alias Vijayarajendra Achariyan and his troop at this temple, on the
    occasion of the big annual festival known as "Udaiyar (i.e.presiding
    deity) Vaikaasip Periya Thiruvilaa".
    (Reference - SII Vol 2, No: 67)

This great Tamil Emperor Rajaraja Cholan - 1 after a remarkable period
    of 29 years of rule, died in the year A.D.1014. His war achievements
    during the period of his rule, was 'possibly' composed into a literary
    work titled the "Sri Rajaraja Vijayam", and was read - apparently on
    special festive days - in temples in Thanjavur.
    (Reference - Thiruppandurutti, Thanjavur - Ins No: 120 of 1931)

Unfortunately these two compositions have still not surfaced as Ola Leaf
    Manuscripts, Are these two compositions in Tamil or Sanskrit ?? Could
    they be found in Sarawathi Mahal Library or in any Oriental Manuscripts
    Library?? or are they possibly lost for ever. Readers advices please.

Virarajendra
  • Dear Virarajendra,

Dr. Nagaswamy, Former Director of State Archeology, was instrumental in bringing out several aspects of the Big Temple & RRC.

Scholars of Kapila Vatsayayanan and others of International repute do consult him only on matters related to the big temple & rrc.

Some of his works are avl in :

www.tamilarts academy.com :: Search through MSN. You will get more details.

He tried his best to get these works - but in vain.

Then he enacted Rajarajanatakam in the big temple itself... Also organised SOUND & LIGHT SHOW there .. during MGR's regime....

Similar show was conducted in thirumalai naciker Mahal - Madurai also re Nayaks.

Later on these matters got diluted.

But it is good that these matters are again and again brought to the attention of New members as well... so that some remote link may be obtained as Pointers.

thanks and best regards / sps
  • Dear Sir

I was haunted by these two facts so much that I wrote a full novel to quench my own thirst & others. In Rajakesari you will see Rajaraja vijayam coming alive... its preparations, possible scenes etc.
  • Date: 12-5-2009

Dear Thiru Gokul,

I was very pleased to note that your have written a novel titled "Rajakesari" incorporating informations on "Rajaraja Vijayam".
    Is it in the Web?? or is it in Print.

Please advise whether by chance you came across this Original Document in Old Leaf Manuscript form, or in the Modern Print form of same, or whether you gave life to the fact of it's existance during the medieval Chola period in your historical novel, with your own intution of how it would have been.

In the meantime two days back I came to know of the "Srirangam Barathanatiyalaya" in Thirutchi, who have listed out in their Website the names of 'Naatiya Naatahangal' (e.g such as Kuttraalak Kuravanji) enacted by them at various dance programmes both in India & Overseas.

Among these Naatiya Naatahangal one happens to be the "Raja Raja Vijayam". I wrote two E-Mails to them to the E-address given inquiring on them, but unfortunately the E-Mails didnot go through but returned. I will next try on the Handphones given therein, to ascertain whether this Naatiya Naatakam was based on a play from an old Ola Leaf Manuscript or not.

I am giving below the URL of this Website for you information, and if possible you too could contact them and find informations pertaining to same.

http://www.srirangamnatyalaya.com/history.htm

Mikka Anbudan

Virarajendra
  • Date: 14-5-2009

Dear Thiru Gokul,

I came to know that there exists a literary work in Tamil titled as
    "Thanjai Peruvudaiyaar Ulla" - a pirapantham composed by Kottaiyur Sivakkol on the Thanjai Peruvudaiyar - the presiding deity of this temple, and probably it relates also to the history of this temple.

elong to a period long before the Naayakkar rule in Thanjavur around mid fourtenth century, as after Naayakkar period the Peruvudaiyar was known as the Birahatheeswarer.

Kindly let me have some information on same, should you have already seen or read this Literary work.

Mikka Anbudan

Virarajendra
  • Hi

a nice link in layman terms on different types of tamil literature

http://www.lisindia.net/Tamil/Tamil_lite.html

venketesh
  • >
    > Dear Thiru Gokul,
    >
    > I came to know that there exists a literary work in Tamil titled as
    > "Thanjai Peruvudaiyaar Ulla" - a pirapantham composed by Kottaiyur Sivakkis on the Thanjai Peruvudaiyar - the presiding deity of this temple, and probably it relates also to the history of this temple.
    >
    belong to a period long before the Naayakkar rule in Thanjavur around mid fourtenth century, as after Naayakkar period the Peruvudaiyar was known as the Birahatheeswarer.

repost of message 15422

Msg 15442 :: PERUVUDAYAR ULA
    Inponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com, "Sivapathasekaran"
  • - Dear Venkat,

Very nice to have brought back..

thanks and best regards/ sps
  • > Is it in the Web?? or is it in Print.
    > the medieval Chola period in your historical novel, with your own
    > intution of how it would have been.

Dear Sir

It was my own imagination based on the practices around dance / dramas during the chola period. I heavily relied on Dr Kudavoil's Thanjavur and Dr Kalaikkovan's Chozhar Kaala aadar kalai.

The drama you are referring to (by srirangam group) could be the one created by Dr Nagasami, obviously in memory of the lost drama of the past.
  • Dear Mr. Gokul

Your reply sent on 18th May seems to have missed on one point. I am
    unable to locate your answer to the question "Is "Rajasekari" in the web
    or in print"

May be I am missing a message exchanged in between. Where may I find
    the book to read?
  • > unable to locate your answer to the question "Is "Rajasekari" in the

http://www.varalaaru.com/Default.asp?articleid=294

In Print

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters