Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com
  • Dear Gokul
    Fantastic book! really impressed by your story telling style akin to Kalki and I mean narrator with the reader journeying together as that gives you the option of keeping important twists on the guise of whatever impedes!
    You defintely have taken a great deal of pain to bring the book all the references and impetus on a great art of ancient India.
    The twists and turns keep the reader glued to the book though some twists are expected.

It was great to twist a tale spanning generations all stemming from a single event of martial arts and culminating there but in the process affecting so many lives as well as the three states of ancient tamialagam.

It was great to potray even the enemies in a balanced light rather than paint them black...but equally well a few places the Kings counsel are potrayed like impatient dimwits (Pallavarayar, Marayar etc) this could have been avoided.

I agree with Anand Vaidyanathan about the cover illustrations.
    The books are not of a professional whetting his literary passions but a professional writing.

There were a few editing errors missed ( more than happy to proof read Udhabhanu)
    A few time lines and ages could have been clearer rathaer than Ilayavar etc..because the reader is left confused as to who is young

I liked the illustrations and immediately went to gokulseshadri.co.uk but it did not exist? May I suggest a coloured illustation of all the pictures and sculptures in your book in the website.

The impetus on the marial arts were phenominal...a few loose ends ....

Really enjoyed it
    Well down...You must really be proud and I am proud to have such a gifted friend and a signed copy of the book will be greatly cherished.

KR

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson
  • Dear Gokul,

I was about to leave for a long vacation when I received the books from Udumalai.com. I skipped reading the first volume as I have already read them a couple of times online :)) I finished the second volume arnd 3.00 AM on the day of my departure :)) (and was sleeping in the flight!!). However, I returned last week and have been reading the book leisurely again and just finished it day before.

I agree with most of the comments below. I feel it is an excellent novel.
    * Storytelling is superb with a clear story line

* Characterization is nice - instead of showing every one with a serious face you have also added a lighter side to most of the characters which is cool
    * Your extensive research on history and martial arts and cultural details are amazing - wonder if any other writer has gone so deep yet. It is not too much to say this is setting new standards in historical story telling
    * Illustrations and references show your commitment to make sure readers are with you
    * You have tried to treat everyone with respect (from all sides) - a healthy trend
    * The society and social practices that you have exhibited (though limited) is much matured and consistent
    * Romance and detailing about someone's looks (mostly women) is so boring and reduces the novel to mere words which you have wonderfully avoided - only sticking to important details to visualize people - which is a great plus too. This is one thing which I feel Kalki himself could have avoided...Too much of Nandini's beauty in PS.
    * You might have avoided giving readers the clue of Sankarshana namboodiri's last words
    * Technical aspects of Kalari is excellent - want to know how much of that is true Vs. creative.
    * Thanai thalaivar = Nandini?? or Sembian madheviyar???
    * Missing VD. :((
    * Guru slokas and other sanskrit versus - have you written them or they have been taken from an authentic resource. They are wonderful.
    * I like the way you haveportrayedRRC in the climax - matured, well behaved, and seeking to avoid human losses. Not clear if the final unfortunate event is your perception or real fact.
    * If someone makes a movie of the novel - it would be a visual treat - An action packed period thriller :))
    * And a lot of other pluses... a great dedicated effort. My hearty wishes and congrats to you.
    A few improvements...
    * Places like Tanjore and aaralvaimozhi etc - and Kerala's history and political structure are described in detail more than once - slows down the story.
    * pictures and illustrations could have been in color
    * The cover painting is good but a little dull for the content
    * A few martial arts - action sequences can beillustratedby renowned artists such as Sri. Padmavasan would have been wonderful...
    Thank you for presenting us with such an excellentliterature.

My husband is reading Paisaasam these days - will send you his comments on both the novels after he finishes them :))
  • Dear Sri

Thank you very much for a well balanced review and wonderful comments. Overall the reviews have been very positive and the book is doing extremely well.

Thanks to you and PS group members for constantly encouraging me on my crazy endeavors.
  • Dear Swarna

My very sincere thanks to you for a detailed review and comments. You have nicely captured the quintessence of the novel.

Almost all details related to Kalari and Martial arts are real. No imaginations.

Cover design has always been a challenge. Must continuously work on it. Seems to be better than my three works - that's the only solace:-)

Looking forward to your husband's comments on paisaasam

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters