Tiruchanur Siva Temple:
  • Friends:

The Tirumala Inscriptions talk about a Siva Temple in Tiruchuganur.

The Only Ancient Siva temple in Tirupathi is Kapileswara Temple but no such temple is available today in Tiruchanur.

The Lord of that temple is mentioned as: Tippaladisvara Mudaya (r)

Tiruchanur suffered total destrcution by European Powers.

The details from Saptagiri is as under- I need to explore more. Please help in getting more details.

The Details from Saptagiri:

The two inscriptions 1-18 of 1008 A.D. and 1-36 of 1225 A.D. refer to an identically same endowment of about 26 kalanju made for performance of an abhishekam service in the Siva Temple of Tiruchuganur, the date of endowment being 1008 A.D: After the lapse of over two centuries, the complaint was lodged with the officer of the Chola Government that the performance of the service was in default, the only evidence being the stone inscription of 1008 A.D. " After due enquiry, the amount was recovered from the defaulters and paid to the Gurukkal (or archakas) of the temple who became the new trustees.

The other inscription (1- 7) tells, us that the administrative officers ( or Puravu) of Thiru-chuganur village decided to make use of the nett revenue collected in the village, after making payments for all obligatory and essential services, for the maintenance of the local temple. This decision appears to have been taken just after the downfall of the Pallava Empire about 898 A.D. In this connection yet another inscription 1-21 of 1073 A.D. may be noticed. According to this inscription an officer of Virarajendra Chola Devar by name Naranadeva handed over every year to the Shiva temple in Thiruchuganur for maintaining Nandavilakku (perpetual lights) certain taxes known as Vattikkadu and Tiru-gukkasu from Munjapudi village. Cows were also offered to the temple in order that the ghee produced from their milk might be used for the burning of the lamps.

There are again a few instances of endowments made in favour of private parties doing some service or other in the temple, or interested in the performance of it. They were allowed to enjoy the nett annual income after charges for the due performance of the service were met. The earliest instance of such an endowment is the one which was made by a person named Pokklara Pandyadarayar in favour of the Kaikkolar of Tiruchanur in the fourth year of the reign of the Chola King Raja Raja Devar (1220 A.D.). He granted 6 patti of land to be enjoyed by them subject to the performance of some service (the nature of which is missing in the inscription) during the Panguni festival of Alagiya Perumal. Other instances of a similar nature made by the same person are the grant of 6 patti of land in favour of the Seva brahmanas ( or is it Siva Brahmanas?) of the temple of Tippaladisvara Mudaya for offering the deity.
  • Near ALIPIRI entrance, there appeared to be a PARAMESWARA "VINNAGARAM " from Parantaka period.

This was part of a Fort.

Alipiri was the ONLY route to reach Tirumala Hills those days.

Untoward incidents - like fire etc., if any - were allegedly reported using DRUMS / Airhorns from Uphill to down Fort or vice-versa and thus safety ensured.

will look for more details.

sps
  • Alipiri Entrance was newer one came in 20th c.

Actually chandragiri side route was older one. It was revived very recently and you can reach in one hour time or little more from here to Hills.Now TTD gives more publicity to this route and made all arrangements. It is steeper than Alipiri.

The presentreturn ghat road of Tirumala to Tirupati down, was opened for public during last years of British rule. Again it wasRajaji's initiation but he downplayed totally.
  • Thank you Dear Dhivakar .
    I stand corrected.

There was a " Parameswara" Vinnagararm - ancient one - at the down Hill - entry / exit point of the ONLY route existed at that point of time.

regards / sps

============
  • The nearest one near alipiri is Kapileswara swamy temple. That also has some inscriptions. Not sure whether this is the temple.

Have one lead. If possible will go to tiruchanur on Monday.

I was wonering about a peculiar thing in tiruchanur. I will now check all that and confirm on Monday.

If any one has the Tirumala inscriptions, ( 10 Volumes) can give me the details. Otherwise i will try it at tirupati/Tirumala/Hyderabad.

It is not available at TTD Chennai.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters