Pallava Cave Temple at Thiruchirappalli Rockfort - Lalitankura Pallavesvara Griham|
  • wonderful link dear Vijay.

Dyon RN - as usual - has referred to HULTZ ( British Scholar who was instrumental in bringing out SII volumes (particularly more associated with Pallava - Thanjai inscriptions) and MICHAEL LOCKWOOD (refer dear our Kamalakkannan interviewing him in the USA and publishing the same in www.varalaaru.com - a few years back ) and other contemporary Scholars - and essentially brought out the PUNning - SLEDAI - in the verses of Mahendra I.

Also related to certain factual references whether Ganges was referred to or was it Malaimagal (Parvathi).

Interesting references.

thanks for bringing to attention.

warm regards/ sps
  • YOU CAN COLLECT ADYANTAKAAMAM from me.

Rajasimha gives the geneology of the Pallavas - commencing from Bharadhwaja rishi - leading to new terminologies - BRAHMA KSHATRIYAs !

Remarkable work by Dr. Kalaikkovan and Dr. Nalini

sps
  • dear sps

I am looking for material on the lower cave - variously attributed to pandya
    / narasimha pallava - its very imposing and defn later escavation. Any book
    references on it
  • Brahma Kshatriyas.
    Read somewheer that -
    Brahmins who go to Administrative work - Brahamadyars @ Brahmarayars - Our Anbil Anirudhar.
    Brahmins who take up Kshtriya work of warfare - Amadyars - Our Paranjothi.
  • Krishna Raman, Minister of RRC also Brahmarayars. His son Arunmozhi is Minister of RJC as mentoned in Udayar (true or not?)

Vimala
  • Krishna Raman, Minister of RRC also Brahmarayars. His son Arunmozhi is
    Minister of RJC as mentoned in Udayar (true or not?)

As my knowledge, It's not True..
  • Dear Shankar

I am not sure if Paranjothi was a brahmin...atleast not according to Kalkis SS

Sri

If I can stop one heart from breaking,I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease one life the aching,Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin, Into his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.
    Emily Dickinson

To: ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com
  • I told that he is of amadyar clan. The amadyars are like brahmadityars. Brahmadityars are brahmins( once) took up Governemnet services and Amadyars are brahmins( once) who subsequentlytookup military.

http://www.shaivam.org/english/sen_th12_siruthondar.htm

In those days of strict lifestyle enforced for the Brahmins, once they took up other professions, they became a separate entity.
  • Few points from an article:

Mahamatrar in Sanskrit became mamattirar in Tamil. There is a lot evidence to support that the title mahamatrar is used to refer to those who left the Vedic rituals and became doctors and warriors. For those who occupied high positions in the king's administration, and took distinct responsibilities, they were called 'mahamatrar' in the sloka that refers to this. Maha means big, matra means level— in what:
    Mantre, karmani, bhooshayam, vide, mane, pracchate|
    Matre cha mahati yesham mahamatrastu te smruta:||

Mantre in this context should be interpreted to mean, instead of "the mantra sastra", rather the "confidential advice to the king". Mahamatrar has a big part in giving advice to the king. Next karmani – he has a lot of responsibilities in the administration; bhushanam: his decorations and jewels will be similar to the royal ones; vitte – he is also endowed with wealth; mane – respect; next to the king, he is given societies' due respect; paricchate – servants – like the king he also has dedicated servants. Paricchate can also mean clothes, meaning that mahamatrar has some high quality of clothes.

In the Amara which is the foremost among the Sanskrit dictionaries, there is mention of mahamatrar. The kings are refered to by various names: chakravarti, sarvabowman, manda-leswaran, samrat, then, mahamtrar occurs when his servants are mentioned. Usually we use mantri pradani. Pradani is the administrative head who is next to the minister. Before referring to this administrator, mahamatrar is mentioned for the minister, and after that the Vedic teachers are also mentioned.

Though they had given up the highest duties of Brahmins, which is the Vedic rituals, they were called mahamatrar because they performed capably the medical or military tasks. Matra also refers to benchmark; we can say that they lived as a good benchmark to the society. Though they did not practice the Vedas, they had studied the books on sastras well. When sekkizhar talks about paranjyoti in the periyapuranam, he states that paranjyoti was well versed in Ayurveda and had studied several Sanskrit books. In addition to practicing the Ayurveda and dhanur Veda which are prescribed for mahamatrars, he also excelled in specialities such as gaja (elephant) and asva (horse) sastras, i.e. he was highly skilled in managing the troops of elephant and horses.

Visit http://ponniyinselvan.in to find archived messages
    Visit http://festival2009.ponniyinselvan.in to find out about PSVP Vizha

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters