Kamba and his period
  • Hi Friends,
    I am not an expert in this topic however I have heard a lot about Mr Sankar's
    topic of 'Ramayana before Kamban', Hence I thought that an article I read on a
    blog might be interesting. I usually follow this blog as he writes on some
    interesting topics. In this article, he has tried to assign period of Kamba,
    which as per him is 12-13th century. Is this accepted period or there are other
    theories as well?

http://controversialhistory.blogspot.com/2010/08/date-of-kambar-and-kambaramayanam.html
  • I have read only one article of the blog long back. That is about kanchi Mutt.

Even with my limited knowledge, i can conclusively say that this person had not done any research or for that matter would not have read any articles/epigraphs/inscriptions.

All important deities, mutts moved out of Kanchi during Anglo french war. . There is an epigraph on Varadharaja leaving Kanchi and returning after the end of .

The Kamatchi utsava idol was moved to tanjore and now there is a separate temple for the " bangaru kamatchi" in tanjore built during that time.

A person can have an alternate view but that view should present with clear proof.

Hence i did not feel reading any of his articles.

With regard to the period of Kamban - There are 2 views. One to 12th. Based on certain proof.

Ragava Iyengar - work - On confirming 12th. But is in Tamil.

http://www.infitt.org/pmadurai/pm_etexts/pdf/pm0202.pdf

The other is 9th. That methodology is based on a different approcah. The recent post by our vairam explains that approach. Those researchers view is also equally importatnt.

I am collecting every thing related to Rama/Ramayana till end of 11th.

Then compile them as - till 8th and 9th to 11th.

My Sundays visit may yield something intresting on scluptures. I have 2 literary works belonging to 9th.

I will post them one by one.

Who know - we may hit a jackpot. Like Kanthalur Chalai.
  • " Kambar mentions Chalukya Chola king Kulothunga III(1178–1218AD) in his work ,so Kambar should be of his or later period.

Ramanuja was also lived during this period. Kulothunga III 13th century AD was the Contemprory and patron of Famous poets like Ottakuttar , pukalendhi,n Nammazhvar and Avavaiyar. Cheraman Perumal is also of the same period.Avvaiyar Her two other works, Mooturai and Nalvali, were written for slightly older children... "

We are viewing Kambar after Kulothunga III only.

But interesting that you have gone into this depth.

thanks and regards / sps

=============
  • After seing the Hanuman Meets Ravana scluptures in 2 temples - That version not in Both Valmiki and Kamban - now it is emerging that strong oral ( or another Ramayana work)
    existed in TN during Aditya/Parantaka period.

That is more intresting.
  • Hi sir

How about ravana humbled by vaali episode ?

Vj
  • Yes- Sambandar mentions that

Even the Ravana lifting Kailsh is a utara kandam episode. it is referd from kalithogai
  • Dear friends

I happened to go through all the Thirumangai verses and I found his references to Ramayan and Mahabharat astounding!

R Narasimhan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters