EMDEN BOMBING DURING 1914 !
  • I have with me one of the dead bombs (?) held as a display item thrown out in
    the backyard of our house at

4th Street Gopalapuram, Chennai when we were children in the 60s as narrated to
    me by late great grand father !

He told me that it was from the Emden Submarine during the I World War during
    1914 when Emden was

stationed/sailing on the seas facing Edward Elliots Beach (opp: present DGP
    Office) in Bay of Bengal from
    right across the present Mahatma Gandhi statue !

The funny part of this bomb is, I have seen during my later childhood days that
    my great grandmother was
    using it like a "hammer" to break the jaggery balls for preparing sweets during
    festivals ! He also tome me

that two or more dead bombs (?) were also found in the backyard after some days
    and the bombing was heard
    all over in that part of Chennai for some days ! Unfortunately he is not alive
    to relive the story!

veegopalji
  • Dear Veegopalji

Are you willing to donate the piece to the Fort St George Museum, where there are two more pieces thrown by Emden? It will be displayed with due credit to you.

Sriraman,
    Fort Museum
  • Hello Sir,

I used to live in 8th street gopalapuram since my school days till I left to US. Now my parents have moved to Lloyds road. Surprised to Emben bomb fell so close to place where i lived(though in way far past!)
  • Nice to hear these details.

sps

===========
  • wow.. dear SRIRAMAN !!

Great..

sps

=======

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters