Kovalan and Devadas
  • Friends:

Today while discussing with a friend - it came out that the charectors of Silapadhikaram and Devadas have some simillarities.

Kovaln is potrayed Like Devadas - a weak minded person with a low self esteem - cuaght between two women.

Madhavi and Chandramuki have some simillarities both in charector and life style., will power and love for the loved one.

Of cource Kannagi is different from Paro - but yes very strong willed like Paro.

what are your views.

• Hi,
    No offence but except the single man and two females in center, nothing is common. Two major differences I see,

1. Kovlan was married and later got attracted to another woman. Why he did this is not very much known, or at least to the best of my information. Devdas loved a girl but she got married with someone else. He go attracted to Paro probably to find solace. A clear distinction between the two stories.
    2. Kovlan came back to his wife, due to various issues, I assume financial issue was one of them. And then he tried to continue with her rejecting the pleas from his mistress. There is no such instance seen in Devdas. Again a remarkable difference.

There are many such theme in Indian literature where we see two females and one male in center. Ramdhari Singh Dinkar's Urvashi is also the on same theme where Pururava though married got attracted to Urvashi and even did a secret marriage however later he had to return to his wife only. One thing I would like to say, if you are interested to read Sharat Chandra, in all my readings of various Hindi, Bangla etc literature, he is the best author who had portrayed the female characters in exemplary manner, no one can beat him when it comes to women portrayal in novels.
  • Hi

Actually i was comparing the personality traits of Kovalan and Devadas.

Especially he leaves Madhavi after the Kanal vari - where he suspects Madhavi. The guy was not too sure of himself.
  • Friends,

Please
    permit me to place my view points on this comparison of Kovalan and Devdas. Both
    literatures are unique, of their times, but comparison is impossible as felt by
    Saurab and Sankar.

ar 1. Marriage of KaNNaki and Kovalan was
    agreed and arranged between two rich families

De2.Devdas and the village girl wre sincere lovers.

3. KaNNaki and Madhavi are both earnest
    and honest women.

Ko4. Kovalan was a selfish debauchee and
    an average mah of weak character.
    5. D
    ev5. Devdas, his love and the devadasi-woman
    are good in charedter, but victims of the social curse evil mindset. Devdas was
    crazy but not dishobest.

VKR
  • Perhaps this is the end of all love stories !

veegopalji

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters