Happy Rama Navami
  • நன்மையையும் செல்வமும் நாளும் நல்குமே
    திண்மையும் பாவமும் சிதைந்து தேயுமே
    ஜென்மமும் மரணமும் இன்றி தீருமே
    இம்மையே "ராமா" என்ற இரண்டு எழுத்தினால்.And where is Rama’s like or superior inepicstory? Can we name Nestor along with him? Can we name Ulysses? Can we
    name the pious AEneas? Can we name Yudhishthira or Bhishma? Can we name along with him even the Messiah of
    Paradise Lost or Him of Paradise Regained? We think every one of these falls 'short by many an inch of the stature of our
    Rama. Rama has the valour of Achilles, but is free from the littleness that would, for instance, conjure Jove to hurl the
    Greeks, his own countrymen,. .... headlong to their fleet and main.
    To heap the shores with copious death and bring The Greeks to know the curse of such a King.
    Rama has the dignity of Nestor and the cleverness and the skill of Ulysses, but Nestor lacks the fire and delicate moral
    sensibility and Ulysses the straightness, of the Prachanda Kodanda Rama who will go through fire rather than go back
    upon his pledged word. The Messiah is not worked up by Milton with the same power with which he has worked up his
    Satan and Beelzebub or Adam and Eve, and his figure does not leave a lasting impression upon the readers’ imagination as
    does the figure of Satan; and there is a shadowiness about him which takes away a great deal from him, though as literary
    creations they impress the reader with no less force than the character of ourhero.
    In fact, Valmiki searched long for an idealherowhose achievements he could work out into a Mahakavya, and Narada
    suggested to him the name of Shri Rama as the proper subject for his contemplated poem. And grandly has Valmiki
    exalted and idealised the character of the greathero.
    VVS Iyer - Kamba Ramayana an Appraisalமும்மை சால் உலகுக்கு எல்லாம் மூல மந்திரத்தை,
    முற்றும் தம்மையே தமர்க்கு நல்கும் தனிப்பெரும் பதத்தைத், தானே
    இம்மையே எழுமை நோய்க்கும் மருந்தினை, 'ராமா' என்னும்
    செம்மை சேர் நாமம் தன்னைக், கண்களின் தெரியக் கண்டான்!
    Regards,S.KarthikVandemataram
  • According to Thirumalpuram inscriptions, in Chola period Rama's birthday was celebrated in the month of Chithirai Punarpoosa nakshatram.

Celebrating on the star day is called jayanthi - hence it was Rama Jayanthi.

In Krishnas case simha month ( avani) ashtami rohini ie both titi and star were used. That is why it is called both Janmashtami and Krishna jayanthi
  • I just read in Nakkeeran website that Kambarr did hia Ramayana Arengetram in 886 AD,

and so I attach my emal to their website

Please comment...

" It seems
    inconceivable that KAMBARR did Raamaayanaa arengetram in 886AD as per your
    article. It has been established that Vijayaalaya Chola & son Aadhityaa
    defeated the Paalavaas[Aparaajitha] in 864 AD. The Big temple at Tanjaavur was
    built about 1010AD [RajaraajaI died 1014, & his son Rajendra I died 1044] ,
    and it was after his 3 sons died that Kulottunga I was king- KAMBARR has been
    said to serve either Kulottunga II [ or even Kulottungga III] - so I cannot
    accept your dates Sincerely Chandhru MALAYSIA"

Chandran LR
       writing as
    Ellaar See
    I believe in the String Theory; NO paper was wasted , sparing trees,                                                                                  but billions    of electrons and  neutrinos  were sent into turbulence...
  • Dear Sir,

There is a parallel view of kamban in 9th C. That argument also has some valid points.

Can you send me the link.

But Mu Ragava Iyengar and Kamil zvabil date him to 12th C.
  • Kamba Ramayana itself has been interpolated ,expanded and large additionshave been added.Rasikamani TKC has researched this over and said that only 4000 and some lines onlybelong to Kambar and rest of it belongs to various persons who have done the additions over a period of time.So it is quite possible that the Kamba Ramayana Arangetram may have been done in 9th Century.Unless it is that old, there is very less scope for such large expansions and interpolationsthat even exceeds the original work !!!!
    It is to be noted that Thirumangai Alwar writes about Squirrel (anil) story while building the bridge and that is found missing in Kamba Ramayana.Hence quite possible that both Alwar and Kambar's work were recent contempories otherwise it must have been included in the legend.
    Also it must be noted that a great poet like Kambar cannot be author of some lines which are outright blasphemy and have been critised by a great admirer of Kambar like Va.Ve.Su and not to speak of non admirers like Aringnar Annadurai.
    Regards,S.KarthikVandemataram
  • I want to read that article dating kambar to 9th C. Pl post the link. Dr R N also suggested that Kambar may be of 9th C.

Additions deletions to Kambar is not right. Rasikamani's suggestions were discarded by many.

There were different versions of Ramayanam. They can't be said as later expansions.

We have miniatures which are different from Valmiki and kamban and not even mentioned by Tulsi who is much later.

With lot of respects to Rasikamani, researches by kamil zvebil arescientific. Our Vairam has made a post on thisusing a simpler approach witha few film songs. Kamil dates Kambar to 12th.

Kambar clearly mentions that he followed Valmiki. But there are differences like Ahalya story ( A K Ramanujan high lighted this) and like annalum nokkinan avalum nokkinal. I have material proof to show that this tradition existed in 850. I have a totally different third version of ahalya story compiled from many literray sources before 7th C.

I have 3 different images of putra kameshti yagam. 850 CE, 930 CE and 950 CE.

That is why i want to visit all the temples and collect all the images before making any observations.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters