Numismatics
  • dear friends

recently i got introduced to an avid coin collector and numismatics expert.
    he sent me 21 booklets on tamil coins. I remember earlier there was a thread
    wherein we were searching for the banners of prominent chieftains. A quick
    glance through the book, gives some good leads. ( the dating of the coins
    are as given in the book)

Early chera coins:

We often associate the chera emblem with just the bow and arrow - but early
    chera coins ( 2nd C BCE) - have the bow, arrow and also angusam ( the weapon
    used to control elephants)

Early coins of Malaiyamans:

The coins mostly have a flowing river depiction - and sometimes a river
    flowing from two hills - dated to 1st C CE.

Sambuvaraiyar

This was interesting . late 14th C CE. the coin has a crescent under which
    there are two pots.

http://www.poetryinstone.in
    “*Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man*” – Nobel
    laureate, Rabindranath Tagore
  • Interesting..Thanks for sharing VIjay..
  • Dear Vj

any coins with the image of Rama?
  • Dear Friends,

Sambuvarayar clan - crescent with pot under depicts, agni[fire] in a mud pots - the symbol which belongs to Vannia kula shatrya community in Tamilnadu - interestingly Vaannar Kula Vandia thevan who was bossom friend of Arul molhi varaman belongs to this clan and hails from Vallam,

wwr
    Mathi
  • hi

Sambuvarayar different from Vanavarayar. There is a wonderful book on
    Vanavarayar varalaru tracing their origins in a unique manner from naduk kal
    references
  • Hi ,

Sambuvarayar clan is of Agni kula shatriyas - pl ref to Paddai Veedu [ Padavedu
    near Arani /vellore] and Thirukoyiloor history and records ; Vanavarayar is a
    title conferred and later it became to represent a caste ,

wwr
    Mathi
  • I believe Thirukoyiloor was under Malaiyamaan, not under sambuvaraiyar or
    vanavaraiyar correct?
  • The erumbur - ( yogic siva) which we discussed last week has some details on sambuvarayars
  • Hi,
    Sambuvarayar clan were chieftains under Aathi-cholas, Pallavas , Cholas etc -
    Their domain was spread from Aarani to Thriuvannamalai

Mathi
  • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/photo.php?fbid=448017924215&set=a.391415534215.172892.858884215

Hi

Try visit the link, this coinissued by Sambuvaraiyar
    IT MAY ISSUED by 3rd Erasanarayan AD1356-1379
    Coin Obv: there Royal Symbole BULL AND ABOVE SUN AND MOON
    REV: Naryana in tamil in the center a Dagger
  • Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures of old coins. VJ’s interview with Raman was a delight to read.

I wonder if someone (VJ, Raman or anyone else) who might shed some insight on the non-symmetrical shape of the coins. Is it due to wear or is it due to something else. When beautiful bronze statues have been cast, I would suspect the coins would have nice 2.5D statues which would be of nice quality that would show deep wear. Even with wear they would remain symmetrical.

Second question is about Sangam coins which were not circular, but were almost squarish. I wonder if there is a particular reason for the squarish geometry. All ancient coins I have seen from other cultures have been mostly circular. In a similar vein, our temples have a squarish or rectangular lay out - there are a few exceptions with a circular sannathi such as the one at Thirukazhikundram – the hill temple. Egyptian temples also had a similar rectangular geometry. Romans seem to have invented the dome shape for temples, the Pantheon (in Rome) was built around 150 AD for the various Roman gods. That art was lost, and was reinvented with the Cathedral in Florence during renaissance.

I would appreciate hearing about your insight.

Thanks, Raj Mutharasan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters