RRC Birthday
  •  Is it true that RRC was born on Aippasi Sadayam. Are there literary evidences in support of this?
    Ramachandrasekhar 
    Hari Om
  • I think yesterday, there was a news in TV saying that in periyakoil, RRC's
    1026th birthday was celebrated. I wonder how do they know the year of RRC's
    bday, to calculate it as 1026th Bday. I think they mixed up with his year
    of crowing with his birth year.
  • Yes, Mr.Satish,you are correct.YesterdayI attended the function.One Tnj MunicipalCouncillor Mr.Rajeswaran,also INTACH member,touched thispointand raised a question regarding the birth year of RRC.According to him, when RRC was crowned he might have attained 34 years(approximately) after that he ruled for 29 years.So this year it must be 1060th birth day of RRC.So far nobody has raised this important question, I think. Hope our group will find the answer.N.S.
  • The year of birth is not referenced. The star is based on endowments
    mentioned in inscriptions to commemorate his star. Sps sir, might have the
    actual references
  • yes, sir! very true! according to the reknowned archaeologist, Sri. N. Sethuraman, RRC was born in the year 947 AD. He was crowned in the year 985 AD, 15 yrs after Maduranthaka Utthama Chozhar was crowned. A lot of people say that AK was 28 yrs of age when he was assassinated in 969. It is also said that Kundavai was two yrs younger to AK and Arulmozhi was 4 yrs younger to Kundavai. Based on all these points I have arrived at this :

Aditha Karikalan was born in the
    year 941. Kundavai was born in the year 943. Arulmozhi Varman was born in the
    year 947. When Arulmozhi was born, Kundavai was 4 years old and Aditha Karikalan was 6 years old.
    Aditha Karikalan was assassinated
    in the year 969. He was 28 years old. At that time, Kundavai was 26 years old.
    Arulmozhi Varman was 22.
    Maduranthaka Utthama Chozhar was
    crowned in the year 970. He ruled for 15 years, from 970 to 985. Arulmozhi
    Varman was 23 years old, when Maduranthakar was crowned.
    Arulmozhi Varman ascended the
    throne as Rajaraja Chozhar in the year 985, after Maduranthakar died. Arulmozhi
    was 38 years old. He ruled for 29 years, from the year 985 to 1014. When he
    died in the year 1014, he was 67 years old.

In the year 2011.....
    It's 1042 years since Aditha
    Karikalan was assassinated in 969, 1064 years since Arulmozhi Varman was born
    in 947, and 1026 years since Arulmozhi Varman ascended the Chozha throne as
    Rajaraja Chozhar in 985.

Please correct me if I have been wrong in any of these above mentioned points (and also any miscalculations). It is true that people have confused his birthday with the day he was crowned king. On 5th November, 2011, RRC turned 1064 years old (Aippasi, Sadaya nakshatram). But, he still lives on in history and in all our hearts.
  • yes, sir! very true! according to the reknowned archaeologist, Sri. N. Sethuraman, RRC was born in the year 947 AD. He was crowned in the year 985 AD, 15 yrs after Maduranthaka Utthama Chozhar was crowned. A lot of people say that AK was 28 yrs of age when he was assassinated in 969. It is also said that Kundavai was two yrs younger to AK and Arulmozhi was 4 yrs younger to Kundavai. Based on all these points I have arrived at this :

Aditha Karikalan was born in the
    year 941. Kundavai was born in the year 943. Arulmozhi Varman was born in the
    year 947. When Arulmozhi was born, Kundavai was 4 years old and Aditha Karikalan was 6 years old.
    Aditha Karikalan was assassinated
    in the year 969. He was 28 years old. At that time, Kundavai was 26 years old.
    Arulmozhi Varman was 22.
    Maduranthaka Utthama Chozhar was
    crowned in the year 970. He ruled for 15 years, from 970 to 985. Arulmozhi
    Varman was 23 years old, when Maduranthakar was crowned.
    Arulmozhi Varman ascended the
    throne as Rajaraja Chozhar in the year 985, after Maduranthakar died. Arulmozhi
    was 38 years old. He ruled for 29 years, from the year 985 to 1014. When he
    died in the year 1014, he was 67 years old.

In the year 2011.....
    It's 1042 years since Aditha
    Karikalan was assassinated in 969, 1064 years since Arulmozhi Varman was born
    in 947, and 1026 years since Arulmozhi Varman ascended the Chozha throne as
    Rajaraja Chozhar in 985.

Please correct me if I have been wrong in any of these above mentioned points (and also any miscalculations). It is true that people have confused his birthday with the day he was crowned king. On 5th November, 2011, RRC turned 1064 years old (Aippasi, Sadaya nakshatram). But, he still lives on in history and in all our hearts.
  • yes, sir! very true! according to the reknowned archaeologist, Sri. N. Sethuraman, RRC was born in the year 947 AD.!!

WOW.. THAT IS GREAT INFORMATION.

CAN WE SOME REFERENCE LEADING TO THESE.

RGDS/ SPS
  • Hi,

Wat abt the birth year of Maduranthaka Utthama Chozhar ???

Rakesh
  • Medieval Cholas
    Vijayalaya Chola 848–871(?)
    Aditya I 871–907
    Parantaka Chola I 907–950
    Gandaraditya 950–957
    Arinjaya Chola 956–957
    Sundara Chola 957–970
    Uttama Chola 970–985
    Rajaraja Chola I 985–1014
    Rajendra Chola I 1012–1044
    Rajadhiraja Chola 1018–1054
    Rajendra Chola II 1051–1063
    Virarajendra Chola 1063–1070
    Athirajendra Chola 1067–1070

lan

should have been much older than RRC and his birth year should be 937 - which was
    why a conspiracy was hatched by the pazhuvettarayars and his group as per PS,
    on First Come First Served basis !

veegopalji
  • That was why Pazhuvettarayars used Nandhini. Nandhini used this opportunity
    to avenge the death of her lover Veerapandiyan and the hidden agenda

of the Pazhuvettarayars motive to kill AK to prevent him from ascending
    the throne ! Waav, Amarar Kalki must be correct in analysing the conspiracy
    though he had not elaborated it in PS !

veegopalji
  • sorry, sir. I do not know when Madurnthaka Utthama Chozhar was born.

Mahati
  • But, the Pazhuvettarayars did not want AK dead in the first place. They only wanted to deny him of his right to the throne and crown Maduranthakan (as per PS). Amarar Kalki has not even hinted at any point in the story that the Pazhuvettarayars were (even secretly) planning to kill AK and used Nandini for that. It was Nandini's own wish that she wanted AK killed with the help of the Pandyan Abathudhavigal. In fact, Nandini lured Periya Pazhuvettarayar, as well as Parthibendra Pallavan and Kandan Maran into her "web of desire" as Kalki describes it, and used them to fulfill her needs.

Mahati
  • Hi,

If Uthama Cholan born in 937 A.D, then he would be 20 years old when Gandaraditya cholan died ...
    So, he could have easily suceeded his father as a king instead of giving throne to sundara cholan .....

Also, till 949 A.D, raja adithya was the crown prince ... only in takkolam battle in 949 A.D he was killed ...
    So, they decided to make Gandaraditya as the crown prince in 949 A.D ... When parantaka chola I died in 1950, uthama cholan was 13 yrs old ..
    They will surely assume that Gandaraditya would rule for another seven - ten years , by that time uthama chola would be 20 - 23 yrs old & it is old enuf

to take over the kingdom without any trouble .... So, y did parantak I asked sundara chola to succeed Gandaraditya ??

So, i dont feel uthama chola's birth year of 937 is a correct estimate ....

If he assume uthama chola birth year around 945 A.D, then we can tell that

uthama cholan would be only 12 -15 years & hence parantaka wish of sundara chola must succeeding
    Gandaraditya looks logical ... but, uthama chola died in 985 i.e 40 yrs of age ( if we assume his birht year as 945 A.D ) ...

A king dying of natural causes @ 40 years looks very much less probable ?

Rakesh
  • In an era of an average life expectancy of maybe 36 at most?

Quite possible, I think; even a king in those days couldn't really expect
    to live to the ages that we routinely do today...

Shash

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters