Dakshinamoorthy in Vishnu temples:
  • Dakshinamoorthy in  Vishnu temples:

The Vimanas had a standard placement of moortis irrespective of whom the temple is dedicated. Dakshinamoorthy in South, Brahma in the North, Vishnu ( Mostly Narasimha) in the west and Indra or the Moolamoorti in east.

Even Vishnu temples had Dakshinamoorthi in South. In later period slowly Dakshinamoorthy in Vishnu temple and Vishnu in Siva temple were changed.

There are still a few temples, mostly in Tirunelveli and following Vaikasana Agama (Vadakalai) have Dakshinamoorthy in the Vimana. The one I have posted is the Ashtanga Vimana of Rajagoplaswamy in Palayamkottai.

In Northern Tammilnadu, Manimangalam, Uthiramerur and Nagalapuram Vishnu temples have Dakshinamoorthi. I have to check Thiruvidanthai.

Kanchi Mahaswami mentioned that in 1930s when the Tirumala Vimanam golden plates were removed for replating, he saw the images of both Dakshinamoorthy and Kannappa Nayanar.

This is another important tradition need to be documented and preserved.

Dakshinamoorthy in  Vishnu temples:

The Vimanas had a standard placement of moortis irrespective of whom the temple is dedicated. Dakshinamoorthy in South, Brahma in the North, Vishnu ( Mostly Narasimha) in the west and Indra or the Moolamoorti in east.

Even Vishnu temples had Dakshinamoorthi in South. In later period slowly Dakshinamoorthy in Vishnu temple and Vishnu in Siva temple were changed.

There are still a few temples, mostly in Tirunelveli and following Vaikasana Agama (Vadakalai) have Dakshinamoorthy in the Vimana. The one I have posted is the Ashtanga Vimana of Rajagoplaswamy in Palayamkottai.

In Northern Tammilnadu, Manimangalam, Uthiramerur and Nagalapuram Vishnu temples have Dakshinamoorthi. I have to check Thiruvidanthai.

Kanchi Mahaswami mentioned that in 1930s when the Tirumala Vimanam golden plates were removed for replating, he saw the images of both Dakshinamoorthy and Kannappa Nayanar.

This is another important tradition need to be documented and preserved.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters