srory of india by michael wood retelecast in discovery channel
  • BBC-Story of India-Discussions Part 4
        - Michael Wood says that the big temple named after him. SPS said it is not.-
            Yes. SPS is correct. The big temple was not named after Rajaraja Cholan. Please explain SPS sir,so that I can verify the reasons known to my little knowledge are correct.
    Madhu
  • Dear SPS uncle, Sorry to differ also from you. The temple is not named after the King. The King was named after the Rajarajeswaram Temple.
         The Big Temple has the Maha Meru on its top. There are 8 important gods standing on it looking on 8 directions. They are  Anandhan, Sukchuman, Sivothaman, Ekanethran, Ekaruthran, Thrimurthy, Seekandan, Sikandi and these gods assist the Lord Sivam to control and operate the Ichai, Kiriyai and Gnanam sakthis of the universe. They are called  Rajarajeswarars. Rajarjeswara  is the nameof the post given by Sivam for his assistants. He orders and control them.  That is why the temple is called Rajarajeswaram and Arulmozhi Varman was named Rajarajacholan.
         "Sree Rajarajechurm udayar Sree Vimanam Pon meivithan Sree Rajaraja Devar" was the sentence inscribed in the Gopuram inside wall which was found by Dr.K.Nagasamy and Kudavasal Uncle around 1997 and a article was e also named like this.
         Kindly correct me if I am wrong.
    Madhu
  • Yes. I think I know. The other gopurams are Keralandhagan Thiruvayil and Rajarajan Tiruvayil. Keralandhagan Tiruvayil was taken for the victory against Bhaskara Ravivarman in 988AD.  This gopuram contains the rare sculpture of Siva with 5 heads and 10 hands. The Rajarajan tiruvayil has the 18 ft. tall  single stone dwarapalakas . And it contains the stories from Sivapuranam and a temple for Indran. This is all I know,
        Other than Big temple inscriptions, is there any other inscription mentioning the name Rajarajan before completing the temple?
    Madhu
  • -how would u date the victory over chera to 988 AD?-
         Rajarajan was crowned around 25th June 985 AD. His first war and victory was mentioned in his 4th year inscription and  'Kanthalur Salai Kalamarutha...'   in his Meikeerthi. He has 3 types of Meikeerthis and all give the importance tothe first victory over chera. His 4th year is 988 AD. At that time the Chera King was Baskara Ravivarman Tiruvadi (978 - 1036) and his inscriptions are found in Tirunangur. So Rajarajan won the Chera King in 988 AD.  . Am I correct ?   (Meen kuttiki neenja theriyumannu pakkaringa.....mmmm)
    Madhu
  • Hi VJ Anna,
             Kanthalur Salai is just south of Vilignam. Kanthalur would have been  under Pandya and later came under Chera along with Vilignam. First war of Rajaraja was against Amarapujanga Pandyan.and the war started at Kanthalur and came down to Tirunelveli. 
             Tiruvalangadu plates tells about Rajarajan's victory over Amarapujangan. But the inscriptions found in Kerala is 2 years earlier than the inscriptions in Tirunelveli. So, the first battle of Rajarajan should have started from Kanthalur.and came down to South = This is what Venkiah writes in the prefcre of SII 2.
             TA Gopinatha Rao identified that a  part of Trivandrum, now named as Valiya salai was Kanthalur Salai which is away from Vilignam. 
            The second session of battle after 10 years against Chera and Pandya at Udagai is  different and not connected to the first one.  ---- Correct me, if I am wrong,please.
    Madhu

• Hi VJ Anna
         I am calling everybody like anna, akka, uncle, thambi etc. only. It creates some intimacy with others.
    Even if I make a mistake the persons will not take it seriously and advise to correct. I move very easily with others that helps to learn more and more. This came from my childhood and not because of others age etc.
         I have some collections of Rajarajan's inscriptions and all of them are at home in Chennai. After my return I will try to send them to you. I have  also collected the 42  Rajarajan's inscriptional names.
         I am also week in Tamil and what is sanskrit? Is it a tiffin item?
    Madhu
  • So Ragul, you say that Venkatesh at college house(?) was 70 years old sivapazham in disguise......and you regret for the meet......?
        Akka nan irukken, thambi VJ irukkaru ...kavalapadatheenga. Indha pakkam vandhidunga. Gokul, Venkat pakkam pona , aruthu varuthu thinga pappanga.
     Madhu  
  • Aiyo aiaiyo..paavam shoba akka aayitanga..athoda vittuduga (sorry vittudu :) madhu :) Yella annakkalam akkavnu sollitta kashtam :)
    Rahul peru 'hu' 'gu' illa mma:)

Amam indha email address nejamava unnudu dhana? Edho appa thitnaaru adhu idhunnu kettapla??? :)
  • Hi Maloo akka. Ithu ennoda mail id than.Engathila ellarukkum rendu rendu peru veipa. 1st akka Mythili, athila, sorry veetla Lakshmi, 2nd akka Sridivya, veetla Deepu. Nan Jayashree, veetla Madhumitha. OKva?
         Neenga US-la irundha nera 4750 Wilshire Blvd.Los Angeles CA 90010 addressukku vanga. Cognizant people neraya irukka. Jayashree alias Madhumitha and her id ellam nijamannu parunga. If you arein India, coming January varai wait pannunga. Nera varane.
         Amam, athenna anthapakkam musiri srinivasachar. Sriram Carnatic summersnu thedaringa. inthapakkam Kamal's Kallala adikkatheenga lyrics ellam oru vari vidama ezhudhareenga.
     Sugar potta milk rice sadham vechi thottukka Andhra Avakka ooruga vechamathiri aha, enna taste akka ungalukku. super.
    Madhu
  • Hi Madhumita, peru koopida nerava irukku..LA varaikkum vara venam..:) US enna chumma vandi pottutu povangale pazhaiya kalathula, andha madhiri gidu gidunnu vandhuralam nu solreengala ?:)) Also just fyi personal address ellam groupkku ezhudaradu konjum carefula irunga maa..neraya per padippanga illaya..it is just for your safety and welfare :)

Enakku avalava musiri avar ivar ellam theriyaduma. I was looking for something for my dad. Classical music nalla theriyum, but not familiar with old artists and slow styles konjum bore adikkum. Carnatic summers is a very inspiring book. Sadharanama namba oorla western books padikkaradu pazhakkam, for inspiration - this is a refreshing difference. Ellaruma padichu pakkanum oru dharam..i highly recommend to understand how much of effort and inspiration was there in our own culture.

Kamal song..actually after a very long time I thought he had come up with something sensible when I heard that song..that is all. Nice comparison..pal sadam to oorugai..:) BTW andha programla kamal carnatic song kooda konjum nalla padinaaru maybe i should have posted that :)) appo paal sadam thottuka sakkarai madhiri aayidum illaya :)

Malathi
  • Dear
    How do you call me?
    Dr L Kailasam
  • Hello brothers and sisters,

Could anybody correct the headline of this mail please. Is really Story of India or Srory of India?.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters