• Friends

we discussed earlier on Amadhyar - Brahmadyar ( Amadhyar - born brahmins but taken up military positions and Brahmadyar - born brahmins but taken up administrative positions. but some discussions went on that with some doubts)

Paranjothi - Amadhyar. Now i am studying of manickavasagar. Thevaaram org mentions him as Amadhyar . See the releant paragraph below.
    http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/nayanmar_view.php?nayan_idField=4
    திருவவதாரம்:

வையை யாற்றங்கரையில் மதுரை மாநகரத்திலிருந்து ஏழு கி.மீ. தொலைவில் திருவாதவூர் என்ற தலம் உள்ளது. இத்தலத்தில் இறைவன் வாதபுரீசுவரர் என்னும் திருநாமத்தோடு எழுந்தருளி யுள்ளார். இத்தலம் வாயு பூசித்த காரணத்தால் வாதபுரம் என வழங்கப் பெறுகிறது. இந்நகரில் அமாத்திய அந்தணர் குலத்தில் சிவநெறி பிறழாச் சிந்தையாளராகிய அந்தணர் ஒருவர் வாழ்ந்து வந்தார். அவர் பெயர்
    சம்புபாதா சிருதர். அவர் மனைவியாரின் பெயர் சிவஞானவதி என்பதாகும். இவ்விருவரும் இல்லறம் வழுவாது ஒழுகிவரும் நாளில் தென்னாட்டில் புறச் சமயமாகிய புத்தம் மேலோங்கி இருந்தது. சைவ சமய வளர்ச்சி குன்றியிருந்தது. இறைவன் திருவருளால் இவ் விருவருக்கும், சைவம் தழைக்கவும், வேத சிவாகம நெறிகள் விளங்க வும் திருமகனார் ஒருவர் திரு அவதாரம் செய்தருளினார். தாய் தந்தையார் மனம்
    மகிழ்ந்து அம்மகனார்க்கு ``திருவாதவூரர்`` என்னும் திருப்பெயர்ச் சூட்டினர்.

when he took up a ministerial post - his name changed to தென்னவன் பிரம ராயன்: ( So for enjoying any benefit in Chaturvedi mangalam -one must be regularly practising vedas, yagas and Muthee Ombal.( maintaing the 3 fires) The moment they stop and take up a job, their name is changed accordingly)

Time of Manickavasagar: I was strongly feeling that manickavasagar must be of second pandya period. I did not take his works for Ramayanam before kamban. But yesterday, while going through Appar thevaram - 4th thirumuari- 4th Padigam - 2nd song - i was bit shocked to read

நரியைக் குதிரைசெய் வானும் நரகரைத் தேவுசெய் வானும்
    விரதங்கொண் டாடவல் லானும் விச்சின்றி நாறுசெய் வானும்
    முரசதிர்ந் தானைமுன் னோட முன்பணிந் தன்பர்க ளேத்த
    அரவரைச் சாத்திநின் றானு மாரூ ரமர்ந்தவம் மானே.

Then - manickavasagar must be much earlier also.

With so much info , mandodadri legend with Uthirakosamangai, the Ramayanam before Kamban - will be explored further.
  • I am very happy that Sambandhar has come to my rescue!!
    I had earlier said Man Ek Vasagar was a great scholar and belonged perhaps to a period, eariler than the na-aryanmars, but I was pooh pooed by the PSV pandits!!
    R. Narasimhan
  • BACK TO MANICKA VASAGAR ?!

Another nice lead.

Let us go into the details...

rgds / sps

===========
  • Wonderful Sankar...Thanks a ton for sharing this.
    I too read in www.tamilhindu.com that Manickavasagar has been referred in
    Thevaram. When I asked which Thevaram, the author told me that he heard it
    from some scholars and didnt know personally.

Then i too was hoping to find this thevaram sometime....you really saved me
    my time.

I too strongly believed that MV should be much earlier than thought..but now
    its beyond doubt that he is pre 6th century.
    Even there were speculations that MV should be an imaginary character...

I think the temple could be of much later period..but surely not MV.
  • somebody told me that even manivasagar is mentioned in thevaram. will search once back from rishikesh - till 25th

read chandi in train. it gives specific details on sapta ( actually nava) matrika installation. will come back and write
  • somebody told me that even manivasagar is mentioned in thevaram. will search once back from rishikesh - till 25th

read chandi in train. it gives specific details on sapta ( actually nava) matrika installation. will come back and write
  • Thanks Satheesh.

Can you please specify who's thevaram is this and which padigam (numbers)?
    It will be very useful for this.

But I am surprised, why this was not brought to light..There are many people
    who hve read Appar's thevaram, but still say that Manickavasagar is of later
    period...
  • Date: 16-5-2010

Dear Thiru Sankaranarayanan,

Please read my Thread on the subject 'The period of Saint Maanikkavaasakar' in the Mayyam Website. The URL of same is:

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2126174#2126174

Anbudan Virarajendra
  • I referred the book I have with me. I have
    உமா பதிப்பகம்
    தேவாரம் - வரலாற்று முறையில் மூலமும் - உரையும்
    உரையாசிரியர் புலவர் ப. ரா. நடராசன்

This book is not on the lines of 'Tirumurai' but on this sequence in which
    Appar sang the songs..
    So I reffered the pathigam 4-4, which appears in part 2 of this 3 volume
    series. P 106.

விளக்கம்:
    'நரியை குதிரை செய்வான்' என்ற தொடர் 'நரியைப் பரிசெய் வானும் என்ற
    திருவாசகத்தைத் தொடருடன் ஒத்திருத்தல் காண்க. காலத்தால் மணிவாசகருக்கு
    குற்பட்டவர் திருநாவுக்கரசர் . இத்தொடர் பற்றி தமிழ் பேரறிஞர் தஞ்சை சீனிவாசம்
    பிள்ளை அவர்கள் தாம் எழுதிய தமிழ் வராற்றில் லிளக்கும் அழகே அழகு.

'மாயவித்தை செய்வதில் வல்லான் இவன்' என்பதுபட எழுந்த இத்தொடரன்ரி இதற்கும்
    திருவிளையாடளுக்கும் தினையளவேனும் இணைத்துப் பார்த்தல் வேண்டா.
    *"பணிவார் பிணிதீர்த் தருளிப் பழைய அடியார்க்குன்
    அணியார் பாதங் கொடுத்தி" (திருச்சதகம் 89 )
    *திருநாவுகரசருக்கு ஏற்பட்ட சூலைநோயைத் தீர்த்த செய்தியையும் அவர் முடியில்
    பெருமான் தம் திருவடிகளை வைத்தருளிய செய்தியையும் இத்தொடர் குறிக்கின்றது
    என்பதில் ஐயம்மில்லை

Probably the above Tiruvasagam (thiruchchatakam) is the base on which it is
    deduced that appar pre dates manickavasagar.

So, is it pure coincidence that appar refers to the lord changing 'fox to
    horse' as a mere metaphor?
    On the other hand, www.thevaaram.org quotes that it is a reference to
    Manickavasagars story.

http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/songview.php?thiru=4&Song_idField=40040&padhi=004&startLimit=2&limitPerPage=1&sortBy=&sortOrder=DESC

If Satheesh can provide the number of the quoted reference, then we can find
    more.
  • Manickavasagar- 3BC to 13th AD. Strong For and against arguments.

uthitakosamangai and thirupperundurai - not mentioned in thevaram

But 2 thevaramas on nari to pari.

nobody can conclussively say anything on the subject.

But i personally movimg from 13th AD position, and in the Ramayanam series, i will include Manickavasagar and he may be or may not be before kamban.
  • Date: 18-5-2010

Dear Thiru Sankaranarayanan, did you visit the Website below ???

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2126174#2126174

Dear SPS - any comments on my above thread on Maanikkavaasakar

Mikka Anbudan Virarajendra
  • The Manickavasagar time is very intresting.

The Nari- pari may not be anu " Uruvagams" and must refer a miracle only.

Also Thevaram mentions Thiruvilayadals like Dharumi inncident.

One thing is sure. My faith on 13th ADis shaken.
  • Some one explaied

NARI - PARI
    (Fox) ( Horse)

is YOGIC symbolisms.

sps

=======
  • Dear driends

Please consider the possibility of the use of NARI-PARI as a prevalent proverb to describe a person's versatility. Sakalakalavallabhan!!
    It is totally absurd to imagine there was any miracle.
    Mind you, I have great regard for Man Ek Vasagar as a scholar with single-minded devotion.

R. Narasimhan
  • Hi,
    Papanasam Pallaivananathar Kovil has interesting sculptures on this episode. You can see the same on these links.

http://picasaweb.google.com/arvind.venkatraman/PapanasamPaalaivananatharKovil#5372481839481444194
    http://picasaweb.google.com/arvind.venkatraman/PapanasamPaalaivananatharKovil#5372481964408986514

Vijay had also posted on this in his blog http://www.poetryinstone.in/?s=jackal

There has always been a dispute around the time of Manikavasakar. Maraimalaiadigal came out with a book stating that Manikavasagar pre-dated Appar, Sambandhar and Sundarar.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters