Nagai Buddha vihara in news.
  • Date: 27-2-2012

Anbulla Mikka "REACH CHANDRA"

I have extracted the section dealing with "Nagapattinam Pagoda" from the "Hindu" - History & Culture Articles Column of the date 26-12-2012 as given by S.Muttiah with the help of your Link - solely for the purpose of enlightening the Readers a little more on same.
  • Date: 28-2-2012

Anbu Mikka Vijay - some informations on what your requested.

dhist Temples built at Nagapattinam on the order of different kings from overseas countries.

Two of them (as we already know)were built on the request of the Sri Vijaya Emperors Chulamanivarman & Mara Vijayountungavarman and were named as Rajaraja Perumpalli and Rajendra Chola Perumpalli between the years A.D.1006 and A.D.1022.

Other two Buddhist Temples were built at Nagapattinam on the request of two Chinese Emperors.

The first among them was built by the Pallava king Narasimha Potavarman alias Rajasimhan (A.D.685-720???) (Also referred to as Narasimhavarman - 2)".....in the nineth month (of the year A.D.720) the king of South India Che-li-na-lo-seng-k'ia-to-pa (Sri Narsingha Potavarman) constructed a temple on account of the empire (i.e.China). He addressed to the Emperor a request asking him an inscription giving a name to this temple by decree. It was decided that the name should be "Which causes return to Virtue" (Koeihoa) and it was presented to him. (i.e. Emperor sent Narasimha a tablet with the inscription Koei-Hoa se, so that it might be placed on the front of the temple erected in India by Narasimha for the benefit of China)

NOTES ADDITIONNELLES SUR LES TOU-KIUE (TURES)OCCIDENTAUX By CHAVANNES
    Extracted from FOREIGN NOTICES OF INDIA By K.A.NILAKANTHA SASTRI -page 117.

The second among them is referred to as follows;

"......The Theras and Citraduta however travelled on foot to Nagapattinam and there visited the site of the Padarikarama Monastry and worshipped the Image of Buddha in a cave constructed by command of the Maharaja of Cinadesa on the spot on the sea shore....."

KALYANI INSCRIPTIONS (OF BURMA) - TRANSLATED FROM PALI BY TAW SEIN KO -1892

Trust these informations are of interest to you.

Mikka anbudan

Virarajendra

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top Posters