Meaning of Alexander
  • Dear Friends

Now after Ganapathi, let us discuss Murugan

The word Skandar is pronounced in semitic languages as Iskandar ( like School - iskool)

Al is an adjuctive in semitic languages.

Al Iskandar became Alexander ( The Skanda)

Intrestingly Murugan's Skanda name means Devasenapathi. The Thalapadi of thevars.

Alexander has also means The Defender/Warrior  in Greek.

The other relationship i find

In Skanda Sashti ( in Tamilandu inspite of calling him murugan, this particular festival is called Skanda Sashti) time Bihar celebrates " Chat" festival

Murugan is agni swarupam and " Gugaiyil Valarum Kanal" ( Agani in the heart)

In Chat, which is supposed to have come with the Greek wife of Chandragupta also a festival at the same time and worships the other Agani Sun.

Is this shows that the culture of ancient civilisation was singulur, which is now practised only in India?

• Hi
    http://murugan.org/research/gopalapillai.htm
    as early as 1937 there seems to have been research going on

is deeply absorbed into islamic and christian as well as other mythologies.
    indeed a charecter mentioned in quran is often identified as alexander himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iskandarnamah

venketesh
  • Hi
    what a co incidence?
    thiruparamkundram hill a skanda temple is also called sikander malai for completely different reasons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiruparankundram

venketesh
  • Dear Venkat

No coincidence

Kanchi Paramacharya after conscreting the skandagiri temple in secunderabad, gave this explanation of al iskandar and said that is why he constructed the skanda temple at sikkandarabad.

I took from him only to write this article

regarsd
  • Fascinating! Is there any evidence of 'Skanda' before the
    time of Alexander? I know that in many murtis He wears boots,
    showing that He's from the north.
    How did He get identified with a rooster?
    Kathie
  • Skanda is just one Avatar of Muruga.

Rooster is associated with the Shanmuka of south, there are many meanings to it. Rooster symbolically signifies the dawn of light and peacock (from the hen family) signifies graceful dance and also of kundalini yoga. The concept of Suran comes here as he is not killed but his energy transformed to the service of Lord (symbolic as Rooster and Peacock). This also makes Muruga special. There is a very detailed meaning for the word Guha.

While I have heard of this alexandar as the avatar of Skanda (or skanda himself), he is also believed to be the son of Zeus (indra). (Muruka) Skanda is a very unique Lord as in Ares- he posses a spear and as in thiruthani he rides the airavatam. So was he Indra himself ? You can find Karthikeya during the battle of Ganesha in many northern texts, so is he the younger brother of Ganesha or elder?

Not to mention the sculpture carvings in parankunram.

Closely associated with Mars (say in the term of War), he adopts the chief of War.

The war itself is a question for the intellects on which account, war as in literal war or war as within oneself!

Either way, it is a war nevertheless and Krishna says, Among the generals he is Skanda.

Muruga is not such easily decoded as he has a larger than usual presence, infact he is also considered as a unifier of the 6 religious streams, hence there is a finger in every piece of pie.

Knowledge is very limited, and what ever that may be, it is He bestows that unto me - K.Anubuthi V 17.

PS: Sikander means the defender.
  • Hi Guys,

Though of introducing you to this link, now that we are talking of murugan, skanda & alexander. Lets add Dionysus into this conversation.

http://www.kataragama.org/research/dionysus.htm
  • Excellent Ravi

யாமோதிய கல்வியு மெம் மறிவுந்
    தாமே பெற வேலவர் தந்தனாற்
    பூமேல் மயல் போ யறமெய்ப் புணர்வீர்
    தாமேல் நடவீர் நடவீ ரினியே.

Dhivakar
  • I think the Murugan link also talks about Dionysus. Let me ask this question: Is it not possible that the Greeks come to the sub-continent and create the entire Alexander myth based on what they find out?

Sometime back I read that, there was really no archaeological evidences to support the fact that Alexander really existed.
  • So there are only literary evidences? Funny how the West (and others) never care for the literary evidences of Kumari Kandam or earlier Sangam era; but are not so 'closed' when it comes to Greek or the Romans.

Since he is known to have attacked India, naturally there could be something from our side too right?
  • Firends

Alexander is Not Murugan Avatar. The meaning of his name is Skanda. That is it.
  • How so?

If one entertains the thoughts that Murugan is Alexander, why not entertain the thought that Alexander is Murugan? Just asking.
  • Dear Shankar

Alexander called as Skanda or not, is to be disputed at all times as much as he was an avatar or not.
    Earlier part of the statement is mostly history mixed with myth and legends, but the later part... as humans we do not know who is the avatar of what. An energy force manifestation cannot be discounted that easily, to conclude so, you must know both Alexander and Muruga personally (inside out)...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters