firmly together. The King was much grieved at the mishap. Then an oracle from the skies was heard to say: "If Karur Tevar comes here, the intended work will be accomplished

The King encouraged by this, enquired how to meet that great man. Saint Bhoganath, who was present there in disguise, promised to bring Karur Tevar down to the place and sent to Tevar an intimation in a letter tied up to a crow's leg. In obedience to the Saint'scommands Karur Tevar arrived at the temple.

By the power of his penance he satisfactorily installed the Shivalinga in the Avadayar using his spit Tamboolam as the adhesive paste. This is fully explained in Karur Puranam. The name of Raj Rajeswaramudayar was given to this great Linga. It has also other names such as Adavallan Dakshinameruvitankan and Peruvudayar. Goddess is known by the name Ulagamuzhududayal.

The figure, of Sun and the Moon are carved out on either side of the inner side of doorway to the Mahamandapam and those of Lakshmi and Saraswati on the outer side. There are 252 Lingas in this temple. Mount Kailas, the sacred abode of the Great Siva and Parvati on d mighty Himalayas is called Uttara Meru.

On the same analogy, by reason of the scene depicted on the eastern face on the great vimana just above the terrace of the mandapa, this vimana has come to be known ', Dakshina Meru. This pyramidal structure of vimana of 14 store] rising to a height of 216 feet is clearly visible from all sides. With small pillars, pretty balcony windows and beautiful images carved thereon, Enchants the minds and eyes of all spectators. The vimana is 96 feet square at the bottom

'The stone covering the top of the
    vimana below the spherical-shaped stone stupa under the Kalasa is a single block of granite weighing 80 tons. This gigantic block of stone is said to have been lifted up to a place of such a high setting by means of an incline scaffolding built from a village, Vayalur, four miles away from Tanjore on the road to Kumbakonam. On this stone there is a beautiful octagon shaped stupa? The height of the Kalasa placed on this stupa is
  • Dear all

Just another anectode on Thanjavur
    This is from saraswathi mahal website
    http://www.sarasvatimahallibrary.com/Thanjavur/thanjavur.html

it also traces the history of cholas

It also mentions Vijayalaya as Parakesari....
  • Dear Sri,

This article is full of wrong information and in many instances is
    utterly
    rubbish.
    I don't want to point out which details are incorrect - since they
    are too
    many in number. Better discard the whole article.

There are better sources of info on raajarajeswaram.

Raajaraja was suffering from leprosy ? My god !!
  • It is a nastiest article and dont want to waste time in pointing out
    the mistakes.
  • Dear Gokul

I think thats being too hasty and dismissive..the whole idea of me
    bringing the article on was to let people know whats out there on the
    web

secondly its a site on Myths and Legends...So they are not claiming
    them to be absolute historic facts.

third there are quite a lot of points which are correct...I am not a
    history buff or archeaologist but I certainly felt it atleast
    warrants a reading and still think that way....because there will be
    people searcing on the net and reading that and beleiving it...

Sorry if it wasn't as stimulating as an excavation or olaisuvadi or
    seppedu
  • Come on guys, I’m sure Sridhar had all good intentions posting that
    link……..

Let’s not shoot the messenger :-)

-latha
  • -Dear Mr. Sridhar,

The articles you mailed are definitely informative - looking at
    things from a different plane. For some reasons, when we were
    students, we did not have good opportunities to read more about
    Cheras, in comparison with Cholas or Pandyas. The ratio was
    something close to Chl :Pnd:Chr :: 6:3:1 or so.

The article mailed by you gave us more information on Cheras.

I was not aware that the famous " Icchuvai thavira yaamboi indira
    logum aalum acchuvai perinum venden Arnagamaa Nagullane " Kulasekara
    Alwar was father of Cheraman Perumal.

Those, who had the opportunity to see the Chola Paintings in the
    first floor of the Vimanam are definitely aware of three things:

1. Rajaraja's worshipping at Chidambaram with his Maha-Devis;
    2. Sundara's marriage and reaching Kailasam in Airawatham with
    Cheraman Perumal in a horse leading him, with a Vaanan on the tail of
    Airawatham;
    3. Dakshinamurthy (Sanakati munivars - in that were there Rararaja
    and Karuvurar or not - another stuff we will discuss latter)

These influence of RR are repeatedly depicted in some form or other -
    even though Gnanasambandar & Appar evidently kept the Saivam lamp
    burning in the dark days of Samanam - like Pazhayarai Vadathali
    covered and closed for woship in Appar's days!

Why RR was attracted to Sundarar? Why he is repeatedly impressed
    with Cheraman?

I personally speculate: Sundarar is a Siva worshipper like a common
    man - suspecting the quality of Gold given by Siva, fought with the
    Sabah.. marrying more than one woman and consequent lies etc..
    Inspite of being so, he was considered to be a FRIEND of Siva, when
    others preferred to remain as desciples.
    Cheraman reported to have reached Kailasam - with the same human body
    as per the painting - but after shedding the human body - as per
    Sundarar's last Padhigam - reportedly sent through Varunan! It is
    also evident that Raraja was very much inspired by Kailasam - Meru!
    So there is strong reason for his attraction towards Sundarar -
    Cheraman combine - adds., Kudavoil - the History was also of recent
    past - about 150 yr old only (in 1000 AD).

Chidambaram - even today is dominated by Munkudimi Deekshathars -
    hailing from Cheranadu - following Chera tradition - in the heart
    land of Chola Empire. Vaidhumbai Kalyani's men were deputed there
    in a big way, says Sastri.

However, we experience a nice blend of Chera - Chola combine in the
    two paitings of RR.

Moreover, Kalki says, it was "Pandiyna Abathudavigal" who were behing
    Aditha Karikala - but Ravidasan & Co., hail from Cheranadu! That is a
    real twist in History and someone should find an answer. The answer
    shall definitely lie in chera History and not in Chola or Pandiya
    Histories.

Thus it becomes all the more important to read about Cheras.

I am sure, if not in a haste, we should have a serial of discussions
    on this subject when time permits.

Regards. SB
  • FOR THE BENEFIT OF NEW MEMBERS WHO WANTED TO MORE ON TANJORE:
    HERE IS A WONDERFUL MAIL FROM DR.SRIDHAR. REMAILED FOR NEW COMERS BY
    ME:
  • Hi,
    Yesterday I finished reading PS. Till now my mind not stopping the thinking of story and about cholsa and thanjavur.Im from thajavur but till now i didnt go to tanjore oeriyakovil.After reading this im eagerly waiting to see the temple.
    When im crossing the temple in the bus, just i see the temple from outside and the tower of temple.Thats all. See how i missed the chance to visit there.
    Now when im back to chennai from my native after finishing diwali holidays i saw the temple from the bus...and my mind thinks about the RRC and VD.
    RRC statue is placed outside of the temple.

Next time when i will go to native i will see the temple.

One morething: i came to chennai through kumbakonam. In thanjavur - kumbakonam route , lot of temples showing big gopuram. By seeing that i recalled the song from mahanadhi..
    "Annanil chola mannargal aaki vaithanar aalayam...
    Ammadi enna solluvaen kovil gopuram aayiram.."

NOTE: I Want to read nandhipurathu nayagi...Where shall i get tht in chennai?Pls

BYE..
    Saathmeeka
  • வணக்கம், நான் விக்னேஸ்வரன், மலேசியாவில் வசிக்கிறேன். நல்ல ஒரு தகவலை
    பகிர்ந்து கொள்கிறீர்கள். நன்றி. நானும் அன்மையில் பொன்னியின் செல்வனை படித்து
    முடித்தேன். நாம் வாழ்வில் படிக்கும் புத்தகங்களில் இது மறக்க முடியாத நூலாக
    அமையும் என்பதை சற்றும் தயங்காமல் சொல்லலாம். நான் இப்பொழுது பார்த்திபன் கனவு
    படித்து வருகிறேன்.

நன்றி,
    விக்னேஸ்
  • wow, first time i am seeing a mail completely in tamil in our group.
    Just yesterday I was wondering does any one talks in tamil without
    mixing up any english word at all :).

About PS, for all whoever has read the book, i am sure that would be their
    all time favorite.
  • >
    > நாமக்கு தற்சமயம் தமிழில் உரையாட வாய்பு இருக்கிறது. தகவல்களை தமிழில்
    > பகிர்ந்து கொள்வதால் நமக்கு இன்னும் இலகுவாக இருக்குமே...? நன் பொன்னியின்
    > செல்வன் குழுவிற்கு புதியவன். நண்பர்கள் என்யும் மனதார குழுவில் எற்று
    > கொள்வீர்கள் என எதிர்பார்க்கிறேன். நான் அடுத்த மாதம் இந்திய வர இருக்கிறேன்.
    > கண்டிப்பாக தஞ்சாவூரை சுற்றிபார்க வேண்டுமென உருதியோடு உள்ளேன்.
    >

அன்புடன்
    விக்னேஸ்

>
  • -Hi
    what should one do to be able to read the tamil script

venketesh-- In ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com, "Vikneshwaran
  • Hi Viknesh,

I am pleased to see your mail in Tamil. I too write quite a lot in Tamil..Earlier I was with Vikatan for almost 10 years writing in the name of Delhi Sridhar. I personally feel that Ponniyiselvan group mails should be written in Tamil.. I have Murasu software..Can you help me to write mails in Tamil?
  • > NOTE: I Want to read nandhipurathu nayagi...Where shall i get tht
    in chennai?Pls
    >
    > BYE..
    > Saathmeek

Nandipurathu nayagi
    The book costs rs 295.
    vairavan agencies tel:

However as a sequel to ps I feel vengaiyin mainthan much better. U
    would also
    want to read kaveri mainthan....
  • >
    > வணக்கம் ஐயா...
    >

கண்டிப்பாக நமது தகவல்களை தமிழில் பரிமாரி கொள்ளலாம். எனக்கும் இது சிறந்த
    வழியாக தோன்றுகிறது. நான் தமிழில் எழுதுகிறேன், பிரச்சனை இல்லை. ஆனால் தமிழில்
    எழுதுவதை 'யாகூ' குழுவில் படிபதில் சிலருக்கு சிறமம் எற்படுவதாக தெரிகிறது.
    தமிழ் எழுதுக்கள் சில கனிணிகளில் சரியாக வருவதில்லை என தெரிகிறது. இதை தவிர்க
    வழிகள் உண்டா? நான் இக்குழுவிற்கு புதியவன். எனக்கு சில வழிகாட்டல்
    தேவ்வைபடுகிறது.

நன்றி,
    விக்னேஸ்.

_._,___
    >
  • Hi

I am not able to read a single word of these totally tamil mails.
    wish to know how many are in the same predicament.

and some computer savvy member needs to put in a " user's manual
    soon.
    otherwise a lot of good discussion chances will be missed.

venketesh--- In ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com, "Vikneshwaran
  • Hey Venkat,
    I would like to join the club- waiting to know how to translate.
    with regards,
    shanthi.
  • வணக்கம்,

I use Murasu software..but in Mac..I cant use the old tamil typewriter key board..which I am used to. Mac has Anjal keyboard and tamil99 keyboard..So I am finding it difficult..Anyway let me try and find a way out whether old tamil typewriter key board can be used in Mac..But I love writing in Tamil
  • Hi All,

I have Tamil Unicode fonts installed on my PC and hence I have been able to read Vigneshwaran's email.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters