Ramayanam before kamban 43- Kothanda Visual Ramayanam [2 Attachments]
  • fantastic. have been wanting these for some years now. will mail you
  • We planned this week end and booked train tickets without knwing that there is a big political function at Kumbakonam on 3rd.
    SPS sir helped us and without him we could not have complete this
  • Dear Sir,
    Fantastic.
    I observe that during the Pallava period the sculptures in the devakoshtams were free compositions, you could see these in Kailasanatha and Vaikunda perumal. Then the images on the devakoshtams follow rigid cannons. The free form of dynamic expressions could only be done on the miniature panels on the adhistanam.
    The initial chola temples almost had no niches on devakoshtams. Temples during Aditya I started having niches, they where better spaced (White space between panels) than the Pallava devakoshtams. The sculptures here started following a set pattern even dynamic scenes like gangadhara where more are less dictated by cannons. A comparison of Lingothbhava of Kailasanatha with other Lingothbhava will help in understanding this. The cannons also forced the placement of images at certain positions and direction (though this was there even in earlier times, newer ones replaced).

By the way, I had observed 2 miniature sculpture in Vaikunda Perumal Koil, Kanchipuram. Have anyone seen miniature sculpture in temples in Tamil country prior to the age of Vaikunda Perumal. Curious to know the origins of the miniature panels in Tamil Nadu.
  • wonderful.

thanks for sharing dear SN.

sps

=====
  • Nicely described Sir. The link is not opening

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters