Can PS be made into a mega-serial?
  • Maybe for those who have not yet read PS the serial may be nice. I feel that if u have already read PS and have ur own imagination of all the characters and places, it will not be really good to see the serial. I listened to the audio verison of Sivagamiyin Sabhatham in radio. It was too bad. I just could not listen. May be this can be our next debate/discussion?? what do you all say?? Regards,Poonguzhali
  • Ah one more old active member....thanks poongulazhi for coming back...I couldnt agree more...the images of maniam and vinu have left a lasting image that putting a face to it may not work....on the contrary thats what people said of mmahabharat teleserial did it not become a megahit..... may be a cartoon serialisation....?we have been down this road before. but i agree no one can match kalkis narration and style thats where most translators struggle veiws guys,,,including mounasanyasi krupa cheers sridhar
  • Advantages
    1. More publicity to PS. Even the people have no time to read the book would get the interest about PS, History of Chola Kings, etc.
    2. Would help to start more studies in the related fields....... as what happened after the Titanic film
    3. Even childrens would get the interest and can get to know how our anchestors were......
    4. Definitely a better way to spend time to watch (than watching the serials with sad or even mad stories.......)

Disadvantages
    1. Mistakes in filming may lead to wrong impressions
    2. Affect the reading habbit

PS: Sorry for writing in points form (and pooooooooooooor English)
  • hi I came to know that they started already a "PS"mega serial before i yr with kamal hassan as vanthiya devan or PS,iam not sure abt that.There r 2 mega serials started with pooja & with kamal hassan as PS or VD & vijakumar as "palu vettaraiyar" & they also got a slot in "sun tv" for releasing it..But after 6 months they dropped that project becoz of funding?Again they started a new "PS" mega serial with "nepolean" as "PS" or"VD" & still they r doing the mega serial, i guess & they r going to release in "sun tv".I cant even imagine napolean as "VD" or "PS".Wat abt u guys?
  • >Maybe for those who have not yet read PS the serial may be nice. I feel
    >that if u have already read PS and have ur own imagination of all the
    >characters and places, it will not be really good to see the serial.

Quite true. Also because of fund / location issues, sections may be cut or
    modified which would be unacceptable from many PS fans point of view. I have
    read and seen quite a few English novels and their movies and I have always
    felt that the moive did not do justice to the book. May be in movies there
    is a time restriction. But even in serials they may be restricted in the no.
    of episodes they can make in the time/cost.
  • Loooong back, when they were selecting artists for the
    PS characters, one of my friends went for interview.
    He "appeared" in some talk shows, quiz programs, and
    the like; so he wanted to try his luck here.

It was amzaing, because he did not know ANYTHING ABOUT
    PONNIYIN SELVAN. All that caught his enthu was that
    line inviting "new faces" to show their talents....:))

Fortunately he did not get selected... I am just
    wondering what would have happened had he been
    selected :(

So, even if they make a "serial", lets pray that
    actors at least have heard something about Ponniyin
    Selvan, not that they should have read.

>including mounasanyasi krupa cheers sridhar

ilavattanguladan saerndhu kattam adikkareengala
    neengalum? Tooooooooo bad!

krupa
  • I agree PS serial or film may be difficult to accept
    for Kalki's fans.But recently Harrypotter film made
    more people read that book.Sameway PS serial may make
    people read find the book & read it.In that view,I
    welcome PS as a serial.
    I feel kalki wanted people to know about our tradition
    & our pride.It was written shortly after independence
    to encourage people to proceed on development path.I
    feel now it's again people need to thnik about certain
    things of our past & try to follow them.PS serail may
    help that.
    Im.Lakshmi
  • Dear LakshmiThat is a different veiwpoint but I guess it depends on the quality of the makers aswell. How many of you have seen Alaiosai which was made as a serial a few years ago there was a mixed response my parents felt the charector selection was not apt... its like casting al pacino as vandhiyadevan......remember the discussion on who would be the best actors in our group not long ago.... so it depends on way it is done and as long as people dont take directorial liberties and distort the storyline and charectors then it all not be a bad idea. sridhar

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters