Rajendra Cholas wars
  • Dear All,
    I have read quite some about RC I's war from wiki. Nevertheless i am
    curious to know if he did wage any war with the Pallavas?If so what was
    the motive? Also is it true that he too sent many missions on the quest
    of the Pandyan crown jewel?
    Also i wanted to know how was his welcome amongst the general public?
    Were there no questions raised on the construction of
    GangaicondalCholapuram temple in compettiton with the Brihadeeswarar
    temple?
    Thanks!Best regards,Gayathri
  • DearGayathri,
    The last ruler of Pallava Dynasty was Aparajitavarman (CE 882–
    CE 897) >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aparajitavarman
    He was conquered by Aditya Cola (c. 871 – c. 907 CE) the great
    great grandpa of Rajendra Chola I in 897 CE in a battle.
    That ends the Pallava Dynasty. As of my understanding, afterAparajitavarmanno Pallava offspring had the capacity to wage a war against the Chola
    dynasty.
  • Pallavas were expelled by Cholas in 9th century A.D.

Pls read Vengaiyin maindhan by Akilan for the war in Srilanka and Gangapurikkavalan by Vikraman to know abt Rjc...

GKC was not built in competition with Big Temple... Temple Building, leads to the town building...

Thanking You

SakthiSree
  • > > Also i wanted to know how was his welcome amongst the general public? Were there no questions raised on the construction of GangaicondalCholapuram temple in compettiton with the Brihadeeswarar temple?

Actually a point that should be analysed. how soon was GKC started after rajarajans demise
    how long did tanjore remain the capital after rajaraja( no other chola king ruled from tanjore)> >
  • Dear sir,

RRC took around 7 years to make the Big Temple only... His son added a city around GKC temple. It seems that, he may took more time than his Father...

Behind the construction process, there is a Great Factor to be considered is Need Of Water...

Was there any great water source as supportable for making a Capital City?

Thanking You

SakthiSree
  • The inscriptions in Kamarasavalli mention about a "Kothandaraman" Vaikkal - Kothandaraman is Aditya Chola's Name. That was passing through Kamarasavalli. Kollidam is near by to GKC.
  • Dear All
    The topic can be viewed from various angles ..say from the perspectives of sociologists,architects....The inspirations may be one or several combinations such as Astrologers through Raja Gurus or Aasthana Priests, peer pressures , or their own Wisdom or Raja thantrams to keep their citizen fully engaged .
    Considering Rajendra cholas vicinity and familiarity to Architecture and All powerful army well groomed by his father should have given the immense courage to successfully launch in both fronts ...He must have had the best cooperation from his family and his ministers.
    Solving or understanding Him is not easy I suppose!!
    HARIHARAN
  • Definitely before the 25th regnal year, since the Esalam plates mention the
    city and the temple.

Probably soon after the time of the northern expedition, given the name of
    the place - no point calling it Gangaikonda, without kondifying gangai...

I don't know how long it would have taken, but it was complete by year 25.

It's hard to say when the capital was shifted, though. My theory is that
    during the northern campaigns, they would have faced serious difficulties
    crossing Kollidam every time. By then the center of the empire had shifted
    north, so neither Tanjore nor Uraiyur was a great location anymore.

And they probably paid for that decision with the Pandya revival - hard to
    keep an eye on them when you're on the other side of the Kollidam.

If you notice, several times, they issued grants from Kanchi, so that was
    probably the forward operations base...

Shash

> > Also i wanted to know how was his welcome amongst the general public?
    Were there no questions raised on the construction of
    GangaicondalCholapuram temple in compettiton with the Brihadeeswarar temple?

Actually a point that should be analysed. how soon was GKC started after
    rajarajans demise
    how long did tanjore remain the capital after rajaraja( no other chola king
    ruled from tanjore)> >
  • I think the following inscription may be the earliest notification of GKC
    No. 20 (Page No 15)
    (A. R. No. 20 of 1906)
    Tangavur District, Mayuram Taluk, Tirukkadiyur
    Amritaghatesvara Temple-On The North Base Of The Central Shrine
    Parak. Rajendra-Chorla I – 15th Year (A.D. 1028-29)

The year given by the epigraphist seems to be not right... The actual year is 1026-27 (i.e 15th reigning year)
    This begins with the introduction Tiru manmi valara etc. It records an endow ment of 140 kasu by a merchant of Gangaikondasolapuram by name Manikka-vaniyan Sandiran. Kidarangondasola Mayilatti, for the purpose of feeding with 2mahesvaras after the midday offerings to the god. The amount was deposited with the mahasabha of Tirukkadavur. Ambar-nadu is here mentioned as a division of uyyakkondar-valanadu.

An inscription at Bigtemple mentions His 19th year (1030-31)

This inscription records that, on the 242ndday of the 19th year of this reign, Rajendra-Choladeva granted a yearly allowance of paddy to a Saiva priest of the Rajarajesvara temple. He issued this order from his palace at Gangaikonda-Sorapuram.

http://www.whatisindia.com/inscriptions/south_indian_inscriptions/volume_2/no_20_south_wall_1st_2nd_tiers.html

Thanking You

SakthiSree
  • Thanks SakthiSree for the brilliant link.
    I was reading and wanted to know more about Samgramavijayottungavarma's
    death.Would you be able to share some details about htis too?

Awaiting a reply.
    Thanks!
  • Esalam, Brahmadesam and Ennaiyiram were the places Rajendra spent his last
    days.
  • I tried to know abt him, but the region of SEA - no inscriptions and the scholars says no details except from Rajendra who defeated him... Chinese records also not mentions his name.

Thanking You

SakthiSree
  • Thanks for the clarification Sir.
    Where can i access more information regarding the Chola maritime techniques apart form that which is mentioned in wikipedia?
  • Date: 17-05-2013

Dear Ms Gayathri,

You have mentioned below your interest in Sangirama Vijayotungavarman's death etc.

Please go through Part 2 of my Thread in Mayyam Hub Website to which you could get connected by following the URL below.

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9381-The-Medieval-Chola-Empire-and-it-s-relations-with-Malaysia-Indonesia-amp-Thailand-P2

Trust same will be of interest to you. Please note this Thread is still under construction among many others in this Website. However it will be completed soon with all "available evidences" at an early date from in India and in these Lands.

Trust same will be of some interest to you.

Virarajendra
  • sir - so much info in a free flowing style. Thanks a lot sir

• Date: 18-5-2013

Dear Sankaranarayanan,

I trust the Part - 1 & Part - 3 of this Thread too will be of much interest to you.

But they are all still under construction and "more evidences" for all what is stated in same, are to be posted soon. Also the evidences to my other Chola Empire related articles too will be posted under the respective Threads at an early date

Follow the URLs given below to reach the other two parts.

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9354-The-Medieval-Chola-Empire-and-it-s-relations-with-Malaysia-Indonesia-amp-Thailand-P1

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?9386-The-Medieval-Chola-Empire-and-it-s-relations-with-Malaysia-Indonesia-amp-Thailand-P3

Virarajendra
  • Hi Vijay, others

I tried to get a copy of this book & it looks this book has gone out of print.

Does anyone know a place where a copy could be bought? or Does anyone know the author who can help out?
  • Check this site sir... If has any issue, pls send me a personal mail..

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Chola+Navigation+Package&sts=t

Thanking You

SakthiSree

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters