Difference b/w North Indian (Nagara) and South Indian (Dravidian) temple styles
  • Dear Members,
    This question is troubling me from many days. The more and more I read and this is becoming more complex. Mr James Fergusson was one of the first archaeologist who proposed that two different temple styles exist in India. He named those as Nagara and Dravidian style. Since then it has been accepted by all following historians and archaeologists.
    I did have seen examples of both types of architecture however I did not find any distinct difference between these two. I agree that the style of sikhara is different in certain examples, however can it be the only reason to classify the architecture into two different lines. As all the following historians accepted these styles so there must be some difference between the two, however I am not able to find with my little knowledge. To me, all the elements of a temple, such as mandapa, antarala, garbha-griha, maha-mandapa, mukha-mandapa etc, are seen in both the styles in mostly similar fashion. When the elements of the temple styles are same then what makes them distinct.
    I would be very grateful if someone can give a little knowledge on this.
    I want to find some distinct differences existing in these two styles, if there are.
  • Dear Saurabh,

In www.varalaaru.com - Lavanya, Kamalakkannan have been writing on the details of temple architecture under the guidance of Dr. Kalaikkovan and Dr. Nalini.

Will check for some articles and mail.

But most of them are in Tamil language.

We can seek permission from Dr. Kalaikkovan and from the authors - to translate them into English.

Kamalakkanan is presenting a paper in Chemmozhi Conference, CBT next month. Can talk to him and see whether he himself will translate / write.

Our moderator Gokul will help us I am sure.

thanks for your interest Saurabh.

Will share some basic details on temple architecture when we are meeting in Chennai next month.

rgds/ sps

==========
  • Hi SPS,
    May you please confirm the dates so that I can go ahead with reservations. Also I am thinking if I can coverup some heritage site nearby, so any suggestions? I have been to Kanchi and Mahabalipuram already. Can we plan a day trip also if time and capacity permit?
  • Uthiramerur or Panamalai?
    kathie
  • hi saurabh

have you read the works of Adam Hardy. pretty detailed with lots of scale
    drawings. i remember reading one which dealt with the trasnformational
    styles but it was too detailed ( that time for me)
  • Dear SPS

This is most interesting. I would love to help in translating Varalaaru.com articles into English. In fact when I last met Kamal in Coimbatore we did talk about this.

Do keep me posted if the project comes up
  • Dear Sri Hari,

Will talk to Dr. Kalaikkovan and Dar. Nalini and revert.

regds / sps
  • Dear Sri. Hari,

Dr. Kalaikkovan is pleased & blessed.

However it is varalaaru Editorial Board which handles these.

will mail to them and revert within a week or so.

We can handle the Temple Architecture Serial to begin with - I guess.

rgds / sps

=======
  • Thank you so much SPS sir
    Hari

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters