• Dear Jeyachandran
    That was excellent....
    Now Does Ashoka trees blossom I have never seen them but it was very informative mail
    Kind Regards
    Sri
  • Hi Sri

the ashok tree he is talking about is definitely not what we call the ashoka today. thats actually called saraca.
    the ashok tree under which sita sat is a different species

venketesh
  • Dear Venkatesh,
    You are right that we are speaking about Saraca Indica whenever we are refering to Ashoka blossoms. It is pretty interesting to know that Kalidasa in his Ritusamhara describes about these blossoms in different occassions which causes love and seperation.
    In Ritusamhara there is mention of the blooming of lotus (Nelumbo Nucifera)when hugged by the chest of the maidens, blossoming of Ashokam (Saraca Indica)when the maidens kiss the flower, blossoming of Chootam (Mangifera Indica) when the maidensthink of there lovers and so on. (there aremany references in Kumarasambhavam also).
    Scholars like Dr.Kapila Vatsyayan has quoted that Ashoka blossoms were applied as a paste by the love lorne heroines to overcome the pains of seperations (may be references to Pasalai noi as mentioned in our Litt)

DearSwaroopini Balachandran,
    As asked the term DESTROYER is associated with MAARA for the reason that the symbol of MARA was earlier associated with a destructive force. One should get remined of the dialogue between GAUTAMA and MAARA (the destroyer- dark skinned yaksha with a stealthy feeling to divert GAUTAMA and destroy his wish and peace), before GAUTAMA entered PARINIRVANA and became GAUTAMA, the BUDDHA. Hence MAARA is called as destroyer (of peace too).
    It is also true that KAAMA was also associated with creation. The cult of KAAMA poses a good example how the prototype of KAAMA appraises himself in the divine pantheon to be called as god of creation and destruction. It is true that Kaama was associated with mind, the mind of the parabrahma on whosestate of mind (remember MANOJA, other name of Kaama which means born out of mind)creation and destruction was carried on. This pushes the date of KAAMA motif very early and HE sound very similar to EROS as in Greek mythology who has a similar role to do with MIND, LOVE, CREATION andDESTRUCTION.
  • >>>Chootam (Mangifera Indica)

mango???

venketesh
  • Yes. It is mango blossoms.
    Tender mango leaves are Manmata's sword and its blossoms are his 3rd arrow.
    There are occassions in certain musical compositions were mango tree and branches are also included in the scene description. The terms like 'Mancholai' and 'Maaveri kuyil koovum' are some phrases used in tamil compositions used to describe the association of Mango with love description.
  • Dear Jayachandran

just one doubt.

do we have so many details of manmatha because he is a frequent charecter in ancient classics, or do we know so much about other minor gods too?

venketesh

>
  • Some scholars have done exhaustive studies on minor dieties and we come to know that the dieties like ashta dik devatas such as Indra, Vayu, Varuna, Agni, Ishana, Kubera, Nritti and Yama have their respective loka, wife(s), father, mother, brother, kingdom, place of dwelling, specific job profile, extended profile, vahanas, horse, chariots, cavalries, infantries and so on.
    There are considerably quite a bit of informations about pantheons and layers of demi and semi-gods such as Gandharvas, Kinnaras, Kimpurushas, Vidhyadharas, Siddhas, Apsaras, Yakshas, Yakshis, Nagas, Anangas, Adityas, Rudras, Maruts, Ashwins, Rakshasas,  Asuras, Pisachas, Sastas, Rishis, Munis and so on.
    I beleive that I cleared your query. If not please let me know.
  • http://www.siamese-dream.com/page/siam1/CTGY/article-hindu-gods-gandharvas

PLS SEE WHETHER THIS HELPS..

the link leads to other related links too.

regards. sps
  • Dear SPS,
    Thank you for the link.
    The term like 'APSARA' literally means 'born from water'.
    Given the characteristics of a APASARAs that is:
    who are very delicate
    who are almost invisible
    who raise towards the heaven in the mornings
    who descend back to earth in the nights to play
    who dance in the courts of INDRA (the lord of the sky) 
    One almost wonders whether we are speaking about the 'water-cycle'. Are APSARAS are symbolic representatives of water-vapour-clouds-rainfall? according to Srimad Bhagavatam 'SRI' or 'LAKSHMI' was born out of the milky ocean after the apsaras were born. Lakshmi has much to do with water, prosperity and life force.
    One of the interpretation of Gaja-lakshmi symbology is that, elephants besides Lakshmi are symbolised to represent clouds. When the elephants (clouds) pour water (rainfall), the symbol of auspiciousness (mangalam) Lotus is born and on top of it sits the embodiment of prosperity (tiru, lakshmi, sri). As a whole Gaja-Lakshmi stands for properity (Sritvam)
    Feminity, prosperity, nakedness, sensousness, progeny and water are synonymous in symbology and one faculty can easily slip into the other to mean the same.
  • Hi Jeyachandran, could you post the origins of the story - which purana/epic it was stated. I am guessing Srimad Bhagavadam but would you know which chapter?

Manmatha is regarded as Sri Krishna's son with Rukmini, per Srimad Bhagavadham.Rati, his wife is the daughter of Daksha the king of himalayas.

The Kannada poet Kanakadasa wrote a poetry text called MohanaTarangini based on Manmatha's stories in Bhagavadam and Mahabharat.It is similar to Jayadeva's Gita Govindam.

Kalidasa in Meghasandesham also refers to Manmatha with arrow with mango blossoms and bow of bees.

Arangalur near Salem is supposedly where Manmadha was burned to ashes by Lord Shiva.

Malathi
  • Dear Malathi,
    Just an enquiry.
    May I know for which story you are asking the source? Manmata jananam? or Manmata Dahanam?
    Little not clear. sorry.
  • Hi Jeyachandran, I'd like to know both, based on what I know Manmadha Jananam is in Srimad Bhagavadham. Not sure of Dahanam. Please clarify.

Thank you

Malathi
  • kama was born again as krishna's son praduymna wasnt he?

venketesh
  • > Arangalur near Salem is supposedly where Manmadha was burned to ashes by Lord Shiva.
    >
    Hi

what about thirukurukkai one of the 8 Veeratta Stalams

Tirukkurukkai is associated here with the destruction of Manmathan by Shiva.. Various towns around here bear names of incidents connected with Manmathan's tryst with Shiva. Eg. Kaalvalaimedu, Kanganamputhur, Vedanallur, Villiyanallur.

Tirukkurukkai is located 8 km northwest of Mayiladuturai and is considered to be the 26th in the series of the Tevara Stalams located in Chola Nadu north of the river Kaveri.

venketesh
  • Venkat, quite possible, there are lot of multiple temples associated with thala puraanams. And yes you are right Pradyumna was considered Manmatha reborn.

Malathi
  • When Kaam disturbed Lord Shiva's Thapas Shiva got angry and burned him to
    ashes. On Rathi's request he was reborn as Pradyumna ...

~ Udanx
  • It's always extremely scary when Lord Shiva opens
    his third eye!
    Kathie
  • > It's always extremely scary when Lord Shiva opens
    > his third eye!

Hi Kathie

could you list the instances when there was a need for it.

I could think of only 2.

and by the way in the archieves we have a host of mails on the lizard's 3rd eye. you must remember there is a lizard etched on the roof of chidambaram temple.
    so is one on the sorga vasal entrance of srirangam.

venketesh
  • Hi,
    is there any shivan temple in Arangalur near Salem?

Rajee
  • Kathie, all of these stories have deeper spiritual undertones.

The ego in us is the Manmatha, "the agitator of the mind," and that has to be turned into ashes through the impact of divine
    vision. The divine, the Easwara, will not yield Himself to physical charm, worldly authority, muscular or intellectual
    or financial power. This is the inner meaning of the Manmatha episode.Parvathi underwent extreme austerities and
    subjected herself (that is to say, her ego-consciousness) to sun and rain, cold and hunger, and thus transformed herself.
    Finally,Easwara (Siva) accepted her as half of Himself.

Malathi
  • Actually another version of the same story has it that Siva granted Rathi a boon that her husband would be visible to her eyes only.
    Which seems more believable as Manmatha is regarded as invisible and is present in almost every myth and legend imaginable.
  • Shiva's third eye has inspired millions around the globe since ages, Adobe being the latest one. Before that, CERN was inspired by it. Its the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known as a highly respected centre for nuclear research focusing primarily on fundamental physics, finding out what the universe is made of and how it works.

At CERN, the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments are used to study the basic constituents of matter — the fundamental particles. By studying what happens when these particles collide, physicists learn about the laws of Nature. CERN established a two metre high statue of Nataraj, the dancing form of Shiva with an open third eye at their headquarters in Geneva. A special plaque next to the Shiva statue explains the significance of the metaphor of Shiva's cosmic dance with several quotations from The Tao of Physics . Here is the text of the plaque:

"Modern physics has shown that the rhythm of creation and destruction is not only manifest in the turn of the seasons and in the birth and death of all living creatures, but is also the very essence of inorganic matter,for the modern physicists, then, Shiva's dance is the dance of subatomic matter.Hundreds of years ago, Indian artists created visual images of dancing Shiva in a beautiful series of bronzes. In our time, physicists have used the most advanced technology to portray the patterns of the cosmic dance. The metaphor of the cosmic dance thus unifies ancient mythology, religious art and modern physics."
  • It is not scary but happens on a purpose, in this case, the event was planned for Kumaara Sambhavam.
    For enlightment to be born, the aphrodite must be burnt with the energy force of focus between one's eyes...

Does that mean something :)
  • Dear Venketesh,
    The only incident I remember at the moment is
    that once Parvathi playfully put Her hands over
    Lord Shiva's eyes, and the 3rd blazed forth.
    Don't remember what damage it did that time.

Kathie
    >
    >
    >
  • Dear Venketesh,
    re lizards : great one above Thanjavur Brhadeesvaram
    entrance. Golden one on the ceiling in a temple at Kanchi
    [have photo, but haven't actually seen it : in Varadaraja?].
    Kathie

Haven't read all the posts, so hope I'm not just
    repeating things.
  • Hi
    a repost

> > > > -- In ponniyinselvan@yahoogroups.com, "Vijay
    > > Kumar
  • >>>Does Ashoka trees blossom I have never seen them but it was very informative mail

I have put the flower in my new blog check it out!
    http://karkanirka.wordpress.com/2009/04/23/99tamilflowers_71_80/
    flower number 75 pindi
  • Dear Malathi,
    Here's the fine Thiruvengadu Nataraja, I feel
    should be the cosmic model. . . elongated arms,
    Narasimha Rao face, etc.
  • Kathie, Nataraja with Narasimha RAo face?? I am not sure..which Narasimha RAo you are referring to? Attachments do not post to the group btw you'd have to upload in photos or email someone directly.

Malathi
  • Malathi,

You are using yahoo groups web inteface?? If you could use your mail box,
    you can see the image - yahoo
    enabled this sometime back.

Siva
  • Thanks Siva. Kathie can you resend if you don't mind, honestly am baffled at a Nataraja that looks like Narasimha Rao!!
  • > Here's the fine Thiruvengadu Nataraja,

thiruvengadu is called aadhi chidambaram or the ' early chidambaram"

the sabhai for natarja is an exact replica of chidambaram minus the gold roofing.

two other famous sculptures in thiruvengadu are of course the collosal agora moorthy and the pillai edukki nayaki( goddess carrying a child)
    the latter is behind the brama vidyambal shrine and has parvathi carrying a baby on her side.

venketesh

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters