Meykandaar
  • Dear Gandhiram,

Meykandaar was born at Pennagadam only. The year was 1223 AD.

As per the advise of elders the parents of Meykandaar stayed at Thiruvenkadu and prayed Swetharanya Perumaan after taking dips at Mukkulam - three tanks of SOMA, SURYA AND AGNI.

They came back after doing this ritual to their ntive Pennagadam and got blessed with a son soon. He was named 'Suvedaaranya Perumaan' and later became to be known as Meykandaar.

Dhivakar

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Yahoo! Homepage. http://in.yahoo.com/
  • Dear Dhivakar Sir,

Write on Thiruvengadu please.

All 3 ::

Moorthi
    Ambal
    Theertham
  • Dear SPS,

Thiruvengadu, I treat as my native place, (it is four kilometre away from our village) and an important place even now for me while I visit that route.

Some informations about the sthalam and Meykandar

http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/koil_view.php?koil_idField=264

Till 1990s there were hardly any rush in the temple. But when people came to know about Bhudha sthalam, now a days more rush. Oneway it is good that the temple also get good revenue.

D
  • Dear Dhivakar,

that is a very interesting link.

"Manalellam Sivalingam " (every sand particle looks like sivalingam to me ... do not want to set my foot down !) hymned Gnanasambandar.. and Ambigai just caught the child and moved through sky !! Pillai idukki amman.

This link alone gives so much of information.

That is the religeous side.

Re History side - having been closer to Kaveripoompattinam - with the after effects of Tsunami - definitely this place enjoyed very special status... Also in known as AADHI CHIDAMBARAM.. the Chithsabai does not figure in the popular ones - but considered more ancient ...

Vaishnavite 12 Shrines (Around Nangoor and Thiruvali ( ? - your place Sir) around.. all are Divyadesams.

And 11 Siva temples around.

Nangoor Garuda sevai..

Sadhasiva Brahmendra ..

Paramsivendra Adhistanam ..

And the famous KRISHNAN RAMAN AND SEMBIYAN MADEVI Bronzes having been found here..

dont you think - Thiruvengadu is not adequately projected in single plate ?

regards/ sps
  • Dear SPS,

During Vira Rajendra Chola (1063-1070), he established two schools (Vedha Patasalai, probably)at Bhuvanagiri and Thiruvengadu. Both the schools were led by Aghora Siva Chariar, who came from Gowda Dhesam and settled in Tamilnadu.

Even though there is no record that Sivachariar named himself after the deityAkoramurthi of Thiruvengadu, but there were copper plate records that the school was established by him and called as Vira Rajendra Patasala. I think this is available at Sarabhoji Library.

Yes, Gnanasambanthar was physically lifted by Ambal (this wasalso due to the Muruga - Amsam of Sambanthar). But in these areas of 12 Garuda seva Dhivyasthalams and 11 Shiva Temples, the full structures were completed during KDR period (including our own Thiruvali Thirunagari). Even now most of Nangur Dhivyasthalams struggling for daily-three time Pooja, not only due to funds shortage butalso Bhattacharyas.

I am also one of the member of Nangur Dhivyasthala Group.

AP Nagarajan' son has helped lot, I heard recently.

Meanwhile, in my recent visit, I enquired Thiruvengadu Temple Priests (as most of Preist's fathers were very close to our family those days) how they get funds, etc. They are presently happy with the Temple goingbut future is bleak, they said. Most of the youngsters in Priests' families have gone to cities for a materialistic joyful life with good jobs. Present Generation don't like to continue the priest job.

I suggest when your next visit, you can get me some details on this.

Dhivakar
  • Dear Sri Dhivakar.

one Meenakshi ammal from Malaysia donated about 20 lacs or so to the temple about 5 - 6 years back.

Budhan gets good income.

will enquire and revert.

regards . sps

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters