Vathapy Ganapathy
  • Dear Members,
    Yesterday I had a chance to visit to Thiruchenkattangudi, the native of Paranjothi and visited the temple and the great Vathapy Ganapathy. The photos are uploaded in our photos album.
    Kind regards,
    Kannan.R.
  • thanks for sharing. would you have more photos from the visit -

this is Dr jaybee sir 's article on the Vatapi Ganapathy

http://www.visvacomplex.com/Ganesa_ Worship_ In_Tamilnadu.html

interestingly he mentions of another ganapathy brought back as a war trophy

"Incidentally, RAjEndra ChOlza himself did bring a statue of Ganesa from the
    shores of the Ganges River. It is in Gangai Konda ChOlzaPuram and the Ganesa
    is appropriately called "Gangai VinAyagar". (Actually his C-in-C did it.
    Rajendra was in Chidhambaram building a new capital city). "

refer this article of Dr Nagaswamy sir,

http://tamilartsacademy.com/books/tavam/chapter14.xml
  • Hi All,

A few years back Mr. M. Karunanidhi hadmade a statement that Vathapy Ganapathy was the first Ganesha idol to be installed in Tamil Nadu. He said that the song "Vathapy Ganapathy" was in honour of the same lord installed in Thiruchenkattangudi.Thiscreated an uproar and he was criticized.People like Jayendra Saraswathi said that Lord Ganesh had killed a demon called Vathapy and the song was in praise of this incident.
    But if we notice there is no mention of Lord Ganesha in any of our early Tamil literature.Even I had heard that there is no mention of Ganesha in Thevaaram also. It would be great if anyone can share some related information onthe missing Lord Ganesha in Tamil literature.
  • Dear satheesh

Pillayapatti is a puzzle. Stylistically the cave is assigned to 3rd
    ce, but not sure how they arrived at it. Its also assigned tp pandyas,
    again not sure how.

Thumb rule, if cave has linga which is cut into bed rock: its pandya.
    If linga is placed ( diff stone) is pallava. Of course somaskanda
    panel at the back is additional proof for pallava.
  • I have heard that this concept of bringing Ganesha from far away kingdoms and installing them to make the country flourish, made way for 'vinayagar thiruttu' of recent times :-)

It is supposed to have started from Vatapi Vinayagar.

- R
  • Interestingly, we find most of these carvings in Thiru Paran Kundram rock cut temple.The Linga stand alone with a background of Soma skanda ,standing Durga, standing Perumal (against a sayana perumal of Chendur), Ganesha etc. Inner building has a different vahana placement against outer vahana placement. Very unique temple for visitors interested in looking.

Many unique carvings can be found there (including the Shiva in a Varaha roopam).

I was more fascinated by the way Somaskanda was present in his own marriage :-) Revolutionary.. and makes way to the thought of Muruka avataram or thiru vilayadal at various times.

Also, temple's get rebuilt / re-constructed as kings/rulers change, for example Susindram temple, inner boundary is authentic (marked by the placement of Bhairava and outer boundary was constructed at a later stage and the carvings are different (larger in fact).

- R
  • Here is an exposition on Ganapathi
    R. Narasimhan
  • Pathu Pattu and Ettuthogai will be the answer.
    Thirumurugattupadai is the first one to talk about muruga.
    Dating each of these should be done scientifically, but we always proceed on an assumption. For instance, Tamil was not used in administration during the Pallava time.
    This will meet your querry.
    R Narasimhan
  • " For instance, Tamil was not used in administration during the Pallava
    time.
    This will meet your querry."

Dear Sri R Narasimhan

Can you please explain what you meant by with the above.
  • Hi,

Thirumurugatrupadai is considered to be the last work of Sangam (usually not attributed to same age as other works - other works which are classified as Late classical are Kalithokai,Paripatal.)

Earliest references of Muruga can be found in Akam and Puram. Though no mention of Deivanai in any of early Sangam works.

And about Ganesh worship in Early Tamil nadu, I have never come across any reference about Ganesha.

Though one can references of Ramaayana,Mahabaratha,Parasurama,krishan,Balarama,Arundati,Vishnu,Shiva,Lakshmi,Indra,Kubera,Muruga,Korravai,Valli.

Seeing all these reference I beg to differ from one member saying that "dates of worship of Ganesha are pushed to AD".. these reference just point out that in Tamil Nadu Ganesha as god was still not popular(or in the worst case was not worshiped as separate god)- this has nothing to do with his dates pushed beyond BC. Ganesha worship would surely have been prevalent in other parts of India and might surely predate Christianity. Any body who read Sangam literature would understand that the religious practices of early Tamilians were totally different from what we are practicing today. There has been slow and steady changes with each century and major change coming in during the Bakthi movement. So to take Tamil Nadu as case study and tell statement about Ganesha worship doesn't hold good.

One other fact to be considered here is Sangam literature Muruga had a pinimuga vaganam - meaning elephant as his vahana. Elephant as Muruga's vahana was more prevalent that peacock as his vahana in Sangam. Logically if u look into it, it was like Nadhi to Shiva- Garuda to Vishnu. Having Garuda people didn't need one more eagle god. Having Nandhi people didn't need one more bull god. Similarly we have to consider a case where elephant had some spiritual significance due to Muruga. This is totally my suggestion with no valid proof or reference - but should surely be looked into.

Also read in one of the books till 9th century there was no statue of Murugan with Valli and Deivanai. IF at all a sculpture was found before that period it always had Muruga alone in Tamil Nadu. Hope VJ can thow more light on it!
  • Dear all

Murugan is Kuringi god. So defenetly there must be some mention.

I heard that there is a paripadal on thirupparamkundram and the murugan there.

Valli was there before 9th century. "Valli Manalarku Thadai Kan" = Appar
  • Dear Friends

What is this STARTED:

We have all Vedic Gods in Tamil culture

Indra, Varuna, Vishnu, Muruga and Durga as the main gods of Aindinai.

Shiva F/O Muruga was the head of first Tamil Sangam.

Hetested Nakkeerar. ( This is not just story, Appar sings about " Dharumikki Porkizhi allitha- in Tiruppattur thevaram.)

In sangam Litrature there is a mention of the " panguni Uttiram" Festival at srirangam.

Use simple logic. if a=b & b=c then a=c.

Vedas and velvis referred in Sangam. Then vedic godswere also there in sangam.
    Palyagasalai Peruvazhudi ( who performed many yagams) is of 6th century BC

Then all vedic gods were worshipped in tamilnadu in those ages.

As some body said, if books are lost at let the logic and reasoning be there
  • According to me, the two Kailasanatha temples (one is now called Ekambareswarar temple) were pre-mahabalipuram..they were sanstone structures. Mahamalai was an experimental station for sculpting on granite...yes, the Pallavas succeeded to sculpt the seven pagodas in granite inMahamali. The Kailasanatha temples were actually models. You can visit Kailasanatha temple and compare with the Mahamalai experiments.

If you see reason that Indo-Aryans wanted an identity for themselves, then you will not question the creation of Gana Pathy or Viswa Nayaka. It is logical..sun worship yielded place to Ganapathy worship. And Dravidians followed suit increating Muruga, another representation of the sun.And again, Nataraja and Ayyappa were other formats of sun worship.

R. Narasimhan
  • Hi Vairam

the word piNimuka vahana, is debatable when we consider it as elephant vahana or the elephant who doned the peacock flag.

Actual verse
    "maNimayil vuyariya maara vendrip piNimuka oordhi voN ceyyon"

Read like this:

MaNi mayil vuyariya maara vendrip piNimuka
    - The Elephant who has the flag raised above with a peacock (Ganesha
    with a peacock flag).

Oordhi von ceyyon
    - That peacock was his ride, one of Ceyyon.

According to me,this Muruga and Ganesha are the same faces of different energy force.

Muruga, from texts has always prominently placed Ganesha ahead of his ventures for removing obstacles.

Thiruppugazh: "Velai thanakku sidhamaaga, Vezham azhaitha perumaale"
    - For condusive success to be placed, the Lord calls for help of the tusker

Ippadi thaan nu sollale...Ippadiyum irukkalame nu solren...

- R
  • " According to me " !!!

I would want to write more but its too too basic or rather elementary to
    even argue with your wild hypothesis. You got to know how to crawl before
    you start running. There are volumes and volumes of high quality works
    published on these marvels - tracking the evolution of these structures
    architecturally , epigraphical studies etc etc. I would request you to study
    them and try to reason out your stand rather than shooting off such
    preposterous statements without proper substantiation.
  • I am amazed that you reject an argument just like that. Earlier statements were surmises and assumptions based on the background and knowledge of the persons. Research is based on logic. I have been studying for years and I am still a student. I question everything.
    Mere cussedness will not be a substitute for logical arguments. For instance, why do you say that Indo-Aryans and Dravidians did not want an identity of their own? They did, and are still continuing the fight for identity.
    R. Narasimhan
  • ok , my friend. Here you go

Before we start, must clarify something to you - I am not an expert nor do i
    have any formal training /degree on this subject and hence am as much a
    student as you - however, i have spent considerable time on these -
    including building a collection of over 5000 + photos of mallai alone and
    another 3000+ of Kailasantha. I have read most of the published works on
    these two sites. I have featured much of my path of self discovery through
    my blog posts in poetryinstone. Me and family have been doing lot of silent
    service to Tamil language and art, which we dont publicise and i will leave
    it at it. So please do not habour any feeling of hidden agenda etc in your
    mails.

This is what you said:

" According to me, the two Kailasanatha temples (one is now called
    Ekambareswarar temple) were pre-mahabalipuram. .they were sanstone
    structures. Mahamalai was an experimental station for sculpting on
    granite...yes, the Pallavas succeeded to sculpt the seven pagodas in granite
    in Mahamali. The Kailasanatha temples were actually models. You can visit
    Kailasanatha temple and compare with the Mahamalai experiments."

Back to our core topic, to make it simpler - let me ask you a few pointed
    questions. again please do not go on rhetoric but take time to provide
    straight answers ( dont want any back questions on aryan / dravidan etc - to
    derail this discussion) - if you are ready to have such a mature discussion
    then, lets start

Can you comment on below based on your study

1) Period of Kanchi Kailasantha and three distinct phases of mallai ( caves,
    monoliths and structural temples)

2) Authorships ( even if disputed) of Kanchi Kailasantha, Mallai major
    monuments - so called 5 rathas, great penance, various caves, olakkaneshwara
    and shore temple

3) Inscriptions of the mallai monuments and Kanchi Kailasantha. Can you
    elaborate or give a short list.

4) Sculptural styles. Say for eg, please read the series - Evolution of the
    Somaskanda image on my blogsite. Maybe you can explain stylistic changes
    better.
  • Dear Mr Narasimhan

With due respectes, i feel your theories are wild imaginations
  • Dear all

you can read thirumurugatrupadai in this link.

1. Brahma, Vishnu, Sivan, Dakshinamoorti ( Alamar selvan) Parvathi on both forms Malaimagal and Kotravai ( Kotravai Kumara) , Thirumagal all are there.
    2. Can any one confirm that the thani padals also belong to Nakkeerar. Then Ganapathi is there in the Thanipadal.

http://www.chennailibrary.com/pathuppattu/thirumurugatrupadai8.html
  • Dear Sankaranarayanan

very nice BEFITTING reference.

thank you very much.

regards / sps
  • Dear all

One more intresting link.

The periyamankulam ganesh is exactly like Pillayarpatti. ( but see 4 hands). The one in hand is clearly a fruit or modagam.

All belong to pandyas and south of cauvery. ( Mostly in and around enga uru)

http://ganapati.perso.neuf.fr/anglais/atn/atn5.html

Now Ganesh is in many caves of pandya kingdom ( thirupparamkundram ganesh is one more)

Narasimhavarman married Nindraseer Nedumaran's sister ( isnt it?)

Many pandya caves with Ganesh.

What is the time period of all these caves.
  • Friends,
    Isn't that Ganapati website given below, a treat?
    Photos of hundreds of Ganeshas all over India.
    I found it a couple of years ago
    and really enjoy referring to it.
    Kathie
  • Highly informative.

thanks and regards / sps

=============
  • a file has been uploaded on this in out files section (please search
    for Kanchi paramacharya.pdf ) which was forwarded by Guru Vamsa.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters