N A M E S
  • Dear all

Have been very busty lately couldnt really participate...a very good flow of mails from all on various topics dont know where to start...

But Sampath has highlighted a very valid problem but I guess a self limitng one...

The name issue..

It does haunt the tamilians...

The problem is your father not only gets credit for everything ....like me Called Mr Rathinam....thats fine magan thanthaiku attrum udavi...

But there are few who have the passport done the other way that is you have your initial expanded..like L Balakumar becomes Loganathan Balakumar so not only do you run the risk of getting your fathers name as surname you also run the risk of having it as your first name....

The problem doesnt stop there You get married and your wife doesnt want your fathers name behind hers...technically right but try explaining to the imigration authorities and all...Fun

So Nirupama marries Sundar marthandam....but doesnt want to be called Nirupama Marthandam......and some call themselves by thier husbands forename like we do here....etc Gomathi Sridhar

But the hospitals and registries automatically transfer your surname to your children hence Akhash Rathinam and Akhilesh Rathinam....If you are not pedantic and your spouse doesnt mind that kind of becomes your family name like the Subramanimas of West Indies or Chandrapauls of west Indies or the Hussains or Kuars of UK....

Its even more intersting if your spouse still uses her maiden mnmae as mine does its a pain changiong all the documents and similar So she has the previlage of being addressed Mr Sri, Mrs Rathinam, Dr margabanthu,Mrs Margabanthu(that is a bit odd)

So it would be nice to know the Nadhimoolam rishi moolam of there name initial business....May be Periyar was the cause of this loosing the aste name which most had as their surnames...like chettiyar and Nadar and Mudaliar and Iyer during the coloial times and then just lost everything.....
  • It not only haunts tamizhans living abroad.. also tamizhans living outside TN

When i was posted in Chandigarh , i went in search of a house ...

One of the houseowner in sector 32, Kept on asking me what my surname was...

i told him that i do not have a surname and people in TN generally do not have one... but he kept asking me the same.....

atlast the bomb came.... he asked me that since i was not having a surname , was i an Orphan adopted by someone... i.e. he wanted to know whether i was an ADOPTED CHILD...

adhukkumela irukka pudikkaama ..... varen vaadhyarnnu sollittu escape aaitten......
  • chandigarh muttaal sardarji yaaga irukkum

dhiwaker maathiri oru paiyanai adopt seythaal
    vambai vilai koduththu vaangiyathu polirukkum

just joking dhiwaker

welcome back
    3-4 days no signs of you??????????

venketesh
  • venkatesh avargale.... neenga sarvagnan.... ungalukku
    puriyudhu....andha mutta payalukku puriyalaye.....adhukku dhaan
    arisi saapudanum.. daily chapathi thunnaa moolai mazhungidum ....

enga office la oruthan manager ngra perla irukkaan..... ennai paathu
    velai seiyya solraan..... adhu dhaan 3 -4 days vara mudiyalai....
  • this dhiwaker is psychic
    yesterday i asked about the neivedyam for artha jamam for ranganathar
    at srirangam

no answers
    and this dhiwaker in a totally unrelated mail talks about chappathi

yes i am told that the neivdyam for arangan at night is chappathi and
    butter.
  • ellaam neram... neenga mattum dhaan ennai "loosu" nnu sollalai.....
    neengalum ippo sollittenga....

namma janana jaadhagam appadi....
  • dear dhiwaker
    -psychic is not psycho

psychic is somebody who can forsee or unexplainably predict something

that was a compliment for your chappathi comment
  • Venkatesh Avargale,

i saw the meaning in dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=psychic

but neenga ezhudhinadhai padichu yaaraavadhu thappa
    purinjikinaanganna enna panradhu nnu dhaan appadi oru mail pottu
    unga vaayaala solla vaichchen.....

thappu pannirundhaa mannichikkonga....
  • pona janmaththil aniruthta Biramaraayaraay irunthiruppaay
    venketesh
  • Hello diwakar,
    Manager lolu universal pola iruku??.. wish naalpoora kovil kolathuku porathukum ..books padikarathukum yaaravathu sambalam pootu koduthangana nalla erukum..
    Meena.,
  • Dear Meena,

neenga solradhu 100% True.. yaaraavadhu neenga sonna maadhiri sambalam kuduthaa nalla irukkum....

but ithanai imsaikkum naduvula andha aal kannula molagaa thoovittu discussion la kalandhukkaradhu sugame sugam....

thiruttu maanga ruchi romba jaasthiyaa irukkum

"entha ruchi ra rama....."
  • en sir,

ungalukku vera nalla character kidakkaliyaa compare panradhukku????

anyway i think "Thyagabhoomi" also has been made into a movie...

but i doubt whether "Alaiosai "" has been made..... if it is made that will be the best thing to happen

for PS is a Historic grandeur , Alaiosai, believe me though a social novel can equal PS in all counts and at places overpowers PS.....

Alaiosai padichavangalukku puriyum... in case padikkaadhavanga.. dhayavu seidhu padinga...
  • kavalaye padaadheenga...

ennoda bhathikku mechi Arangan ennai thannoda saerthundappuram oru
    pudhu neivedhyam uruvaagum...

idiyappam & Paaya..
  • > Because of Thulukka Naachiar, the early morning Nivedhyam in
    > Srirangam is ( HOLD BREATH ) :: BUN & TEA!

One more thing which I personally witnessed: The lord was wearing a
    coloured dhothi during one of the thirumanjanams. I was expecting a
    white dhothi but was surprised to see a colured one that too with
    squares on it.

Later on I was told that it is a lungi ! Also worn in memory of
    thulukka nachiyar during thirumanjanams

When you watch the small idol of ranganatha in close proximity it does
    something to you. I am not really sure if this is the historic and
    authentic idol (some scholars disagree) carried and nurtured by
    greatest of vaishnavite saints - but it certainly does something to you
    when seen in close proximity. The feeling can only be experienced.

I intend to write about the main dhruvabhera image of lord ranganatha
    in due course of time
  • Dear Diwa
    Aliosai was serialised in DD
  • ,Dear Sri,

Now I remember that.. that was when i was schooling.... also alaiosai was broadcast( olichithiram format) in AIR from 7.45 am to 8 a.m .during Fridays long back....

" andha naal gnapagam nenjile vandhadhey nanbane nanbane nanbane...."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters