Earliest inscription in Malayalam in Edakal Cave - Iravatham Mahadevan
  • Did Tamil give birth to Malayalam? Or did Tamil and Malayalam share a proto-language from which both were born?
  • and to add to that doubt - what actually was "Malai Naattuk Kodunthamizh"?
  • Or are both questions misplaced?

How do you define when one language begins and the other ends? If, for
    example, you say "Malayalam is an off-shoot of Tamil", at what point in
    history do you say "now it's Malayalam, not Tamil anymore"?

If it's a common root, at what point do you say "now both have diverged
    from the root"?

Also, the Tamil we speek today is as different from the Tamil of 1500 years
    ago, as Malayalam (ok, probably a bit less, but still). Do you consider
    that Tamil to be a different language from which both modern Tamil and
    Malayalam are derived?

These questions always struck me as being voodoo!

Shash
  • Or probably at one point of time malayalam was considered a dialect or slang of old tamil.??
  • To answer that, we first need an answer to the more basic question - what
    separates a language and a dialect. When do we consider to dialects to have
    become different languages?

Shash
  • Tamil gave birth to Malayalam. Ezthuthachchan was the father of Malayalam language. I think Malayalam language came into existence after 7th Century.

Raj
  • >>> at what point in history do you say "now it's Malayalam, not Tamil anymore"?
    [GRS]It would not be a point, but a time period in history. Differences creep up over time.

>>> If it's a common root, at what point do you say "now both have diverged from the root"?
    [GRS]When they start developing independently from the 'root'. Adding/changing/borrowing words independently from each other.

>>Do you consider that Tamil to be a different language from which both modern Tamil and Malayalam are derived?
    [GRS]Isn't that question an implicit acceptance of evolution of languages :-) ? I am no lingual expert, however I have no problems in calling 'that tamil' different from the modern day tamil. After all we do call the early form of butterflies as caterpillar, frogs as tadpoles etc. But we do acknoledge them as the source of evolution.
  • Dear Raj,
    That Malayalam-Brahmi script itself dated 4-5th centuary C.E. So, possibly, the language is older than 4th century C.E.Also go through Writer Jeyamohan's reply to me :http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=27970

regards,K. Saravanakumar,Kalpakkamhttps://sites.google.com/site/tnexplore/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters