Need to protect our family heritage
  • Dear members,

Recently i was invited to attend a marriage function. Normally i did not attend marriage functions for the two reasons. One is food, as the food served in the marriages did not any ware match the food, doctor prescribed for me and another reason for avoiding marriages is traveling in a heavy traffic. However this time i could not refuse as  the marriage is for  son of my close friend.

and highly closed conservative family i had seen so far. At my child hood i attended marriages of my friends family members like his brother or sister's marriages.

At that time, the ladies who attended the family are very orthodox and they are taking care of her husbands and children. But things were changed

In the yesterday's marriage no body wearing Madisar except very very few, who are attending rituals.

Only husband's are taking care for their children feeding food to them. I got major shock. and carefully watched the ladies who attended the marriage.

What a surprise? I found none of wearing Mangalya suthra in their neck. Earlier they look like Maha lakshmi with yellow color Mangalya suthra. What happened to that practice?

I hope they are still wearing thalli in gold chain and hide them in their jackets.

I have closely watched their talk too. Earlier Eennna not at all heared. vaanga poonga kUda illingO. 

Some young girls calling her husband by name and order them either to take care of their children or to bring some thing to them.

Enna aachu ellaththukkum. ithuthaan women's liberation naa?

I am highly mentally affected by these new culture, hiding taali, wearing abnormal dresses, not taking care of children, calling husband by his name. Or I am getting old not fit for the younger generation?. Spoiling our heritage i hope never be woman's liberation?

Members may clarify?
  • Dear Sir,
    I think you have not seen the transformation in close quarters for sometime and watching it after a long gap could have been a rude shock to you.
    I personally feel that these observance of so called tradition is purely an individual's choice. Where Manglasutra's part of our culture? When did this come in to vogue is another question for the historians. when did metti go out of fashion for men could be another question to answer.

On one hand we have Vairam's last post from Kurunthogai on Iyarkai Punarchi. If this was also celebrated then, where the question of "Ennna" or even calling one by name.

Today the family is supported by both husband and wife. The relationship is more of a peer or a friend rather than superior and subordinate. Though it could be said it was always so, it is much more evident and public. There is nothing wrong with this.

In my opinion the culture is not in the practices of wearing of clothes, ornaments or even for that matter the food that we eat. These have changed through the generations, I am sure 2 generations ago, there would have been people shocked when women wore jackets instead of Kacchai. When the men folks had their hair trimmed it would have caused revolt. The introduction of vegetable like cabbage, cauliflower, potato would have caused an upheaval. As many say, the change is the only permanent thing.
  • Hi,

I will very much agree with Arvind's point.

"Today the family is supported by both husband and wife. The relationship is
    more of a peer or a friend rather than superior and subordinate. Though it
    could be said it was always so, it is much more evident and public. There
    is nothing wrong with this."
  • Date: 21-6-2010

Thiru Kalaanithi(Dr)Lakshmanan Kailasam,

You mentioned below the follows.

"......What a surprise? I found none of wearing Mangalya suthra in their neck. Earlier they look like Maha lakshmi with yellow color Mangalya suthra. What happened to that practice?

I hope they are still wearing thalli in gold chain and hide them in their jackets....."

".....I am highly mentally affected by these new culture, hiding taali, wearing abnormal dresses, not taking care of children, calling husband by his name. Or I am getting old not fit for the younger generation?. Spoiling our heritage i hope never be woman's liberation?...."
  • I find people are wearing Kumkum. Though they wear a sticker pootu, they wear a kumkum in the "Vahudu"

I ,as a Marketig man alqays surprised how saree is kept alive by the Major silk stores and the new launches they are doing. I thought 10 years before that saree will disappear. My earlier boss - always was surprised on the marketing of sraees - both in print and visual media including hoardings and the launches like vivaha, samudrika etc.

Are we attending marriage in Pancha Katcham or keeping the sandya vandanam on all the 3 kalams.

with that costly silk saree worn with a saree pin - it is better we keep the baby and feed.

why blame them.
  • Hi Arvind,
    a nice coincidence : '. . . change is the only permanent
    thing' . . . I just heard a Tibetan Buddhist
    monk speak yesterday, and he reinforced that very idea!
    kathie

> Dear Sir,
    >
    > I think you have not seen the transformation in close quarters for
    > sometime and watching it after a long gap could have been a rude
    > shock to you.
    > I personally feel that these observance of so called tradition is
    > purely an individual's choice. Where Manglasutra's part of our
    > culture? When did this come in to vogue is another question for the
    > historians. when did metti go out of fashion for men could be
    > another question to answer.
    >
    > On one hand we have Vairam's last post from Kurunthogai on Iyarkai
    > Punarchi. If this was also celebrated then, where the question of
    > "Ennna" or even calling one by name.
    >
    > Today the family is supported by both husband and wife. The
    > relationship is more of a peer or a friend rather than superior and
    > subordinate. Though it could be said it was always so, it is much
    > more evident and public. There is nothing wrong with this.
    >
    > In my opinion the culture is not in the practices of wearing of
    > clothes, ornaments or even for that matter the food that we eat.
    > These have changed through the generations, I am sure 2 generations
    > ago, there would have been people shocked when women wore jackets
    > instead of Kacchai. When the men folks had their hair trimmed it
    > would have caused revolt. The introduction of vegetable like
    > cabbage, cauliflower, potato would have caused an upheaval. As many
    > say,
    >
    > Thanks and Regards
    > Arvind
    >
  • What we men did in the twentieth century is now aggressively done by the
    women; why blame them?
    A fortnight ago I visited Talakkad in Mandya district of Karnataka. The
    Kirtinarayan temple buried in the sand dunes is under excavation and
    rebuild. As the temple is incomplete, one can get very close to the
    moolavar; metti can be seen clearly on the toes of Kirtinarayan.
    Sampath
  • > I am highly mentally affected by these new culture, hiding taali,
    > wearing abnormal dresses, not taking care of children, calling
    > husband by his name. Or I am getting old not fit for the younger
    > generation?. Spoiling our heritage i hope never be woman's
    > liberation?

I doubt if this can be called as culture decline as the term varies at different time lines of history. Adapting to later generation ordeals may not be classified as heritage or culture failure.

When Aandal can call Krishna with his name, i dont know why a woman today cannot call her husband by name.

If we consider Madisar as our culture I am not sure when that joined ours since sangam age.

I am not trying to be hard on the older thoughts, i am saying its easier to adapt and look at what our generation can learn from positive reinforcement to our younger generation.
    Honestly, I care a rat if my child wears a churidhar or jean - i only care if she is good in her life as a human being and useful to the society and promotes good values.

Dressing and figurative speech are a part of fashion trend, to mix that with culture is a older thought that cannot stand for a longer time with the way the world lives today.

If you ask me, even marriage in the current format is a later generation infusion, male dominated for the most part.

Can you explain how the children were taken care of during vedic times ? What was the parental bonding , did the dad / mom sit and feed the kids and teach them math ?

Am positive - these all came in the past few hundred years!!!

I would even say, this parental bonding is one of the reasons for karma builds and expectation of returns from children etc.

PS: I would not go very far into women liberation etc with these petty issues, this planet... is in reality a woman's world... all along - and most of us know it :-)

- R

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters