Introduction by a New member of Ponniyin Selvan Gp
  • This is a lovely introduction by Gayathri.. new member from Malaysia.,

Request even Silent members to write covering ::

when did you read Ponniyinselvan ?
    Any other works of Kalki ?

How do you come to know of this Group ?

Whenever you find time, will you please go through the first 100 mails .. to find out whether RAVIDASAN & CO
    were REAL CHARACTERS or Imaginary Characters ?

Whether Nandhini was real or Unreal ?

Also to find out our Group's experience when we travelled from Kadambur (Veeranam) to Kodiaykkarai almost tracing the same route as was taken by our beloved Vandhiyathevan ..

And more and much more..

welcome aboard..

anbudan / sps
  • Hello Everyone,

Eventhough I had heard a lot about PS during my school days, the first Kalki novel that I read was Parthiban Kanavu. Followed that with Sivagamiyin Sabatham. Both the novels I read in 1995 during my 12th std vacation. I read PS during my college days. Though I am a bigfan of PS, my favorite character of Kalki is Narasimha Varma Pallavan.

I joined this group only a few months back when I was browsing google for PS related articles.Since then I have been enjoying the informative mails and the heated discussions amongst members.

I do wish to actively participate in discussions though my knowledge of Tamil History is very limited.

Thankyou,

Prasanna
  • Dear Prasanna,

most welcome.

browse through some earlier mails.

suppose you have doubt re imperial cholas or vijayalayan or mutharayas (of having read now from Gokul or Katherine's mails), put the word VIAJAYALA or MUTHARAYA in SEARCH ..

you will find related discussions from our Archives ..

just go through them leisurely whenever you find time.

you will know some old questions vanished and new questions pop up..

thanks and very best wishes,

sps
  • HI All,
    I am Sethuramalingam. I live in Bangalore and I work for Hewlett-Packard. I guess there are quite a few HP folks here in this group. :)

>>when did you read Ponniyinselvan ?
    >>Any other works of Kalki ?

I first read PS when i was in school, when it was serialized in kalki magazine. I am not very sure about the year, i guess it must be the late 80s.  I still remember there used to be a rush and potti onwho reads PS first immediately after the magazine arrives. I read PS again in September. But this time it was a totally different experience reading it. The character i like most is Vandiyathevan, as with many others :) The best think I like about Kalki's writing is that he transports you to that era completely and you feel as though you are watching the events unfold right in front of your eyes. I wish the richness of Chozha vazha naaduas described by kalki, returns to tamilnadu soon.I have also read SS, butmy personal opinion isPS is better anyday.

>>How do you come to know of this Group ?
    I found this group courtesy google sometime in October last year. Honestly speaking, I did not have any expectations when i joined this group.I assumed it would be a group of people who are fans of PS. But Iwas pleasantly surprised and really overwhelmed at the amount of knowledge that is available in this group. Even though I have been a silent member, I spend atleast an hour everyday reading through all the mails. I would like to take this opportunity to thank all stalwarts in this group for having enriched my knowledge in South Indian history.I joined just before the PS meet, however I could not attend the event. Looking forward to meeting you all whenever the next such event happens.

A question I have is, when history is so interesting to learn, why did we(atleast most of us in schooldays) find it so boring and dry to read in school. Is it the way the subject is taught? Or is it because, most of the history we study is North Indian history, which maybe irrelevant to us?. Even in state board schools, we learn more about the mauryas and moghuls than about the Chozhas, Cheras or Pandyas. Would it help if history is customized in each state where it is taught and made more relevant, rather than a single textbook throughout the country(In case of CBSE or ICSE)?
  • Hi Sethu,

Welcome aboard. :)Try to join agathiyar yahoo groups also. :) you will be in
  • Hi Nanda,
    I have joined agathiyar and temple cleaners also. I guess around 3 months back, immediately after you had mentioned the same to me. As with here, i am silent there too, gaining knowledge, before i can contribute.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters