Tamil Movies that impacted our life
  • We have had discussion on books and songs before..was wondering if we could talk on movies that have impacted people's lives somehow. If possible let us not talk of out and out entertainers or fan based movies, just what had some emotional impact at some stage in our life (I still remember Satish's argument on 'what chagned our life' so am not using that phrase:))) My list is as below...

1 Avvaiyaar - This movie inspired my interest in tamil and tamil literature, i watched it at age 6 or so with my grandmother and she explained most of songs/lyrics. At age 8 or 9 when most students went for Hindi as second language I opted for Tamil and this movie was inspiring in that regard. Although most of the movie appears to be fiction (ascertained via Thiru Vairam!) it is still very inspiring for KBS's performance as Avvai and some glimpses into Sangam period.

2 Unnaal Mudiyum Thambi - KB Masterpiece with great performances by Kamal/Manorama and all. Don't think there is any need to say more.

3 Sumaithaangi - somewhat less known flop movie by Sridhar with off beat story, great performances by Muthuraman/Gemini. Very memorable for KD songs particularly the inspiring Mayakkama..Kalakkama which is on top of KD songs for most people.

4 Paavamannippu - religious integration and great music again. I watched this movie with my best friend who was a muslim while in 7th or 8th grade and it made us even closer.

5 Paasamalar/Lavakusa - emotional outlets, am ranking both these movies together as both are tearjerkers, but if you live 6000 miles from home you will realize how much you need them! Pasamalar everyone knows enough although I regard the story as completely unrealistic it is very watchable for many reasons other than that. Lavakusa, outstanding music and the best portrayal of Uttar Kanada on movie screen.

Waiting to hear from all!!
  • My list - would surely have lot of foriegn language movies!
    1. Aval apadithan - Movie on women's liberty a movie well ahead of time, probably ahead of times for people who watch it even today.

2. Lives of others (german movie) - Movie abt two people being spied by the East german government. The guy who spies the two people get so moved by the life of the two people that he starts to save them from the government. Simple story packed with emotion. Movie which will shake you emotionally...simply a brilliant movie.

3. Schindler's List - another great movie, abt one guy who saves lives of so many jews during second world war. One mans effort to save people, unthinkable act.

4. Naan kadavul - after seeing the movie I wrote a big blog on the experience of it. More than the movie the part of the beggars really affected me. Its one of the many things we know its bad but still do everything in our power to ignore it.

5.Iruvar - the love for the movie developed very recently - its a master piece , esp for Mohan lal, Vairamuthu and Maniratham. has two Sangam poems in it + so much of Tamil political history!

6 Punnagai - One old Balachandar movie where 4 friends take oath to be truthful in life, but none except for Gemini follow it. Very nice movie it.

7. Talk to her (Spanish movie) - Movie about a guys love for a gal and to what extent he goes to be in love with her.very emotional movie.

8. M (german) - A 1931 movie - absolute masterpiece. A story where local dons form a netwrok of beggars to catch a notorious criminal.(Bcos of this guy Police are cracking down on all illegal activities , so they decide to nab him - so that they can do their business as usual)

9.Once - a musical released in 2006. The cast has no major people except for two musicians. There is no story at all, they two meet compose some songs and seprate after a week. But the music is one of the best I have ever heard. Juts for the romantic music all through the movie!

10. Ragging Bull - a movie abt a boxer who finally became nothing but a loser in life. DeNiro's acting is at the best , but I like Joe Pesci's acting more. DeNiro won an Oscar for this movie.

11. Fireman's Ball/Closely watched train (chezch/serbian) both movies for their natural subdued comedy which I have rarely seen in movies. most movies have situation based comedy or slapstick. These movies have a natural comedy through out.

12. Seven Samurai/Kagemusha/Run (Japanese) - all movies formt he master akira Kurasowa - Takes you into world of samurai's so authentic, you will be spell bound. He is also great with masala movies( Yojimbo and sanjoro are his samruai versions of cowboy movies - both are amazing).

13. Apocalyspe now - Very psychotic movie - how a person turns mad by the end of war. A true classic.

14. Full Metal jacket/ 2001 A space odessy - both movies of Stanley Kubrick - should just see for the technical brilliance and attention to details.

15.To Kill a mocking bird - The movie should be watched by all fathers! The hero, Gregory Peck as father of two kids is awesome. Manirathanam had heavy inspiration from this movie. The kids role in Anjali movie is direct lift from this movie( the tom boy sis and the bro) and also prabhu charcter also has inspiration form the movie...

If I have to give a list it would go to ten parts .... stopping with this now.
  • Hi Vairam, that was a great list!! I am saving some of your comments for me to watch esp the german movies. I deliberatly did not include english movies in my list, i have a whole dairy full of them and it will overshadow local language discussion, same thing happeend when we discussed books!

BTW I had no idea Anjali's bro/sis were from KAMB. Looking at it yes!! Thank you!! How many subltelies our movie makers copy (although Mani is someone I greatly respect!). I saw a big screen showing of KAMB just after Gregory Peck's passing last year. It was one of the most memorable theatre experiences for me.

Malathi
  • > BTW I had no idea Anjali's bro/sis were from KAMB. Looking at it yes!! Thank you!! How many subltelies our movie makers copy (although Mani is someone I greatly respect!). I saw a big screen showing of KAMB just after Gregory Peck's passing last year. It was one of the most memorable theatre experiences for me.

I wouldn't say it a copy , i would term it influence. It can be found in all his movies. Some of the things I have noticed

1. Auytha Eluthu - Madhavan - Meera Jasmine character - from Street car named desire - Marlon brando and I forgot the heroine name.
    2. Nayakan - godfather - Killing of Reddy brothers when his wife funeral happen - lift from godfather - killing of the families when he becomes god father of his sister's son
    3. Auytha eluthu - Screen play - 3 characters meeting each other - ameros persos- except for the screen play nothing else is same in the movie(ameros peros is about love).
    4. Pagal nilavu - the whole story is lift from Marlon Brando's On the waterfront. There were enough changes though. ( the direct remake was Ghulam(aati kya kandhala) in Hindi).
    5. Anjali - one song has ET + star wars inspiration.
    6. Kannathil Muthamittal some Mexican book. I dont know the name.

Except for Kannathil Muthamittal all other movies i realised when I saw the original.

Interesting tit bit, American Film institute rates Gregory peck's character in TKAMB as the No. 1 Hero in American movie history. Any one who saw the movie would know he has no fiery dialogue or action or even great emotion. But the character itself by its superior virtues stands out.
  • Vairam, I regard the Anjali cycling scene as blatant copy, no 'influence' there!! I disliked Ayutha Ezhuthu much for the portrayal of wife beater and did not watch at all so cannot speak to that. Very good to know about Pagal Nilavu and Kanathil...btw I have a mexican friend who might know so I will check with him on the original.

Nayakan is kind of an odd mix. It is a great movie by indian standards. Without a doubt. Of course it is more than an influence, it is out and out copy of Godfather in many scenes, right from Kamal's gait and pan chewing last days. Let us call it a good adaptation, perhaps.

Malathi
  • the hospital shifting scene from agni natchatram- godfather
    kannathil muthamittal was i beleive a true story of a korean girl
  • Sorry for the confusion,
    from IMDB
    The movie is inspired by a Time magazine article about an American couple who took their daughter to Philippines to meet her biological mother.
    some forum say that it has inspirations from the following movie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrets_&_Lies
    Vairam
  • Nayakan - also Kamal hair scratching after he gets old! he would have mimicked Brando in every possible way. Only the black suit was replaced by white Dhothi Shirt!

Please see Street Car Named desire, there is some brilliant psychology in the two characters. Brando is primarily a wild animal kind of character and a wife beater. Her wife is soft but loves his character. Every time he will hit her. She will run and go to her neighbors(actually floor above to her house). Then Brando will go begging after her and bring her back after some time. Exactly at this place we will have sandakoli song in our Tamil movie!

Vairam
  • Nice list

Mine would be
    One who flew over the cuckoo's nest
    As good as it gets

Both movies show how human values effect life in our everyday walk,

Schindler's list - the movie that really moved me for obvious reasons.

Manohara: I heard the audio tape of this movie when I was studying 5th grade, by 6th grade the tape was in my memory word to word.
    I moved on from Tamil to French from 6th grade, but Manohara kept me going till ponniyin selvan came along :-)

Taare Zamin par: I think this movie was possibly one movie that keeps us reminded on a day to day pointer - listen to your kids.

Humor wise: Michael Madana Kama Rajan & Thillu mullu were quite fun. Both Kamal and rajini have got special humor counts in them.

More than any movie, my greatest change came from the movie Jhonny, where Rajini talks about desires to Deepa, something in the lines of
    'Ondrukku mela innondru nu poikite iruntha vazhkai naragam ayidum' (dont remember the exact line though).

- R
  • I used to watch many movies before but now not htat much! The movies which are my favourite are:

Punnagai: I agree with Vairam sir! The different smiles of each person......! I can't forget the scene where Jayanthi smiles when she could have been suspected by her hub.

Nenjam marapadhillai: A story of rebirth. The songs and especially the humming by Mrs.P.Suseela in the title song takes us into the story.

Lage chunari mein daang: A Rani Mukerjee starrer film in Hindi. Rani is forced to go astray because of her family situation. And her life thereafter makes the story.

Pudhu vasantham: One of the few Tamil movies where love goes to the second place. A good view on friendship.

Taare zameen par: A kid with dislectia, his interests clashing with his parents expectations.

Baabul: The fight of a single man to get back a life for his widowed daughter in law.

Parasakthi: Mr.Sivaji Ganesan's super entry into the field. Can anyone forget those dialogues?

Ratha kanneer: Mr.M.R.Radha's casual act and strong screenplay. After he becomes blind till the end the story is full of sorrow but the dialogues still being casual is the great wonder in the movie!

ILLAVARASI

• very good link... thanks dear Vairam.

regards / sps
  • Interesting List.. Ilavarasi ....

UNNAL MUDIYUM THAMBI - impressed me so much ... (they touched too many things in the same movie :: Child labour - Green revolution - apathy to caste system etc.)..

THANNEER THANNEER :: Basic problem of Rural lands in India / South atleast.

For Comedy :: KADALIKKA NERAMILLAI ...

sps
  • >
    > UNNAL MUDIYUM THAMBI - impressed me so much ... (they touched too many things in the same movie :: Child labour - Green revolution - apathy to caste system etc.)..
    >
    tree planting,inter caste marriage, prohibition, etcc.
    actually it should have been like a documentary...
    but in balachander kaivannam

the starting song of a beggar " akkam pakkam paaruda sinna raaja"
    was phenomenal.

venketesh

i loved this scene too
    a dumb brother saying okay to his brothers intercaste marriage
  • UMT had so many moments that were Balachander at his best.including humor..like Gemini says 'Nalla maatukku oru soodu da' and Kamal goes 'mattukku thaane appa :) Then Kamal's facial expression when Sita says her name is K Malam (Kamalam). And the moment in the car when Gemini refuses to stop for a worker dying of injury. My only regret is the ending which is too dramatic, could have been made little subtle but ok.

Thanneer Thaneer was very good movie too but credit for that goes to the original play by Komal Swaminathan.
  • I remember just the movie..not the name...
    Balachandar's movie

Saritha's first i guess. She comes in as comercial sex worker.
    Rajnikanth as a rowdy. They get married and try to get reformed. But they end up again in the same way as they started.

Very nice movie but not able to remember the name, if any body can give the name I would be really happy.

Ratha kaneer is a brilliant movie . Still it can be enjoyed! Literally Vivek would have lifted each of MRR reaction in so many comedy scenes.

Oru veedu iruvasal, Achamillai Achamillai are also good movies from Balachandar.
    Like IMDB some on should start Tamil movie list. Esp this generation needs to see classics of the 60s-70s-80s.

Vairam
  • > Baabul: The fight of a single man to get back a life for his widowed daughter in law.

Speaking on Widow remarriage (already discussed movie ratha kanner) I would like to mention one of Barathiraja's lesser known movies ' pasumpon' . I really loved the movie. Prabhu goes away from his mother after her mother gets remarried and gets baby out of that marriage. Very sensitive subject and brilliantly handled one.

I dont know how I missed Vedham Puthitu!!!!!
    One dialogues still in my heart 'balu kirathu unga peru ...devar rathu neega vanguna patama?'... na karai eriten neenga innum kara eralaye!'
    One of the most sensitive movies in Tamil.

>I agree with Vairam sir!

Illavarasi,
    Sir'a vitrungale ...romba formala iruku...makes me feel old..(I have not even reached quarter century yet)!
  • -hi Vairam,
    The dialogue of Vedham puthithu is like evergreen punch dialogue.In most of the Bhagyaraj films also had such type sensitive messages like "naalu pathni perai sollunga" I think you know the full dialogues.Its really a wonderful scene but i dont know the name of the film.

Rajee
  • thappu thaalangal
  • How do you all see "Anbe Sivam" ?
  • Anbe Sivam:- I would vote this as my MOST FAVOURITE of all times. Excellent portrayal by Kamal and Madhavan. I was going to write about this while I saw this message from Venkateswaran Sir. A great movie!

The other movies that impressed me was

1. Shashawnk Redemption: A jailed convict how he manages to escape. May look simple but one need to see this.
    2. The Sixth Sense: No explanation needed.
    3. Unnal Mudiyum Thambi
    4. Samsaaram adhu Minsaaram:- Though Cinematic in many scenes, many day to day joint family issues have been analysed beautifully.

When it comes to comedy: I would put 1) Michael Madhana Kama Rajan and 2) Vasool Raja MBBS on top of my list. I was watching Vasool Raja on Sun TV last Sunday and believe every joke seemed to be new and more and more new jokes were discovered. Example: The scene in which the friend (a girl) of Sneha tells Kamal " pOnga mappiLLai, mounam sammadhamdhaan". Kamal will think weirdly for a second and will say " sa..ri....... macchi........". I just could not control the laughter there.

• As Venkatesh said, 'Anbe Sivam' tops my list.
    This is one movie that talks about so many aspects of life from 2 ppls point
    of view. One who understands it and has accepted it as a part of life. And
    the other, like most of us, have seen such things only on TV and newspaper,
    but have never had first hand experiance.
    How the 2 ppl react to these is just awesome. We all know about Kamal's
    acting prowess. but Madhavan truly stole the show!

The others would be:
    2. Kannathil Mutham Ittal
    3. Anand (Hindi movie - Rajesh Kanna and Amithabh)
    4. Children of Heaven - A superb movie based in Tehran about 2 young
    children,brother and sister. Some of the scenes in the movie were shot using
    hidden camera coz they wanted to keep the shooting secret!
    5. Iruvar
    6. Rang De Basanthi
    7.Tare Zameen Par
  • Impressive list of movies.

Schindler's list, As good as it gets, one who flew over the cuckoo's nest are some movies that really moved me.

Manohara keeps a special place in my heart, I remember first listening to the tape when I was in 6th grade , by 7th the tape was totally in my memory. Ever since I was fascinated by Tamil and Cholas until PS came in my life at 11th grade.

Manohara will be my special light for a long time to come.

Michael Madana kamarajan did teach me on how humor is around every corner and I had failed to recognize it. Now at any time humor is our best friend, MMKR helped me with that concept.

- Ravi
  • Hi

"Street car named desire" has a classic Brando with his playboyish looks. Vivian Leigh as Brando's Sister-in-law was mesmerizing with her fears and her
    stories. At one point, I felt probably Brando was the villain as he plays the wife-beater, but in effect he was actually helping her get to reality.

Another Brando War Classic would be Apocalypse Now.
  • How can we miss Avargal? The first depiction of emotional abuse and superlative performance by both Rajini and Kamal. KB's list is very long really, Nizhal Nijamagiradhu, Manmadha Leelai, Arangetram, Aval oru thodargadhai..all outstanding social issues.

I missed Pasumpon too, I loved BR's movie on female infanticide, waht is it, some Kannamma? and his 16 vayidhinile is the first realistic village movie ever, so memorable for so many reasons. Vairam, I have to disagree a little on Vedham pudidu it was too cliched for my liking. Did have its moments though and an absolutely beautiful Amala!

Malathi
  • Where is this thread going? People are listing the movies which they like -
    If not all many of them.

For example what is the take away from Manmadha Leelai ( I must accept that
    I love this movie. But is in that movie? How did it impact (Y)our life.
    Nothing

Similarly 16 Vayadhinile -- No doubt its a watershed movie as far as Tamizh
    cinema is concerned. But what is the take away

Since it has become more of a list of movies which a person likes my 2 cents
    as well

1. Anbe Siva -- Adhuthavanukkaga Varutha padra manasu irukke - Adhu thaan
    Kadavul
    2. Guna
    3. 16 Vayadhinile
    4. Kizhakke Pogum Rayil
    5. Sigappu Rojakkal
    6. Niram Maaradha Pookkal
    7. Pudhiya Vaarpugal
    8. Bharathi Kannama
    9. Porkaalam
    10. Pandavar Bhoomi
    11. Pandavar Bhumi

The English list is as follows

1. Patton
    2. Rain Man
    3. Falling in Love
    4. Ben Hur
    5. 10 Commandments
    6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    7. Trading PLaces
    8. To Sir With Love
    9. Mackenna's Gold
    10. The Guns of Navarone

~ Udanx
  • > For example what is the take away from Manmadha Leelai ( I must accept that
    > I love this movie. But is in that movie? How did it impact (Y)our life.
    > Nothing

I was hearing a Myskin(Anjathe,Nandalala) interview , he said seeing a MGR movie is just entertainment but when a MGR hits 100 people to save justice, even thought the viewer will never peform this act , he will atleast feel there is some injustice happening we have to do something(wether he acts or not is not our problem). A film can give only that much of an impact, it can never `change a life of a person'. All a film can do is show a problem and show a solution.

Similarly the film we say we like has made some impact in us in an unknown way. Some where down the line subconciously it affects our decision making. So I dont prefer to rule out the films I like since, it has made some impact on me but it has not resulted in any useful outcome as of now, some times in my life time it might or it might not!

Different view, watching a movie when ur idle keeps ur mind occupied and prevents your mind being a devil's workshop. That itself is a biggest impact of a movie!
  • IPL matches to be played in South Africa.

Much thrilling (???) than any other tamil movie thriller.

Rgds.
    N.Balachandar
  • .. and then these movies as well:

1) Maha Nadhi
    2) Naan Kadavul ( in recent times )
    3) Chak De India ( Hindi movie )
    4) Mullum Malarum
    5) Kai kodukkum Kai
    6) Uthiri Pookkal
    7) Roja
    9) Black ( Hindi movie )
    10) Paruthi Veeran
  • > Another Brando War Classic would be Apocalypse Now.

isn't that a Martin Sheen Movie?? or Brando was also there? But one
    movie everyone remember Martin Sheen was Apocalypse Now.
  • Vairam,

In Ayudha Yezhuthu Manirathnam wants the youth to take politics seriously.
    How many of us have done that? I don't want our members to start a Lok
    Paritran and fail. At least you can vote. You may say I vote ... Then Why is
    that the average voting is hovering around just 60% for the past 42 years!
    Even after Ayudha Yezhuthu ...

Another example

"To Sir with love" the black & White version is too good a movie but what
    impact did it make in the society. The only impact to the best of my
    knowledge is that we talk even years after its released. That's the impact
    you want to talk about.

Movies don't make an impact. It gives you a feel good feeling. If that's
    what you are trying to drive I am with you...

~ Udanx
  • The story is Martin Sheen is given an assingment to kill Brando. The story is some what like VT searching PS( in the sense VT has more role but PS is the Title Hero).

I saw the REDUX version of the movie. It has an additional one hour of footage. It was brilliant!
  • Dear Siva,
    Yes, we do remember that M. Sheen was in Apocalypse Now.
    He had a heart attack during shooting and the movie
    cost a fortune to make w doubles, etc.
    Kathie

ps can't add a thing about Tamil movies - never seen one.
    & I realize how many of you hate us to get off topic. Sorry.

pps my favorite Indian movie [perhaps fave movie of all]
    is 'Pather Panchali', hands down! and it was Ray's 1st try!
  • Hey Udanx man I started saying something more only after others..ML is not my life changing or even favorite, it is one on list of KB movies that is all. What is the take away , do you remember last hilarious scene of several kids chasing Kamal with 'appa, appa' :)) Like Vairam said all a movie can do is offer a perspective that you might not have thought of that is all, and most KB movies did live up to that.

Malathi
  • I disagree, i have seen impact not once but several times. I can relate some stories. There was a girl in my school when we were in 6th grade or 5th. Her father was a constant drunkard and she suffered very unhappy family situation. She was always a good student although not first and very sincere dedicated, after 5th grade her grades started falling rapidly. The teacher and some of us friends discovered that her grandmotehr who was the only caretaker at home had died and now she was only left with the two constantly bickering parents. Despite repeated counselling nothing would help this girl. Until one day the nun found out that she liked music. We had a school showing of Sound of Music a few days later, and she wanted to know the meaning of the song 'Climb Every mountain'. We were not old enough to grasp meanings right away, so the sister used that opportunity to explain the song to her, play it on piano, even taught her to sing. It gave that child some happiness, honestly you could see it on her face. After that every week the nun made it a point to find one song and teach the whole class but specifically to her. Today she is a doctor and doing extremely well.

She recalls Climb Every mountain to this day as the song that saved her from total depression and hopelessness as a child. As you said Udanx yes movies make us feel good. Sometimes people need to feel good to go on with their lives.

Never under estimate the power of the media. More Americans have been saved from suicide by Shawshank Redemption than any suicide hotline, it is a proven fact. Nobody can say in a linear way this movie will have that affect but on the other hand to write off everything as 'feel good nonsense' is well..completely untrue.

Malathi
  • Dear Kathy, looks like we are having a mixed discussion so do come up with your favorites as well. As for Ray and Pather Panchali you get the Nobel prize for patience from me for watching and appreciating. No offence at all but I have tried that is all.

Perhaps if you are used to life in India certain things do not have the same kind of appeal...

What are some of your more mundane faves ?:)

Malathi
  • Dear Malathi,
    I'll tell you why. I'm always looking for that 'epiphany' moment : when
    something is so moving yet understated it just overwhelms you
    emotionally. P. P. has two moments like that for me, maybe 2 1/2 --
    First when the auntie, after she's been driven away, is found not far
    from the home, dead w ants [that's the 1/2].
    But the biggies are these :when father finally returns from Kasi with
    saris for wife and dtr. Ravi Shankar's sitar keens, and finally, for
    the
    1st time, mother weeps for her dead Durga.
    2nd biggy is --as the family is leaving for good, for Kasi, Apu is
    examining the wall and finds the pathetic little bead bracelet that
    Durga had denied stealing, where she'd hidden it. It makes me nearly
    tear up just thinking about it -- and Apu throws it into the pond.
    I can't think of many films that have moved me as much as that one
    did.
    Other favorites are A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Rebecca,
    How Green was my Valley, also To Kill a Mockingbird :
    [when Scout says, Hey, Boo] You can see I'm a total romantic.
    Kathie
  • >>As for Ray and Pather Panchali you get the Nobel prize for patience from me for watching and appreciating. No offence at all but I have tried that is all.

The movie was really slow , typical art house movie. I am not able to appreciate the movie much , though it is brilliant taken.

Did any one see The wrestler which released last year?
    I really loved the movie, esp while I was in school I used to watch Wrestling on TV. The director's(Daren Aronofsky) other movies are also good PI, Fountain, Requiem of a Dream.

Entertainment and Thriller - Christopher Nolan is great - all his movies are simply brilliant - Momento, Prestige, Batman Begins, Dark Knight.

I also like David Fincher's Seven and Fight Club.

Client East wood movies are consistently good - Unforgiven, Mystic river, million dollar baby, gran torino
  • Tit bit:
    Rebacca - only Hitchcock movie to win Best picture oscar!
    As far as Tamil movies - Shanti Nilayam (Gemini Ganesan film) has heavy inspiration from the movie!
  • Hi A
     How many of us have seen "The Hurricane" - starring Denzel Washington? This movie is often played on in Zee Studio.
  • And also from Sound of Music.
  • Dear Kathie, perhaps i must watch PP again and observe the 'moments' you mentioned...i watched a very long time ago and as Vairam said it did not have much appeal.

I share your other list, absolutely love How Green was my valley, Kill a Mockingbird and Rebecca..gosh if there ever was a classic, and Olivier is sooooo handsome and romantic, isn't he?

I love musicals perhaps being used to indian movies with so many song situations. My Fair Lady is my eternal favorite, I can watch Sound of Music still but has gotten a little stale due to so many watchings. South Pacific is awesome too. BTW being a romantic how did you miss Roman Holiday?

More later,

MAlathi
  • Oh, I forgot Roman Holiday -- when Hepburn gives
    them that fabulous smile when she's back being
    a princess - what a lovely woman!
    Kathie
  • > Oh, I forgot Roman Holiday -- when Hepburn gives
    > them that fabulous smile when she's back being
    > a princess - what a lovely woman!
    How about breakfast at Tiffany's?

Vairam
  • I didn't like Breakfast at Tiffany's so much don't remember why saw it a long time ago. Yes Audrey Hepburn was a lovely woman - Sabrina, Funny face, How to Steal a Million, Wait until dark..the list is long and each one of them a classic although Roman Holiday and My fair lady are her bests in my opinion.And if anyone gets to see a documentary she made 'Gardens of the world', if you are a plant and garden enthusiast it is a visual treat. She has a rose and a tulip named after her by the way.
  • She was also at her loveliest in the '56 'War & Peace', what an
    appealing
    Natasha! That also had a poignant death of Prince Andrei, I'll never
    forget.
    Kathie
  • May I ask : who do you people think are the handsomest Indian actors?
    Who are the loveliest Indian actresses?
    from everywhere in BharataVarsha . . .
    Please give email references so I can see them. . .
    Kathie
  • Kathie, I must see that one, War and Peace is on my list of half completed books for like 7 years now quite a record but considering the pace of the book I don't blame myself too much.

Audrey Hepburn was a very admirable person in more than one ways. She changed the image that movie stars have to be buxom well built women (her own frail stature due to starvation and malnutrition during world war ii), during her later years she travelled all over the world for various charities UNICEF being the most prominent. In fact she was the most famous movie star of that time known for her social work (there may have been others but she was most well known). I remember my grandmother telling me after watching a documentary on her work 'oru cinemakkarikku ivaalavu nalla manasa' that means she has a great heart being a movie star (in those days movie stars were only reputed for their money and lack of morals).

Malathi

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters