anyone knows the history of udayarpalayam jameen
  • friends,
    recently i met a family member of the udayarpalayam jameen. they are still living in the palace called " aranmanai". now there are about 5-6 families who are direct descendents of the jameendar living there.

the palace as per their account is about 600 meter to 400 meter structure.i confirmed this in wikimap also. actually if we include the gardens the campus is actually 1km to 0.5 km in length and breath.

such a massive palace is not noticed by anyone.

can someone throw light on this family's history.

gandhi
  • i just found a good link for this.

http://www.tn.gov.in/dtp/CCBP/Udayarpalayam.pdf

it is really wonderful to know that the palayam is existing since 1475. the vanniyars are known as kadavars and they speak telugu!

gandhi
  • It is a cursed place.

Some years back I visited that place. There is a case in High court. Don't know the present possition. There is book available with Archives library at Egmore.
  • The term Kaduvetti appears in Chola inscriptions also.

The word Petty Kingdom is not right. They were actually bigger state and were independent after the fall of Chandragiri. ( But nominally paying respects to Vijayanagar Kings who wereconfined to Vellore fort)

When Arcot War broke out - Kanchi Mutt first moved to Udayarpalayam. Bangaru Kamakshi was enshiriend there for some time. Later the mutt moved to Tanjore and finally to Kumbakonam.

During that time - I remember hearing from people - that all the 3 Rajas of TN - Ranga Raja, Thyaga Raja and Nata Raja were kept in Udayarpalayam.

Later, when Mahaswami took over as Peedadithipathi - He was 13, A convent student and not a studied Vedas - stayed for about 7 years in mahendramangalam falling in that jameen to complete his Vedic and other studies.
  • thanks a lot friends,
    1.the govt booklet says, the palayam was estabilished in 1475. the people of the zameen speak telugu!. but it also says them as vanniyars.

2. the person i met was a lady and she introduced herself as a descendent of the zameen of ariyalore. she was married of to the udayarpalayam zameen. she said these families were related to the pichavaram andiyappa cholagar zameen. the point is, were they the remnants of the legendary kopperunchingan dynasty?

3. did the jamin was in control of the gangaikonda cholapuram temple, before the removal of the fort walls to the lower anaicut dam?

4. did they have control over the chidambaram temple too before the french invaded it 1700-1760?

5. the jamin palace is definitely huge and could have ruled a vast land perhaps large parts north of kollidam rivaer.( of course with regular payments to the nayaks and nawabs)
    6. can this family members have any idea about the final days of cholan empire???

gandhi
  • Hi Gandhi Sir,

Interesting facts.

Our own U.Ve.Sa (Thamizh thatha) has written a book on them. I shall provide the name and the link soon.

But are sure about the 'telugu' part??? My family is related to the Udayar Jameens themselves, but I have never come across that information. Let me investigate within the family.
  • I am not sure about the Kaduvetti- Kadavar surnames or their connection with the Kadavarayars (though kadavarayars were vanniyars too). They are just known by Udayars (preceded by a sentence in praise of their family if you look at the proper title).

The ariyalur Zamindars were called 'Mazhavarayars'.

You should reach out to the Pichavaram Chozhaganar zamin family if you are interested about the final days of chola empire ( I am actually trying to establish this through my connections but I havent put in a concrete effort still).

Chozhaganar family is said to have had control over the chidambaram temple during historical days. Till the late 19th century, they had their crowning ceremony done there, like all royal families of yore they have fallen into poverty. Please refer to my earlier post on the same topic for more details.
  • thanks a lot friends,
    there is an information booklet.... the link is below please see it is in pdf form. there is a chapter on the history of the jameen.

http://www.tn.gov.in/dtp/CCBP/Udayarpalayam.pdf

the fact is no one is sure whether they speak telugu but the booklet given here mentions so. one thing is sure that these jameen has been in control of the chidambaram temple and the GKC temple too for a lot of time( may be from 1400 to 1800).

the pichavaram jamin palace is now completely gone. i have seen the place 6 months ago. not even a wall stands there. but the descendents still live nearby in small huts.

gandhi
  • friends,
    generally the ariyalur district people recall an old prosperity and glory. but that is not obvious today. the district in general must have been very powerful region but over the past 100 years it has been eclipsed by some poverty and downtrodden state.
    gandhi
  • This was the book I was talking about:
    http://www.tamilheritage.org/old/text/ebook/THFUdayarpalayam.pdf

I should credit our member Senthil Ramachandran for discovering this amazing website.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ponniyinselvan/message/45658

BTW, did you get a chance to talk to those Chozanar descendants???
  • thank you,

i will go through the links. i have requested the lady to be in touch. hope i will meet her again. i have met a person who was brought up in the zameen palace for long time. but he is tight lipped. i have met a person whose father was a employee in the jameen from 1950-1980. he has told me about the glorious days of the jameen.

recently a friend gave a me souvaneir of the chidambaram temple kumbabishekam(1985). there was an article calling the founder of the temple HIRANYAVARMAN could well be IYAVAR KADAVARKON of the periyapuranam. if that is so, pallavar and vanniyar "proximity theories" could well be true.

gandhi

the remnants of pallavas may well be residing in the zameen palace in udayarpalayam!
  • dear friend,
    excellent book. that too by u.v.saminathaiyer. I WILL GO THROUGH IT SLOWLY

iam planning to go to udayaraplayam oneday shortly.

there is really something intriguing in this zameen history.
    1.they have been in power from 1475
    2. they were paying taxes to vijaynagar kingdom and subsequently all the ruling centres in thondai mandalam.
    3. they were in control of the entire region between kollidam river and vellar river.
    4. they were in power till 1950s.
    5. many important events have taken place in this zameen that were of great importance in the state history itself.
    6. they may be pallava remnants
    7. there may be some links we are missing in between that may well solve lot of gaps in history of northern tamilnadu

we have follow the story regularly.

GANDHI
  • Some three or four years back when I was digging the history of Kachi, I came across this Udayar Palayam. The Eldest son visited my house took lunch! I introduced with one of my friends who offered some suggestions. You know these people were hidden a huge treasure that was taken with Kanchi Kamatchi, Ekambhara nathar and varadha Rajar. The Gods gave the jewels and gold to these people and from there it went to Tanjore!

There is a platform in the palace, under which the treasure might have hidden!
    There was a boat made with single palm tree on which Paramacharya of Kachi was boating in 1950.

There are Burial grounds there with lots of Kattu chedis.

But if you visit that place you will find some one is pressing your heart!
    Thats what happened to me!
  • Dear Mr.Gandhi,

I am very much intrest to know abt our acinent history, i am from tirunelvelli near to adhichanaallur(archiology site ), Please ifi join your tour i am very happy, now i am in delhi.
  • Sir, they had so many villages in cauvery delta also,i.e, in tanjore dt also,like Vilandakandam, Kuruchi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • are there any historical links between sendamangalam fort near panruti and the udayar palayam jameen?

the koperunchingan dynasty ended with pandya invasion.

after this the sendamangalam fort was abandoned?

those people had continued to be with the subsequent vijayanagar empire?

it was the vijaynagar style to estabilish palayams for tax collections.

therefore can we assume the kadavas of sendamangalam continued as udayarpalayam dynasty? because these two places are only 65km apart.

both places have dominant vanniar populations.

gandhi
  • Dear Mr. Gandhi,
    I have been reading your queries and posts of Udayarpalayam Zamin with interest.
    I can post whatever I know of them.

Lineage
    1. Palli Konda Rangappa Udayar
    2. Peria Nallappa Kalatkal Thozha Udayar
    3. Chinna Nallappa Kalatkal Thozha Udayar
    4. Muniappa Udayar
    5. Poyyappa Udayar
    6. Ramappa Udayar
    7. Venkatappa Udayar
    8. Muthu Krishnappa Udayar
    9. Chandrasekara Udayar
    10. Nalla Nainagha Udayar
    11. Kalyana Rangappa Udayar
    12. Nallappa Udayar
    13. Uthama Rangappa Udayar
    14. Rangappa Udayar
    15. Yuva Rangappa Udayar
    16. Nallappa Udayar
    17. Muthu Vijaya Rangappa Udayar
    18. Abinava Yuva Rangappa Udayar
    19. Kachi Rangappa Kalatkal Thozhar Udayar
    20. Muthu Vijaya Rangappa Udayar
    21. Rangappa Udayar
    22. Kalayana Rangappa Udayar
    23. Sri Yuvaranga Udayar
    24. Sri Kachi Chinna Nallappa Kalatkal Thozhar Udayar
    For each of these kings, there is information available on what has happened
    during their period. I will have to post on some other day the details.
    I will only touch upon little now from where the information is available in the
    forum. In a war with Bidar king, Rangappa Udayar fought under the leadership
    of Ramabhatra Naicker on behalf of Vira Narasimmaraya (1505-09). Appreciating
    the valour of Rangappa Udayar who not only killed the Shah but also captured all
    royal insignia of the opposing king, Raya awarded Udayar the title “ Barid
    Sapthanga Harana” (One who cut seven parts of Barith) and 4 other titles. One of
    the title is Kalakka Thozhar (meaning one who has plenty of Kalat padai).
    Raya also awarded land named Zillakavanam with boundaries encompassing east of
    vedharanyam, west of Veeranam Lake, south of Vellore and beginning of Kollidam
    river. This is approximately 35 miles by 35 miles.
    On the compulsion to rule this, Udayar left Kanchi after handing over rains to
    one Varadharaja Udayar. The zamin was initially operating from a place near
    brought under his control the palayams of Thittakudi, Bhuvanagiri,
    Vriddhachalam, Kattumannarkudi (Veeranarayanapuram of Ponniyin Selvan) and
    Chidambaram.
    The present Zamin was built in the period of Chinna Nallappa Kalatkal Thozha
    Udayar, who is the second son of Palli konda rangappa udayar. He was forced to
    take the rain after his brother (the 2nd king in the line Peria Nallappa
    Kalatkal Thozha Udayar was killed in the streets of Bhuvanagiri by one of the
    opposing palayam lord). Who was the palayathar? That is for some other time.
    As I know, Udayars belong to the Vanniya community. The theory of Telugu
    speaking could be due to the compulsion of courting to Vijayanagara where
    official transaction could have happened in Telugu. Having known the land mass
    little better, vanniyars speak only Tamil here. Just a thought here. I have read
    somewhere Udayars once served Cholas in their army operating from Kanchi and
    also moved to Mysore (Any connections to the Woodayars there?).

I am not sure the Udayar Zamins will have any idea to what happened to the
    Cholas after their disappearance at the end of 13th Century from Ganagai chola
    puram as these udayars occupy the place only from the beginning of 16th century
    (early 1500s).
    The Zamin as you have suspected here was in control Gangai konda cholapuram as
    well as Chidambaram till 1817 before british ordered that their control will be
    restricted to just 65 villages and they have to pay a tax of 175 natchathra
    pagoda vari every year  . They were allowed to have all other
    facilities as usual. This happened during the period of Kachi Raangappa Kalatkal
    Thozhar Udayar. It was the time when British took control of Arcot
    Nawab.Udayarpalayam Zamin was brought under the control Trichirappalli
    collectorate.
    Nallappa Udayar is the one who was involved in the British- French wars. In the
    year 1748, Udayars sided with British during the Pondicherry war.However, the
    French took control of these Udayars again in 1749 with the help of Muzafar Jang
    and Santha Sahib as a result of which Udayarpalayam agreed to pay the KAPPAM.
    The palayam was again attacked by French in the year 1755 where with the help of
    British, Udayarpalayam recovered. However again in the year 1757, French under
    the leadership of De Andaville (I may be wrong with the spelling here) attacked
    the palayam. Though again with the help of British, this attack was repelled, in
    order to have a pieceful rain without anymore war, the palayam agreed to 40,000
    rupees as Kappam to the French.

Udayarpalayam zamin had marriage relations. Udayarpalayam Sri Andiyappa Soorappa
    Cholanar married a girl from Udayarplayam zamin and so too his son Sri Chidmbara
    Natha Soorappa Cholanar.
    As far as your query on Kopperunchingan on the kadavaraya lineage, they have
    initially called themselves Palli (old name of Vanniyars) and later shifted the
    reference to the offshoot of Pallavas in their inscriptions. They claim
    themselves to be the descendants of Hiranyavarman
    More details later.
  • Dear Mr. Gandhi,
    I have been reading your queries and posts of Udayarpalayam Zamin with interest. I can post whatever I know of them.

Lineage
    1. Palli Konda Rangappa Udayar
    2. Peria Nallappa Kalatkal Thozha Udayar
    3. Chinna Nallappa Kalatkal Thozha Udayar
    4. Muniappa Udayar
    5. Poyyappa Udayar
    6. Ramappa Udayar
    7. Venkatappa Udayar
    8. Muthu Krishnappa Udayar
    9. Chandrasekara Udayar
    10. Nalla Nainagha Udayar
    11. Kalyana Rangappa Udayar
    12. Nallappa Udayar
    13. Uthama Rangappa Udayar
    14. Rangappa Udayar
    15. Yuva Rangappa Udayar
    16. Nallappa Udayar
    17. Muthu Vijaya Rangappa Udayar
    18. Abinava Yuva Rangappa Udayar
    19. Kachi Rangappa Kalatkal Thozhar Udayar
    20. Muthu Vijaya Rangappa Udayar
    21. Rangappa Udayar
    22. Kalayana Rangappa Udayar
    23. Sri Yuvaranga Udayar
    24. Sri Kachi Chinna Nallappa Kalatkal Thozhar Udayar
    For each of these kings, there is information available on what has happened during their period. I will have to post on some other day the details.
    I will only touch upon little now from where the information is available in the forum. In a war with Bidar king, Rangappa Udayar fought under the leadership of Ramabhatra Naicker on behalf of Vira Narasimmaraya (1505-09). Appreciating the valour of Rangappa Udayar who not only killed the Shah but also captured all royal insignia of the opposing king, Raya awarded Udayar the title " Barid Sapthanga Harana" (One who cut seven parts of Barith) and 4 other titles. One of the title is Kalakka Thozhar (meaning one who has plenty of Kalat padai).
    Raya also awarded land named Zillakavanam with boundaries encompassing east of vedharanyam, west of Veeranam Lake, south of Vellore and beginning of Kollidam river. This is approximately 35 miles by 35 miles.
    On the compulsion to rule this, Udayar left Kanchi after handing over rains to one Varadharaja Udayar. The zamin was initially operating from a place and brought under his control the palayams of Thittakudi, Bhuvanagiri, Vriddhachalam, Kattumannarkudi (Veeranarayanapuram of Ponniyin Selvan) and Chidambaram.
    The present Zamin was built in the period of Chinna Nallappa Kalatkal Thozha Udayar, who is the second son of Palli konda rangappa udayar. He was forced to take the rain after his brother (the 2nd king in the line Peria Nallappa Kalatkal Thozha Udayar was killed in the streets of Bhuvanagiri by one of the opposing palayam lord). Who was the palayathar? That is for some other time.
    As for as I am aware, Udayars belong currently to the Vanniya community. The theory of Telugu speaking could be due to the compulsion of courting to Vijayanagara where official transaction could have happened in Telugu. Having known the land mass little better, vanniyars speak only Tamil here. Just a thought here. I have read somewhere Udayars once served Cholas in their army operating from Kanchi and also moved to Mysore (Any connections to the Woodayars there?).
    I am not sure the Udayar Zamins will have any idea to what happened to the Cholas after their disappearance at the end of 13th Century from Ganagai chola puram as these udayars occupy the place only from the beginning of 16th century (early 1500s).
    The Zamin as you have suspected here was in control Gangai konda cholapuram as well as Chidambaram till 1817 before british ordered that their control will be restricted to just 65 villages and they have to pay a tax of 175 natchathra pagoda vari every year . They were allowed to have all other facilities as usual. This happened during the period of Kachi Raangappa Kalatkal Thozhar Udayar. It was the time when British took control of Arcot Nawab.Udayarpalayam Zamin was brought under the control Trichirappalli collectorate.
    Nallappa Udayar is the one who was involved in the British- French wars. In the year 1748, Udayars sided with British during the Pondicherry war.However, the French took control of these Udayars again in 1749 with the help of Muzafar Jang and Santha Sahib as a result of which Udayarpalayam agreed to pay the KAPPAM. The palayam was again attacked by French in the year 1755 where with the help of British, Udayarpalayam recovered. However again in the year 1757, French under the leadership of De Andaville (I may be wrong with the spelling here) attacked the palayam. Though again with the help of British, this attack was repelled, in order to have a pieceful rain without anymore war, the palayam agreed to 40,000 rupees as Kappam to the French.
    Udayarpalayam zamin had marriage relations. Udayarpalayam Sri Andiyappa Soorappa Cholanar married a girl from Udayarplayam zamin and so too his son Sri Chidmbara Natha Soorappa Cholanar.
    As far as your query on Kopperunchingan on the kadavaraya lineage, they have initially called themselves Palli (old name of Vanniyars) and later shifted the reference to the offshoot of Pallavas in their inscriptions. They claim themselves to be the descendants of Hiranyavarman
    More details later.
  • Zameen ia URDU WORD time SHOULD BE PLACED

R Narasinhan
  • Thanks Vijay pavendan sir . Please keep writing such informative posts
  • thank you,
    so informative. i shall follow up the details with the local people. presently the person in charge of the zameen is spending the old antiques like photographs, wooden articles, jewels ...etc and making a livelihood. the zameen is in its evenings. but research especially their connections with pallavas and cholas may be fruitful
    gandhi
  • friends,
    today i had some first person informations on the zameen family history. they speak only tamil and no telugu is ever spoken there in any recent past. the family follows number of royal practices even now though they have less income.

recently one tamil movie"sathrapathi" was shot there.

the present zameen head is KCP KUZHANDHI RAJA. he is 79 years old. he has about 9 children and many of them still live in the palace complex with their family.

they agree that they have common ancestory with pichavaram and ariyalur zameens. but beyond these they have no knowledge.but they say they have been in control of the whole of areas between kollidam river and the vellar river.

thitakudi,vriddhachalam, katumannar kovil, chidambaram, sendurai, kunnam and jayamkondam taluks where in their control. the zameen was abolished in 1952.

gandhi

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters