Chera King who converted to Islam
  • Dear,
    I need your help. Can any body tell,  the name of the Chera King who was converted to Islam
  • There is no such Chera Hindu King converted to Islam,
    though long time it was discussed in our Group that
    one King - relative of Cheraman was converted to Islam.

Some pictures were also shown in Sun TV / Jaya TV
    - 2 - 3 yrs back !!

About a couple of years back, I quoted that the
    information was as disputed with evidence in the
    Travancore Archaelogical Series !!

anbudan /
    sps
  • ஐயா,

மாலிக் க்ஃபூர் பிறப்பில் ஹிந்து என்பது வரலாறு.

முனை.லக்குமணன் இதனைத் தவறாகப் புரிந்துகொண்டாரோ !!!

வி.கோ.ரா

ராகப் புரிந்துக
  • அய்யா,

தாங்கள் சொல்வது விளங்கவில்லை. நான் கேட்டது இஸ்லாத்துக்கு மாறிய சேர மன்னர். மாலிக்காபூர் மன்னர் அல்லவே?

அதுமட்டுமல்ல, நான் தேடியதற்கு எஸ்பிஎஸ் மிக அருமையான விடையை எடுத்துக் கொடுத்து விட்டார். அதுவும் கண்ணதாசனின் சேரமான் காதலியில் இருந்து.

என்றாலும் எனது கேள்விக்கு விடை சொல்ல தாங்கள் எடுத்த முய்ற்சிக்கு எனது நன்றி.

எஸ்.பி.எஸ் அவர்களுக்கு நான் எப்படி நன்றி சொல்வது என்றே தெரியவில்லை. மிகவும் அருமையாக பழைய செய்திகளில் இருந்தே விடையை கொடுத்துள்ளார்.

உங்களுக்கும் எஸ்பிஎஸ் அவர்களுக்கும்பல சௌபாக்கியத்தையும் எல்லா வல்ல ஈசன் தரட்டும்.

தங்கள் அன்புள்ள
    மலர் சோலை மங்கை டாக்டர் எல். கைலாசம்
  • Sir,
    His name is Cheraman Perumal before he embrassed Islam. If its possible please read Kannadhasan's Cheraman Kadhali. Also go to Google and search for Cheraman Perumal. You will find the truth and read the interviewof the living prince.

Haneefa Abdul Majeed
    Kuwait.
    Phone: Cell: 00965-6661-2049

" And Do Not Walkon the Earth with Arrogance"
  • Dear Sir,
    Right in the big temple there is the paintingof Cheraman perumal along with Sundarar.So the question of Cheraman Perumal conversion to Islam does not arise.Or the Mentioned cheraman perumal is different from the Cheraman perumalnayanar. Definitely he is not the Nayanmar.His statue is found in every Siva Temple where there is statues for 63 nayanmars.But even considering that his conversion to Islam taken, it is really a great fact that Shiva temples still keep his statue where as who is there to praise the great SufiSarmad who lost his head because of his praising of Sri Rama as almighty.
    Regards,S.KarthikVandemataram
  • Sir,

I have no idea that he was one of the nayanmar or not but theChera King who converted to Islam is the true story and he met with messenger of Almighty in Saudi and did the Haj. Later he dead and burried in Salalah, one of the Costal city in Stato of Oman I beleive.

Thank you,

Haneefa Abdul Majeed
    SARSS Operator Associate,
    Stock Control, GSD, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait.
    Phone: 00965-2389-7073, Cell: 00965-6661-2049

" And Do Not Walkon the Earth with Arrogance"
  • sir, there were several cheramans. especially after the advent of imperial cholas. after prophet's(sal) demise the trade with arab increased in west coast. there may have been several instances a local ruler to convert to islam. the cheramans of kerala were not very powerful kings and most of them ruled small cantons supported by nair chieftains.
    after the advent of vasco da gama, the european influence changed the physical, religious and cultural aspect of kerala. hence the present day kerala and the one 1300 years ago are completely changed.

modern kerala has communism,christianity,islam,vedic hinduism and the indigenous old tamil influences. this is not the case in tamilnadu where the culture is by and large a continuing "sangam like society" even after 2500 years after its beginning.

islam,christianity and modern secular politics ..etc have not changed tamils much. average tamilian is still influenced by thiruvalluvar or thirumoolar.

gandhi
  • Date: 12-5-2011

Anbumikka Dr L.Kailasam

There are some evidences that a Chera King of the period between A.D.600-700 was converted to Islam. But his exact name is "not known". But the Malayalam work of the period "seventeenth" century (being of much later period) known as "Keralopathi" is the first Document which gives the name as "Cheraman Perumal". This is totally a wrong reference of the king's name. In the first place informations in this work has been rejected by leading Kerala Historins including Prof Sunganny Menon - as arising from much confusions. The Cheramaan (meaning a Chera king)could be a possibilty, but his name cannot be 'Cheraman Perumal'. This fact is further confirmed by the very fact the Mosque at Kodungallur is only known as 'Cheramaan Jumma Mosque' and not as 'Cheraman Perumaal Jumma Mosque' - even today.

Go to the Site with the following URL, and read section (19) titled the Chera king who was converted to Islam.

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?7811-The-great-Significance-of-Kodungallur-of-Kerala-Part-3&daysprune=-1
  • Vira Rajendran Sir,After Long time you are posting. Remember - once you asked us to check about the reported image of Rajendra in Kolaramma temple, Kolar.2 weeks back myself and saurabh went there and took photographs of all male images there. Many seems to be Nayak but neverthless i will post all ( May be sunday)Many of the images shown in wiki as Kolaramma temple are not found there.
  • Date: 14-5-2011

Anbumikka Sankaranarayanan,

I would have seen this information mentioned some where, and would have mentioned the source and about it in this Website. Anyhow I will try to retrace the source, and thanks for your interest for posting same in this Website

But for sure I remember mentioning there was another source which mentioned that Rajendra Chola - 1's statue was found in the sculptures atthe "Kaalahasti temple" (now in Andhra Pradsh)
  • sir - that info on kolaramma temple was in archeology site

link below.

http://archaeologyindia.com/rajendra.asp

"A statue of Rajendra-I is found in Kolaram temple at Kolar of Karnataka state in India."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters