Lemuri Continent
  • It is learnt that Lemuria, a continent was submerged in the Indian ocean and the original Pandya Kingdom lost in the Ocean. The original capital of Pandya Kingdom Madurai was also submerged and the present day Madurai was established after that. Can anybody give mre details.

Raj
    New Delhi
  • Dear Sir,

I myself interested in this topic. But no concrete proof is available yet. The island nation - Maldives... the name in tamil is "malai Thevu" that is if you look the altos (group of island) is will look like a "malai" ie., one we wear around our neck. I have read that in the OLD PANDIYA kingdom (kumarai kandam or lemuria kandam) there existed some 7 mountains. I presume that after the sea encourgement the remains of the mountain peack formed as Malai Thevu ie maldives... but there is no proof. If we have crores of crores of money we can invest the same in conducting a research under the Indian Occean to find the truth.

I have reference in Silapathikaram, tholkapiyam, purananuru etc... at home.. i will give it  next day. These are literature proof but not archielogical proof exist now.

My tamil speaking forfathers have continuosuly been telling a story to us that  a land mass existed south of kanniyakumari (cape comrin). I believe my grandpa..he believe his grandpa and he his grandpa.....
  • HI Arul

we are talking about a sea level rise of several hundred feet if mountains need to become islands

venketesh

>
    > Dear Sir,
    >
    > I myself interested in this topic. But no concrete proof is available yet. The island nation - Maldives... the name in tamil is "malai Thevu" that is if you look the altos (group of island) is will look like a "malai" ie., one we wear around our neck. I have read that in the OLD PANDIYA kingdom (kumarai kandam or lemuria kandam) there existed some 7 mountains. I presume that after the sea encourgement the remains of the mountain peack formed as Malai Thevu ie maldives... but there is no proof. If we have crores of crores of money we can invest the same in conducting a research under the Indian Occean to find the truth.
    >
    >
    > I have reference in Silapathikaram, tholkapiyam, purananuru etc... at home.. i will give it  next day. These are literature proof but not archielogical proof exist now.
    >
    > My tamil speaking forfathers have continuosuly been telling a story to us that  a land mass existed south of kanniyakumari (cape comrin). I believe my grandpa..he believe his grandpa and he his grandpa.....
    >
  • More to the point, they're coral reefs, not continental protrusions. That
    makes them very bad candidates for a sunken continent.

Shash
  • ...there is a possibility if lemuria was 12 000 years old

For instance, during the last ice age 18,000 years ago when hundreds of thousands of cubic miles of ice were stacked up on the continents as glaciers, sea level was 390 ft lower, locations that today support coral reefs were left high and dry, and coastlines were miles away from the present-day coastline.

It was during this time of very low sea level that there was a dry land connection between Asia and america over which humans are believed to have migrated to North America
    However, for the past 6,000 years the world's sea level has almost the level we see today.

12000 years ago the sea was 200 feet lower than today and a land was possible several miles away.

but then there was no flourishing civilisataion 12000 years ago that left records

venketesh
  • The epics not just speak about lemuria, Even give the name of a river as Pahruli River.

remember reading a novel ( ie serial in some magazine)by Kannadasan with lemuria as "kalam"
  • Technically speaking, the tectonic plate movements caused the splitting up
    of continents and shrinking of land. Even today the movement is there, this
    is the cause mount Everest formation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/everest/earth/birth.html
  • Dear Arul,

Here is the dough from Wiki:

Lemuria (continent)

Lemuria is the name of a hypothetical "lost land" variously located in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. The concept's 19th century origins lie in attempts to account for discontinuities in biogeography -- however, the scientific concept of Lemuria has been rendered obsolete by modern understanding of plate tectonics. Although sunken continents do exist — like Zealandia in the Pacific and the Kerguelen Plateau in the Indian Ocean — there is no known geological formation under the Indian or Pacific Oceans that corresponds to the hypothetical Lemuria.

Though Lemuria is no longer considered a valid scientific hypothesis, it has been adopted by writers involved in the occult, as well as some Tamil writers of India. Accounts of Lemuria differ, but all share a common belief that a continent existed in ancient times and sank beneath the ocean as a result of a geological, often cataclysmic, change. There is no scientific evidence to support these claims.

Happy New Year

Sivaraman

To: ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters