• Hi Venkat, thank you, that is fascinating. Here the last lighthouse keeper retired in 1990. Now the US Coastguard runs all lighthouses and most are electric powered. Many are discontinued due to technology and navigating systems like GPS and only serve as building monuments to an ancient past.

There is nothing better than a visit to a lighthouse to just understand history and how far we have come. How much human effort it took to keep the lights burning through then night and how many souls were lost in dark seas with that as only hope....BTW, do we have any information on historic lighthouses in India? How many are still in working condition?

Malathi
  • Venkat, interesting.. my research tells me that KD wrote this song, I may b know KD later stopped writing for MGR as he thought the songs were increasingly losing thematic value and becoming blatant hero worship which was true.The last song he wrote was 'Anbu nadamadum kalai koodame..' for Ulagam Sutrum Valiban which also has an interesting story to it - his payment was delayed several months and he was promised payment in month of May which did not happen since movie was delayed. So he wrote this song with a hidden message to MSV and MGR that his payment was overdue.. (every last word of the song ends in 'may'!!) MGR with his unerring attention to detail found out the hidden message and his payment promptly arrived :)

Malathi
  • hi to all,

is anybody know which temple is that which comes in "O Vasantha Raja from the movie Neengal kettavai ?

Rajee
  • is it GKC?

vauge memories- archana and banuchander

veketesh
  • I think it is GangaiKonda Cholapuram.
  • It is indeed GanagaiKonda Cholapuram temple, the so called replica of Tanjore big temple.
    Rgds.
    N.Balachandar
  • Hi balasubramanian
    thats nice.
    was always under the impression vanthiyathevan was mentioned only in one kalvetttu.

please do enlighten us on these from a historical viewpoint.
  • hi,
       The pictures are really wonderful !!!! These pictures& explanation about it will make others to visit those places.

Rajee
  • hi,
      I am reading Cherar Kottai novel in Varalaru.com. And i also had  read RajaKesari &Paisasam novels.These novels are very nice to read. These novels are very intresting & he had also given  meaning to many words that were used in those days it is very useful .I had checked some mail in the name of gokul in this group. I want to know that this gokul is the writer of those novels.

Rajee
  • Obviously Yes!

• Hi,

The facts are really interesting ones. May I ask for more if permitted, Balasubramian Sir?

Thanks & Rgds.,

Shiv
  • Hi sri balasubramaniam,

Rrc had between 13 and 15 wives. We already discussed this at depth _ you could search our archives

Vanthiyathvan having more wives. Akilan wrote in vengaiyin mainthan about this, but I am not sure of inscriptional evidences to support. We have also had discussions if rrc married kundavai+ vt daughter.please provide data to support ur claim of vt + other wife issue.

On kundavai living in pazharai. Again we know that there are tons of inscriptions of her donations in all chola temples of the period and hence pretty obvious that she was almost permanently there or rather did not have or vt did not have a seperate abode! But I would like to see how u date her age at 60 and why she didn't live with vt and why particularly in pazhayarai

Rrc having a disease and building the temple to get cured. Personally I think this is the most ridiculous of myths associated with the big temple. Please do support with evidence, else do not propogate such.

On rjc marrying chinna pazhuvettaiyaars daughter. Again please support , as per my understanding chinna pazhuvettaiyar was a fictional character. Infact malaiyamaans and vaanathi's father ( who died in battle in lanka) are real characters. You can find cross ref in the mahavamsa.but the pazhuvettair clan must have come up post rjc period.

On the assasins being brahmins- we have already discussed at depth the udayarkudi inscription as well as its new interpretation by dr balu sir.refer our archives.
  • >>>We have also had discussions if rrc married kundavai+ vt daughter.

yes indeed
    how did such a junior wife become the pattathu rani
    also kundavi and she have done many thirupani together

and of course rrc had a rastrakuta wife( so was vanthiyathevan )

venketesh
  • VT had another wife?? I think we had already discussed this, but still
    I would like to ask, any reference to it any where??
  • Hi Venkat, is 'rastrakuta' wife another name for 'junior' wife? Also kundavi and who did many thiruppani together, am just curious to know?

I remember some evidence that VD had one more wife, or perhaps it was from another historical fictional novel. (Almost no men in royalty had one wife those days so it is only question of # not one).

M
  • rastrakutas were a ruling race
    vanthiyathevan most probably came from one branch clan.

RRC's wife( chief wife) was a rastrakuta princess

kunthavi and the chief queen of RRc did a lot of temple thirupani together ( was it thiruvarur?)

so we tried to put both together....
    appa moochu muttuthE

VJ take over please

venketesh

> I remember some evidence that VD had one more wife, or perhaps it was from another historical fictional novel. (Almost no men in royalty had one wife those days so it is only question of # not one).
    >
    > M
    >
    >
  • Hi to all

iniya PUTHANDU VAZTHUKAL

RAJEE
  • Hi,
        I came to know that there is a statue of RAJA RAJA CHOLAN near the big temple. Is it true? How far it is from the temple?

Rajee
  • Hi,

Just outside the big temple complex eastern entrance, facing East, a contemporary statue of RRC is installed... say about 20 - 25 years back.

anbudan / sps
  • Hi,

You can find the photo of this statue here
    http://svprsk.blogspot.com/2008/11/blog-post.html

This photo of RRC statue outside the BIG TEMPLE is captured on the last
    Sadhaya Vizha occasion.
  • Also you can check for the photo of Raja Raja's painting from his period,
    taken by Sriraman sir in the file section.
  • Welcome thiru.
  • hi,

can anybody tell the place(the sculptures) of the song 'MAHARAJANODU.... ' from  the movie Sathileelavathy.

Rajee
  • its VGP golden beach i think

http://www.poetryinstone.in
    Here the language of stone surpasses the language of man
  • Dear members

Can any body briefly tell what is the story in Romapuri pandian written by our CM

• Hi people,

This is a page which is about the great Chera king Senguttuvan, This is my effort to others to know about the king Senguttuvan, So please join this page by liking it and make others to join also, Click the link below 
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheran-Senguttuvan-சேரன்-செங்குட்டுவன்/112825405463000
  • Hi people,

This is a page which is about the great Chera king Senguttuvan, This is my
    effort to others to know about the king Senguttuvan, So please join this page by
    liking it and make others to join also, Click the link below
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheran-Senguttuvan-சேரன்-செங்குட்டுவன்/112825405463000

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters