Gangai Konda Chola puram, Pragatheeswarar Temple
  • In chola period the temple architectures were great and based on Agamas.
    I found that the Vygrapatha, the Samana Sage who converted to Saiva had written Pancha ratra, the agama text and had constructed 24 Temples In Kancheepuram and Virudhachalam, Villipuram etc.,

Now is there any up dates in Gagai Konda Cholapuram Architecture and Pragatheeswarar Temple Archtecture?

How the place for temple construction was selected and any other relevent News?

Can anyone  tell me which web sites you recommand.

Dear friends, I also gathered the Arka Prakasa by ravana the lankathipathi based on Rig vedas. But I wish to cross exam the details and will post once I am fully satisfied with the evidences.
  • I found that the Vygrapatha, the Samana Sage who converted to Saiva had written Pancha ratra, the agama text and had constructed 24 Temples In Kancheepuram and Virudhachalam, Villipuram etc.,

possibly pulivanam, puli pakkam ( photos posted in folder)
  • Dear Venketesh,
    He's on a lot of pillars at Hampi, KARN., also.
    Kathie
  • vygrapatha the pulikal munivar used to climb on trees to pick the bilva leaves for puja. also when he plucks flowers after dawn the bees have already touched them.

so devoted was he that lord shiva appears before him and grants him any boon.
    vyAgrapAda out of his devotion asked for the eyes and legs of the tiger, so that he could go very early in the dawn, even before the bees wake up, to pluck the flowers very fresh - not even touched by the bees to offer to God ! That is why he was called vyAgrapAda

vyagar in sanskrit means tiger. similar words are in many asiatic languages
    the mughal name Babar also means tiger

I guess the most numeber of shaivaite temples linked to one animal name must be the tiger. puliyur is another name for chidambaram.

the two temples visited by the group members
    pulivanam has a pillar sculpture of a tiger clawing a lingam( the main lingam has claw marks too)
    pulipakkam is a hill top temple near chingelpet.

venketesh
  • > I found that the Vygrapatha, the Samana Sage who converted to Saiva had written Pancha ratra, the agama text and had constructed 24 Temples In Kancheepuram and Virudhachalam, Villipuram etc.,

Hi

I didnt know he converted from jainism.plese tell us more on it.

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters