Ramayanam Series Completes One Year
  •  
    Dear All

Ramayanam series completes one year.

Initially I started this as a small 10 week series but with encouragement from all of you we have  explored more.

We saw many pre12th Literary sources, Epigraphs, Copper plates, other stone images and Miniatures.

I have  compiled from the works of many scholars and their vast research on this subject. from my side I have just recorded all the miniatures , added interesting epigraphs /copper plates and extended the study to Valisvarams , Kumbhakarneswaram and will follow it up with more Rameswarams.

I had the opportunity of getting Guidance from Dr RN Sir, Dr Sathyamoorthi Sir, Dr Rajavelu Sir, Dr Karuppasamy Sir of ASI and Dr S Ramachandran Sir.

I also thank SPS Sir, Satish Arun, Vijay, Aravind, Saurabh who all helped me in structuring some of the works and also the encouragement from all of you members.

Last whole year was really a different experience and I realized that a compilation itself is  a tough job and salute those who did the originals.

Ramayanam was( is) very well part of Tamil Culture from the first recorded period.

I once gain thank you all for the support and there are many more panels, temples to come and we will continue for some more time.

• Hi Sankar sir,
    Good to know that you have completed one year now. I have not read all of
    your posts however few of them which you posted since I joined this group. As
    discussed with you earlier, we need to put this vast information in a good
    structured form, which is a tougher job as it requires lots of time and effort.
    However without this structured information, I will feel that the job is half
    done. If you need any help from me, I am at your disposal.
  • Congratulations Sankar sir.. Stupendous effort sir..
  • I agree saurabh

We need to complete all the places first and then put them in a structured format.

For eg - Madurantagam. There were debates on who built that temple? Whether it was Aditya's son Parantaga or Vikrama Chola?

For that - A fragmentary Rajendra inscription in the temple proved that the temple is pre Vikrama.

Then, now the Tirukkovalur Panel proves that the Moola Moorti format existed in Parantaga 1 period itself. Now we can say more things about Madurantagam clearly.

As per my notes

1. need to visit 6 more temples ( Pre Kulothunga) and cover miniature Panels.

2. 2 Rameswarams to be covered

3. Tirubhuvanam panels ( though post Kamban ) need to be studied.

4. I am excluding bronzes from this study except for Paruthiyur

5. There is a tit bit news on Srinivasanallur and need to be closed.

6. I need to visit some more temples around Villupuran before closing.

7. Need to read Perundevanar Bharatham to check for details if any.

8. Have not read the epigraphs of old Tanjore dt fully

Once I complete them all, then we will have almost all data.

Then we can structure them in formats - Like Vali, Vali humbling Ravana, Vali in thevaram, Valiswaram .....

Now i have a request from members - Please keep sending us details of Ramayana legends in TN . Is there any news from Kerala? Any Mural? Any Coin? all pre dating 12th C.
  • HEARTY CONGRATS !!

and of course coincides with Sree Ramanvami too !!

very best wishes and rgds / sps

==========
  • I second Saurabh and in my humble opinion, please don't wait till you
    complete everything. Please work with volunteers in our group to start the
    task in parallel. We should definitely publish the series @
    ponniyinselvan.in one by one and go back and edit to add more details (like
    wiki). Structuring everything might be a monumental task, working through
    one by one might be easier. This is just my opinion.
  • Sure. We can start on this.

I will send a detailed mail separately
  • Great work Sankar sir. Remarkable. Cant belive its one year since you
    started this. Time literally flies.
    And as SPS mentioned, it coincides with Rama Navami today. what a blessing?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters